OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium
On 04/06/2021 at 07:25, Adrock said:

I did wonder whether it was a typo or not! No I don’t use JMRI, haven’t needed to on any loco other than this loco potentially!

I converted the file to pdf (I assume you can read pdf):

6336 CV list.pdf

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Got around to testing 7310 with 8 Mk1s today. Absolutely no issues at all in any area of the layout and good speed control too. I think it would probably take ten but ICBA to try that now. With 30+ vans and wagons the other day, it struggled on my FY bends (36 ") at each curved end of the layout; too much wheel friction on older wagons maybe? Anyway, it only needs to perform with a set of MK1s or maybe the odd excursion as it is on the SR at Seaton Junction!

I've done nothing to the loco except add Decoder and tack glue the tender/loco connector. Express Passenger Lamps might have added some weight....:rolleyes:

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I've done nothing to the loco except … tack glue the tender/loco connector.

That is a good idea. Dapol was very proud of the innovative connector but, as with many innovations, it is (shall we say) suspected of bringing problems in its wake, in particular a weakening of the connection after numerous couplings and uncouplings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

That is a good idea. Dapol was very proud of the innovative connector but, as with many innovations, it is (shall we say) suspected of bringing problems in its wake, in particular a weakening of the connection after numerous couplings and uncouplings.

I had thought about attaching a little extra wire connector but CBA! Used a tad of Evostik which I find is flexible and doesn't really set hard. Seems to be working fine at the moment.

P

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Glad to know that your loco stud has one or two decent engines for when the rail grinders slip to a stand. :jester:

Well I know, but my Spams can handle a load more than 8 so it is difficult to get prototypical slip on starting or even on the move like some did I hear.

I am surprised that the lightweight Mogul is so good for me, but as others have said, if it were to behave prototypically, it needs more weight.  My only gripe about it really is the fit of the chimney top to the base; too visible for my eyes.

P

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, rembrow said:

According to a Dapol release schedule, posted by Rails today, (26 July) the Prairie tanks are currently scheduled for Aug/Sep release.

Well that's bad news for the wallet...

Has anyone seen any images of the BR Lined Green model? They didn't appear with the other livery samples.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I  saw this last night, which prompted a bit of searching on Dapol's  site.  The picture I'm seeing is an Airfix/Dapol kit-built model. I guess that Dapol don't have the actual model yet, and they can't use one with a red box..... So..... 

Reports of ocean-going buoys with arrows pointing "Ever Given this way"  are unfounded. 

if the prairie picture is wrong, please let me know, so I can take my post down.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, No Decorum said:

“All wheel drive.” That’s a good un! :D

"Compensated chassis" got my attention.

I understood the Mogul, now slightly "upgraded", and the Tank would share the same basic chassis.

Has the latest version of the Mogul got a compensated chassis?

13 hours ago, No Decorum said:

“All wheel drive.” That’s a good un! :D

I wonder if that's going to be the same as the Kernow/DJM Adams O2's, I have two on my BR SR/WR 'withered arm' branch and both O2's have very sloppy gearing with one wheel moving before the other, OK once they get going.  Hope Dapol's will be a tighter mesh if they use this system. Not that technical so not sure what other DD systems might be available.

Edited by Guest

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, confused said:

I wonder if that's going to be the same as the Kernow/DJ O2's, I have two on my BR SR/WR 'withered arm' branch and both O2's have very sloppy gearing with one wheel moving before the other, OK once they get going.  Hope Dapol's will be a tighter mesh if they use this system. Not that technical so not sure what other DD systems might be available.

It's a steam engine. Steam engines should drive on one axle and couple the drive to the others, anything else is IMHO asking for trouble.

Dave Jones seem to think gear drive to all wheels and cosmetic coupling rods was the way to go. Not many agreed with that idea.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9