OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

1 hour ago, 1466 said:

Wouldn’t it be great if , say Ultrascale , did a replacement gear set to lower the ratio to around 35 to 1 ? 

They probably could.

How many people would be prepared to dismantle the chassis, remove a wheel and gear from the axle then replace and quarter said driving wheel?

I would suggest that anyone prepared to go to those lengths is going to fit a new Brassmasters easichas or something similar.

regards,

Craig W

• Agree 3

Personally , I am committed to the upcoming Brassmasters easichassis which will improve an already  very good model .

However , it won’t by itself address the issue of the gearing  .

I’ve only run my mogul on rollers so far in 00 and it performs nicely but the real test will be once  it is converted to EM and runs on the layout . I hope it will cope with 6 coaches or up to 20 goods wagons . As a cross country runner it will not need super slow running for shunting but slow , steady grunt . 18 to 1 may be fine but instinctively I feel 35 to 1 would be better .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 1466 said:

I’ve only run my mogul on rollers so far in 00 and it performs nicely but the real test will be once  it is converted to EM and runs on the layout . I hope it will cope with 6 coaches or up to 20 goods wagons

That should be an issue as long as it's not a lemon. Mine pulled 20 wagons with ease.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/01/2021 at 22:27, melmerby said:

Doesn't the Mogul?

If not that's another inexcusable omission.

Getting sufficient mass with a large tank loco is easy, less so with a tender engine, so more metal is desirable.

Was meaning compared to the Hornby prairie. Yes the Dapol Mogul does as well I believe. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thought I would brighten folks day by reporting that my recently arrived Sound Fitted Black BR 43xx works a treat on my 12ft end to end layout! 

The only query is that the "chuff" rate appears a little low. I must try to position myself so that I can see the points in the wheels' rotation that a "chuff" sounds, and compare it with where in the wheels' rotation the next "chuff" appears.

Visually it is stunning, but it is going to be very hard to take the weathering materials to this beauty.

Best regards

Paul

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

3 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Thought I would brighten folks day by reporting that my recently arrived Sound Fitted Black BR 43xx works a treat on my 12ft end to end layout! 

The only query is that the "chuff" rate appears a little low. I must try to position myself so that I can see the points in the wheels' rotation that a "chuff" sounds, and compare it with where in the wheels' rotation the next "chuff" appears.

Visually it is stunning, but it is going to be very hard to take the weathering materials to this beauty.

Best regards

Paul

Hi Paul where did you get your sound fitted version from ? 

Cheers 

Pete

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

Hi Paul where did you get your sound fitted version from ? 

Cheers 

Pete

Hi Pete,

It came from AGR in Leighton Buzzard, but the sound was fitted by them.

I think the Dapol sound fitted versions are only just starting to be sent out by Dapol?

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Got my second one today. DC version runs well both ways straight out of the box. Only problem was that the Carpet Fairy tried to claim the front buffer which was loose in the box. I'm getting too quick for her these days, plenty of practice from kit building.

Next job to get the roundy connected to do a full running in and load test.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/OO-Gauge-GWR-2-6-2-Large-Prairie-Update

"Improved Firebox glow"... Translation: Firebox glow might work properly this time. :smile_mini:

These look decent and nice to see Dapol have learnt quickly from the Mogul.

Especially like the removable cab so you can actually see the cab details. Kudos to Dapol on that one.

Will certainly buy one of funds allow

• Agree 2

I must admit I'm slightly concerned about the running plate. Either I'm subject to optical illusions, or it looks like it doesn't quite align with the bottom of the side tanks (and has a very mild curve near the front).

That being said, it's not as blatant as some of Hornby's efforts in the past decade (particularly the 42xx/5205s with curved frames).

image.png.49a8b945b49fc6f13363cf3b6bca4027.png

Edited by MattA
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Also "improved 30:1 gear ratio"

Assuming there is commonality in the mechanicals of the mogul and prairie, an improved 30 to 1 gear ratio would be welcome . Especially if the gear with a one axle  of quartered wheels were to be available as a retro fit . In other words , drop out the old and substitute one axle with new 30 to 1  for a mogul .  Different wheel size for prairie ? Full marks to Dapol for listening and learning . Implications for the Manor but I’ve already preordered an Accurascale one . More pain in the wallet!

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Miss Prism said:

There's something that doesn't look right to me - have those pictures been squashed longitudinally?

I think you might be on to something there Miss Prism - something indeed does not look right.

What do you make of the safety valve covers - they in particular don't look quite right to me, maybe a lack of curvature on the sides?

They've got the route disc in the wrong place on 5150 and I believe it should have a tall safety valve cover - at least I understand she was built with one.

I really want Dapol to get this right as I need a large prairie with the livery and detail combination 5150 should have! The improvements suggested over the Mogul are at least encouraging and suggest a listening mindset.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, BenL said:

What do you make of the safety valve covers - they in particular don't look quite right to me, maybe a lack of curvature on the sides?

They're not too bad in my view, and the same as on the Mogul. There are two inserts on the Dapol tool, one for the tall safety valve and another for the short cover. These drawings do lack a bit of side curvature, which was very subtle on the originals, and there was some variation in the originals, all being hand spun of course.

Don't expect the Dapol EPs to have the correct match of mechanical and cosmetic detail at this stage.

5190 was outshopped with a short safety valve cover (in 1934).

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Informative/Useful 2