OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

22 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

All mentioned in the link in the post above.

Hmm, I’ve used the link and glad to read on the Dapol site that they have sorted the gearing, but whilst I’m sure you are right about the number plate on the smokebox door I can’t spot where it expressly says this.  I doubt that when it goes into production that they would make such a mistake especially as the doors are a pop out component anyway so easily exchanged.

Thanks,
Frank

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hmm, I’ve used the link and glad to read on the Dapol site that they have sorted the gearing, but whilst I’m sure you are right about the number plate on the smokebox door I can’t spot where it expressly says this.  I doubt that when it goes into production that they would make such a mistake especially as the doors are a pop out component anyway so easily exchanged.

Thanks,
Frank

Watch the video closely Frank and you'll notice the relevant numbers of the model in the bottom left of the CAD. 5320 shews a model with a smokebox number but Dapol have history on doing this and they usually have photo evidence to back this up. It obviously doesn't effect sales of that particular version.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if they will make the upgraded parts available as spares to upgrade the original mistakes.  

im tempted but think I will hold fire for the Collett cab version that I really want. Unless I find an unmissable bargain on the current one...

• Agree 1

Unexpected (but not surprising) and very good news. I'm really pleased to hear about the improved gearing which, in my opinion, was the major let down of the first batch. I'll put an order in when I decide whether or not I'd like some lining on my black paint. Dapol really shaping up as a major player in the 4mm world.

I do wonder if there is scope for Dapol to offer an upgrade service for those who took the plunge with the first batch. A small fee to send my 6364 away to have it fitted with the same gearing as its new shedmate?

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

It's a pity the continuous improvement programme didn't include correcting the conn rod length.

Yep you appear to be correct.  I managed to capture a screen shot (side on) from the video and scaled it into CAD.  The connecting rod still comes out approximately 1mm too long.  It should be 6' 10 1/2" between centres and its more like 7' 2 1/2" by my reckoning.

They've still got time to correct it.... 

Frank   

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

It's a pity the continuous improvement programme didn't include correcting the conn rod length.

Totally agree but I was pleasantly surprised to notice that the CAD of 4321 in early condition with cab portholes also had a new tender underframe with the original springs and no transverse vacuum cylinder.

Regards,

Craig W 

• Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

The connecting rod still comes out approximately 1mm too long.

I would say it's at least 2mm too long (extracted from a previous Melmerby posting):

dapol-mogul-conn-rod.jpg.8746bfeb6a2d383d8ab56c23fe76f417.jpg

31 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

They've still got time to correct it....    

I doubt they will. They've known about it for quite a while. It's interesting that the recent gear ratio and slidebar mods had been implemented in design and tooling before the initial set of Moguls were issued. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Increasing the height of the crosshead slippers  by 0.25mm  (total 0.5mm ) will probably cure that at a stroke.  Likewise,  shortening the top & bottom slidebars will allow a degree of straightening to be carried out. 

That said, if Dapol  are selling new & improved spare parts, then I'd be looking at buying those. 

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Further research on 5320 in RCTS part 9 finds she never received outside steam pipes or a smoke box number as she was withdrawn in 9/48. I’m happier in pre-ordering now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, David Stannard said:

Looks like I will be definitely be replacing the last of my Mainline Moguls, I am kind of glad that I didn't get 6336 and I will be quite happy to add another shitbuttoned unit to my roster with 4377.

:jester:

• Funny 1