OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

How about this spot in the Lower Slade Valley? Can't work out how to do a direct link to OS maps via Bing:

image.png.89aa290c8e0e23d3a5dd6d8a1bd0e398.png

Plausible location for engine, 'S' bend in track, very steep wooded valley.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

My gut feeling is somewhere on the Barnstaple line, which was profusely wooded, but I didn't know it was quite so mountainous. How's about the approach to Venn Cross viaduct? - about half way down this page:

https://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/oldsite/MEMORIES-BARNSTAPLE.htm

Whoa! Such memories! The photo at Dulverton really struck a chord with me. As a lad I used to travel regularly from Exeter to Dulverton on the train (relatives farmed on Exmoor) and I remember great excitement one day seeing two Moguls there at the same time as my Exeter 14xx.  I could have been on that train! And yes... I concur with Miss Prism.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The train appears to be corridor stock in a one-colour livery so will be 1956 onwards.

Allocations derived from BR Database and SLS info on that site

83B  Taunton              4w/e19/05/1956

85A  Worcester           4w/e 05/10/1960

84B  Oxley                   4w/e 24/03/1962

89B  Croes Newydd  4w/e 14/07/1962 (BR Database)

89A  Shrewsbury       4w/e 03/11/1962

TO STORE                   4w/e 09/02/1963  (SLS quoted on BR Database)

To Western Region   4w/e 02/03/1963  (SLS quoted on BR Database)

87G Carmarthen       4w/e 29/06/1963

WDN                           4w/e 29/09/1963

Except where noted the dates roughly tally.

Given the state of the stock it looks a while past 1956.

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

How about this spot in the Lower Slade Valley? Can't work out how to do a direct link to OS maps via Bing:

image.png.89aa290c8e0e23d3a5dd6d8a1bd0e398.png

Plausible location for engine, 'S' bend in track, very steep wooded valley.

Ilfracombe was one of my thoughts as I rode in and out of there behind GWR moguls, but IIRC that didn't have check rails. The pole route was on the outside of the wooded curve and I couldn't resolve it with having milk tanks on the train 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

My gut feeling is somewhere on the Barnstaple line, which was profusely wooded, but I didn't know it was quite so mountainous. How's about the approach to Venn Cross viaduct? - about half way down this page:

There are certainly photos of 6375 on the line in 1959 and 60. 

I do not think I have seen a photo of the line with a slope that steep, that high. Much of the line traversed shallower, broadly E-W trending valleys. I did wonder about the western portal to Castle Hill Tunnel, at the eastern approach to the viaduct, but I think that the trees were more dense and more mature than in your photos by the late 1950s. I don't think that the slope above the other tunnel, Bathealton, was as high.

As far as the train is concerned 3 coaches would be fine for the line, but would have more commonly included a B Set in 1959/60. Similarly milk tanks were occasional sent to and from Torrington by this route, but as far as I can recall when photographed were next to the engine. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The line into Ilfracombe was also double track from Barnstaple Town so definitely not at Slade Reservoirs

Ah yes, that did occur to me when I started digging out my books on the line!

Edited by spamcan61
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I knew this pic looked familiar, seen elsewhere captioned:

"Carmarthen allocated 43xx Class 2-6-0 No 6375 navigates the heavily wooded valley near Conwil with the 10.40am Carmarthen to Aberystwyth service on the 10th August 1963. Note the milk tankers on the rear, conveyed from Felinfach milk factory and left at Lampeter for delivery to Carmarthen."

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

That was one I looked at quite closely and it looked to be the most likely spot of any between Barnstaple and Taunton but several things didn't match all that well including the way the land went immediately alongside the railway.  But it would suit the engine allocation up to 1960.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

I knew this pic looked familiar, seen elsewhere captioned:

"Carmarthen allocated 43xx Class 2-6-0 No 6375 navigates the heavily wooded valley near Conwil with the 10.40am Carmarthen to Aberystwyth service on the 10th August 1963. Note the milk tankers on the rear, conveyed from Felinfach milk factory and left at Lampeter for delivery to Carmarthen."

And going from your suggestion how about this -

danycoed.jpg.deac4e78f847f2355eeca950b6e2e1a4.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/01/2021 at 09:52, melmerby said:

No. That's a censer.

It would provide authentic, if unusual smelling smoke to your layout.

Before I decided that I didn't believe in all that stuff, the Catholic church called their censers thuribles.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/01/2021 at 14:32, TheSignalEngineer said:

The only problem I have is the pony truck occasionally derailing on the straight side of the first set of points on the main line after leaving one end of the fiddle yard. 

Having run several laps with mine hauling three Hawksworths I am very pleased, but do have that pony truck waywardness over a couple of Code 83 Peco points, facing but in the straight position, where it climbs the switch rail. It runs smoothly over others and all the Code 75 stuff. I have not needed to alter any CVs except the address. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Having run several laps with mine hauling three Hawksworths I am very pleased, but do have that pony truck waywardness over a couple of Code 83 Peco points, facing but in the straight position, where it climbs the switch rail. It runs smoothly over others and all the Code 75 stuff. I have not needed to alter any CVs except the address. 

It leaves me wondering if the pony truck is a bit light or the spring needs to be a bit stronger.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

that pony truck waywardness

I have two double slips and two single slips on the layout (scratchbuilt in code 75 bullhead). My Mogul runs well through all of them except for one straight route on one double slip in one direction, when it derails by taking the wrong road at the elbow. Solution: bar the loco from that goods yard.

4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

It leaves me wondering if the pony truck is a bit light or the spring needs to be a bit stronger.

I wonder whether the spring/cam arrangement is causing a slight bias to the right. If it starts to happen elsewhere I might try lubricating the slides as suggested in the manual.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I wonder whether the spring/cam arrangement is causing a slight bias to the right. If it starts to happen elsewhere I might try lubricating the slides as suggested in the manual.

I had the same issue with the close coupling cams on some Hornby coaches. The bogies didn't want to follow the track in one direction but when turned they were OK. I cleaned off the edges of the rubbing surfaces and they have run perfectly well since. 

As far as I can tell my Mogul only shows the issue in one direction. Turning it and running through a similar point configuration at the other end doesn't cause problems. 

• Friendly/supportive 2