OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

We used to refer to Brains SA as 'Skull Attack'; it always gave you a hangover.

I'm quite partial to a pint of SA, never had a hangover from supping it, but I never had more than 4 to 6 pints in a session.

edit for clumsy fingers

Edited by Siberian Snooper
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Two gay pubs?

I thought there was only one gay in the village.  :jester:

Jason

We have at least 5 gay bars in Cardiff to my knowledge, and they cater to those of that persuasion from the valleys hinterland as well as Cardiff residents.  I actually frequent one of them, Wow on Churchill Way, because it is my end of town and a pleasant enough spot to sit outside of with a beer on a warm day, also, I have a chum who is lesbian and likes the place that I go for a beer with sometimes; we ogle unsuitable young women together! 

But your comment puts me in mind of a visit some years ago to Moretonhamstead in Devon, where a local in the pub put on a yokel show for us tourists hoping for a beer out of it, you know, 'be ye careful on moooooooor, thar be things up there wot b'aint natrul, wot 'owls in the night, firstin' fer 'uming blood' sort of thing.  Another local butted in with 'take no notice of 'im, ee's the village idiot' which prompted the brilliant response 'village be buggered, Morton's a town!'.  And so it is.

He got his beer; nobody could begrudge him it after that!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Some years ago, I took a contract in Lampeter, Dyfed. To approach the site, you needed to drive through Lladdewi Breddi, of well-known television fame.  The signpost was well situated about 12 foot up, with 2 whacking great posts. Clearly there to dissuade collectors of Little Britain!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
But your comment puts me in mind of a visit some years ago to Moretonhamstead in Devon, where a local in the pub put on a yokel show for us tourists hoping for a beer out of it, you know, 'be ye careful on moooooooor, thar be things up there wot b'aint natrul, wot 'owls in the night, firstin' fer 'uming blood' sort of thing.  Another local butted in with 'take no notice of 'im, ee's the village idiot' which prompted the brilliant response 'village be buggered, Morton's a town!'.  And so it is.

You were fortunate to find a village idiot. They became very rare after the Act 1908.

• RMweb Gold

Some years ago, I took a contract in Lampeter, Dyfed. To approach the site, you needed to drive through Lladdewi Breddi, of well-known television fame.  The signpost was well situated about 12 foot up, with 2 whacking great posts. Clearly there to dissuade collectors of Little Britain!

There was a spate of signpost thefts at the time that Little Britain was popular, and Ceredigion County Council Highways Department got fed up with replacing them, except that of course they got fed up mostly in Welsh...

According to legend, Llanddewi Brefi is the site of a miracle involving Wales' patron saint, David, in which a hill rose beneath him so that all the crowd could hear him preach.  He was a typical Dark Age Christian hardliner, and I like the idea of his disapproval of all the Little Britain goings on!  It was harmless, and the village made a few bob out of it, so good for them!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great news that there’s no duplication then following the last two announcements. And not that long to wait for the Mogul to appear...just need someone to do a Manor now too.

Not this year anyway.  If someone can get in with an accurate prairie instead of the mess seen thus far from Dapol you never know what might be around the corner.

• RMweb Gold

Not this year anyway.  If someone can get in with an accurate prairie instead of the mess seen thus far from Dapol you never know what might be around the corner.

You need to have a chat with Richard Webster Mike to voice your concerns.

Gotta think that the pre-Xmas announcement by Dapol with hopefully hastily created CADs was a marker to Bachmann who with their now famous track record of years between announcement and delivery would then back out of their proposals.

But Dapol have to deliver on timescale and accuracy now or they may not be forgiven.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You need to have a chat with Richard Webster Mike to voice your concerns.

Someone else (Miss Prism) has already drawn attention to the (long) catalogue of errors on the prairie on the Dapol Digest Rob, including various things we had discussed privately before that post was made.  

My hopes continue to lie with someone else getting in before them and doing a decent job (which isn't exactly hard so quite why the Dapol CADs were such a mess isn't easily explained apart from them possibly having heard of work going on elsewhere and trying to get in first).  As far as the prairie is concerned they are virtually going to have to start from scratch from the footplate upwards if they want to get it right so that inevitably adds a few months into their timescales, especially if they actually bother to do some checking against a real one.  The mogul is a bit disappointing in that they don't seem to have made any provision for the earlier engines which effectively neutralises anything going on there for a considerable time to come.

Someone else (Miss Prism) has already drawn attention to the (long) catalogue of errors on the prairie on the Dapol Digest Rob, including various things we had discussed privately before that post was made.  

My hopes continue to lie with someone else getting in before them and doing a decent job (which isn't exactly hard so quite why the Dapol CADs were such a mess isn't easily explained apart from them possibly having heard of work going on elsewhere and trying to get in first).  As far as the prairie is concerned they are virtually going to have to start from scratch from the footplate upwards if they want to get it right so that inevitably adds a few months into their timescales, especially if they actually bother to do some checking against a real one.  The mogul is a bit disappointing in that they don't seem to have made any provision for the earlier engines which effectively neutralises anything going on there for a considerable time to come.

So you won't be pre-ordering just yet then  :jester:

I’ve enjoyed some the Welsh theme over the last few posts! Some comments from a Merthyr boy:

Coachman, what was that film about miners visiting Twickers?

You didn’t get GWR outside cylindered locos in Merthyr: they couldn’t get through Merthyr Vale and Troedyrhiw stations. A shame as I like both locos, especially the mogul - hence a few trips to Quakers Yard HL.

A famous Merthyr saying:you don’t get Brains in Merthyr, but we were not certain whether they meant the beer or something else. I put in a capital letter to show you what I think they meant.

Wenglish should be classified as a language, isn’t it? Wenglish speakers will appreciate the last part of that indicitavely-answer ed question.

Sorry about going off topic, bit of hiraeth hit me all of a sudden.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nothing wrong with Wenglish, 88, my mother, from Wattstown in the Rhondda Fach, was a fluent speaker, and, despite my middle class Cardiff upbringing, I have a bit of a go myself sometimes.  It is, in many ways, perfectly constructed grammatically correct Welsh, but using English (ish) words.  I will almost certainly be in the market for a Dap large prairie, to represent Tondu's 4145, unless the thing is so dreadful as to be unusable.  My current 4145 is an antediluvian Airfix, still running well, but I suspect is on borrowed time as once it's current carbon brushes wear out they will be difficult to replace.  It is noisy, but I rather like it's class 37 growl!

Checking back to Dapol Digest, I’m not a regular reader, it’s clear Miss P’s comments have been read as “Richard” from Dapol has responded to them. We’ll need to wait and see how much they’re taken on board in the next iteration of the design.

David

• RMweb Premium

Yes the Bachmann and Hornby announcements must be good news to Dapol unless one of them is secretly deloping something they are going to drop on us at short notice. Unlikely I think.

Hoping that they take on suggestions and we get some really good models. The 68 is fantastic so hopefully this is an indication of things to come.

Edited by Legend

Yes the Bachmann and Hornby announcements must be good news to Dapol unless one of them is secretly developing something they are going to drop on us at short notice. Unlikely I think.

Personally, I think it is highly likely that there is a red box one well down the design stage. In view of the Dapol timing, the opportunity is there for any manufacturer to take on the challenge. Also consider, Heljan have all their research and digital work complete for their 7mm version so are way ahead.

Mike Wiltshire

Personally, I think it is highly likely that there is a red box one well down the design stage. In view of the Dapol timing, the opportunity is there for any manufacturer to take on the challenge. Also consider, Heljan have all their research and digital work complete for their 7mm version so are way ahead.

Mike Wiltshire

Worth noting that Hornby’s website lists the Lord Nelson as due in June 2018, ie they are close to production before actual announcement (less than 6m). Dapol is a minimum of a year away given they’re yet to cut metal, so Hornby could conceivably announce something for delivery in Feb next year and beat them to market if they are moving to a model where their announcements are closer to projected delivery date. Given Dapol has shown its hand, Hornby may feel relaxed about not announcing if they feel they can be first to deliver.

David

• RMweb Gold

I must confess feeling slightly disappointed with the prospect of Hornby taking on the Large Prairie model. Hornby have seen fit to fob us off with the Airfix/Mainline example, pretty much 'because it was the only show in town'. If some of our 'readers 'persuade' Dapol to lose interest, then we're back to the stuck on firemans shovel.  I can imagine the pages & pages of howls of derision, should that take place.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

...................................  My current 4145 is an antediluvian Airfix, still running well, but I suspect is on borrowed time as once it's current carbon brushes wear out they will be difficult to replace.  It is noisy, but I rather like it's class 37 growl!

A bit like my former Airfix Class 31, now long gone. Who needs a diesel sound chip when you have an Airfix motor inside.

• RMweb Gold

I must confess feeling slightly disappointed with the prospect of Hornby taking on the Large Prairie model. Hornby have seen fit to fob us off with the Airfix/Mainline example, pretty much 'because it was the only show in town'. If some of our 'readers 'persuade' Dapol to lose interest, then we're back to the stuck on firemans shovel.  I can imagine the pages & pages of howls of derision, should that take place.

Cheers,

Ian.

Cheers,

Ian.

Aren't you making the assumption that Hornby will use "existing tooling" ? They may well surprise us with an all new model,in which case it is more than likely to please.

@Ian

I’m not sure I wholly agree with you. We all have seen that when they put effor it, Hornby’s current high detailed, high spec models are excellent. However, I’d query, as with other retoolings, the depth of the market and how many customers will want to upgrade. Given they own an existing tooling, they may well seek to offer a cheap alternative to a new high spec loco from a competitor. As they did with the 14xx competing overtly on price. Equally we have seen that where Hornby have got to market first, eg King, 71, they don’t appear to have suffered. For the former in particular, many people took the view that good enough here and now was better than perfection T some point in the future. I’m afraid I didn’t follow the Class 71 comparisons. On the radial, if anything, it seemed to me that some customers waited before making an Oxford/Honrby comparison:

My point is that I don’t think that if Hornby we’re developing mogul/large prairie that Dapol’s announcement will have put them off. It may alter their marketing strategy and if they are not developing a model, make them think about how they price and market a reissue if the old tooling as a direct market comparison to Dapol. Would a Hornby old tooling sell at say £59.99? I think so.

David

• Like 1

If Hornby wanted to put a spoiler on Dapol's announcement then it could just have put a Railroad Large Prairie in it's 2018 catalogue.

The danger of a red box Large Prairie is look what happened last time they released two big GW tanks and wasn't that under the stewardship of one of the returnees to Hornby.

I don't think chatter on this site will stop Dapol proceeding with their models, what might, would be Hornby or Bachmann turning up at a big exhibition in the next three months with EPs of one or both models.

One way or another sometime in the next 12-18 months there will be at least two new GW models on the market if the B4 and externally the GW Railcar is anything to go by then providing they take on board the constructive criticism offered by those with the correct knowledge then we will be fine.

However, I admit I am not pre-ordering just yet.

• Like 2