OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

I'd love a Taff Vale 0-6-2T or three.

I've got a couple, based upon the premise that the Western sold them onto collieries, and other industrial concerns. They should be faithful to detail, but not 'AA' reproduction. By the time the NCB got them, they'd had a real Frankenstein job done on them.

Taff Vale Railway No28 had a chequered past. By the time it entered preservation, it had been altered by the Western, Longmoor (Woolmer), and the NCB at Philadelphia. It had a massive rebuild at Philadelphia during 1945, and the traces of that work are still there today.

Any locomotives still extant post WW2 would most likely remain under Western ownership, due to the partial locomotive shortages at that time. Things like the A class were all extant, and the 04's were still being Westernised, mostly at Caerphilly works. I need to check my notes, though. RCTS, volume 10 is your friend.

The lovely Hornby Peckett is ideal for the smaller colliery, but when you're working with a lot of Felix Pole 20 ton wagons, you'll need a larger locomotive. Big collieries, like Penallta, Cambrian & the Cynon valley pits are a ready home for the big 0-6-2, until the Austerity 18" locomotive came along. The original loco fleet at Blaenavon numbered some 7 engines, all Barclay 16". The loco shed was on a slightly larger size than Didcot. Sadly, the 2 big Barclays, Illtyd & Islwyn, slipped through the preservation net, and were cut up.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Its no longer August. So silly season is over. Lets focus on getting top class Moguls (as specified) and Prairies (as specified) - and only then dream on.

The only question is 'who from?'   The Dapol prairie offering was in need of a tremendous amount of work (it would have been quicker to start from scratch) when you look at the first CADs and someone else might well be beavering away on one which could beat it to market even if theirs is still on the secret list. 

• RMweb Gold

Hold on folks, one at a time! It seems Dapol have taken the mogul as the first of the two projects they have listed. Fine by me.

If you start giving them grief before they've even started, then it probably won't be made. That'll mean we will be stuck with an ancient, poor quality model, because the other manufacturers 'can get away with it'. With the greatest respect damning the project won't advance the process one jot.

I will repeat that the quality of the finished product rests with the producers: It's your money. Good product? Buy! Poor product? Don't buy! If the producer knows he's on a hiding to nothing, then they'll p1ss off, and do something else. You will have to look at someone else's (non-existent) models.

Things like this push the large prairie further & further away. It's enough to make me model the LNER!

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 1

Hold on folks, one at a time! It seems Dapol have taken the mogul as the first of the two projects they have listed. Fine by me.

If you start giving them grief before they've even started, then it probably won't be made. That'll mean we will be stuck with an ancient, poor quality model, because the other manufacturers 'can get away with it'. With the greatest respect damning the project won't advance the process one jot.

I will repeat that the quality of the finished product rests with the producers: It's your money. Good product? Buy! Poor product? Don't buy! If the producer knows he's on a hiding to nothing, then they'll p1ss off, and do something else. You will have to look at someone else's (non-existent) models.

Things like this push the large prairie further & further away. It's enough to make me model the LNER!

Ian.

What a strange thing to say. Dapol are a private limited company and I as a private citizen will only buy one of their products if it is of a good enough standard and quality. 

I accept that 'grief' and general moaning is not in the least constructive, but surely constructive, formative feedback and insight from knowledgeable customers is marketing gold dust for any business when used correctly?

You also give the inference that it is uniquely GWR modelers who dole out this grief to manufacturers and I would absolutely refute that when you look at some of the other threads discussing product development on here. 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What a strange thing to say. Dapol are a private limited company and I as a private citizen will only buy one of their products if it is of a good enough standard and quality. 

I accept that 'grief' and general moaning is not in the least constructive, but surely constructive, formative feedback and insight from knowledgeable customers is marketing gold dust for any business when used correctly?

You also give the inference that it is uniquely GWR modelers who dole out this grief to manufacturers and I would absolutely refute that when you look at some of the other threads discussing product development on here. 

CoY

And the problems visible on the CAD for the prairie have indeed been fed back to them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To reiterate: Dapol no longer post on this forum due to certain well publicised "issues ". Any discussion of the accuracy....or otherwise......of models in development can take place on their own website.Indeed some members of this forum for example,"Miss Prism" have already availed themselves of that opportunity .Thus no need for grief.....the experts are on the case.....we hope.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The EP for the Mogul shows a distinct improvement on many of the issues raised in the commenting process, and the saddle length and cylinder issues have been addressed. The current EP is of an inside-steampipe loco. There is no view of the right-hand side to show the treatment of the centre splasher, and it is not possible to confirm whether the motion plate alignment has been corrected. The shape of the smokebox door on the EP doesn't look right to me on the photograph, but it may be a trick of the light. (I posted a Swindon smokebox GA on the Dapol Forum last year, so they had the right info.)

The potentially more serious problem concerns the placement of the line of the upper washout plugs - Dapol had this correct on the initial CAD, but has inexplicably raised the line on the EP to be as per the atypical 5322 configuration.

Tender looks ok, if a smidge fat. (Although impossible to judge properly from the pics given.)

There is nothing new being shown on the Prairie as yet, whose initial CAD had more fundamental problems.

• RMweb Gold

They need to hurry up with these models, my slight Southern slant has become a distinct lean and very soon there will be no discernible GW presence

Burn him!  Burn the heretic in the purifying flames!  Auto de fe!

Sorry, my inner Torquemada got loose for a second there...

Burn him!  Burn the heretic in the purifying flames!  Auto de fe!

Sorry, my inner Torquemada got loose for a second there...

Ha Ha - when I first got back into OO my locos were a pannier and a prairie plus some Collett coaches.

Then I got hold of a Well Tank and it all started from there, a few years back there was a P4 model of Boscarne Junction and it always struck me as a lovely location.  But whilst there was a period of more GW than Southern I have found that more and more my layout moved northwards in Cornwall and the GW presence dwindled.  I now have a lot of near new GW locos not doing a damn thing on my railway and I think for their own sake they need boxing up.

Where are the pics for the EP? All I can find is the 3D renderings from the end of August.

Yes, sorry, just my shorthand way of distinguishing the latest (end of August) renderings from the previous multicoloured graphics.

In a way it's good news that tooling metal might not have actually been cut yet. (Time to put those washout plugs back where they should be!)

• Like 3

Good news. Dapol reports the upper row of the firebox washout plugs has been repositioned in the lower position (close to the handrail).

I have been pernickety (on the Dapol Digest) about the belt seam on the lower part of the firebox, but it's probably not something most people would get too exercised about. There is a chassis problem however, concerning the conn rod and slidebar lengths, but I can understand why this might have been done.

I think I have now exhausted my Mogul comment repertoire, which is probably just as well, given this late stage of development.

Dapol reports it hopes to have an EP during December.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 7

I think I have now exhausted my Mogul comment repertoire, which is probably just as well, given this late stage of development.

Many thanks for expending the effort to join another forum and then spend the time to use your knowledge to make this a better model for all of us.  It would be all too easy to just point things out on here (or not comment at all) and not take the extra effort you have to make this a better model for all of us.

• RMweb Gold

I'll add my appreciation of your efforts on our behalf to mdvie's if I may, as although I am no longer in the market for a large prairie because examples were only at Tondu shed for very short periods during my modelling period, I am interested to see how this model turns out.  Large prairies have long been a favourite of mine, and my first attempt at kit motorisation was of an Airfix one, with a Triang Princess chassis when I was 13.  My standards are not finescale, but have developed a little since then...

I'd like to also acknowledge Dapol for having taken notice of your suggestions; a better model has resulted!  Now, if I can only persuade someone to produce an RTR Collett 31xx...

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

4th quarter 2019. The prairie will be later as it's running behind schedule.

So about another 12 months or so, I can live with that as I would much prefer them to take their time in producing models that are as accurate as physically possible that can run well, rather than spending my time on here reading a 20+ page thread devoted to whinging and moaning about them.

I’ve just had a look at the CADs, very nice!

Is that a flywheel I can see? Excellent! I was trying to see if there is anything written about what type of motor was being used and to be sure the driving wheels aren’t being geared together...

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

So about another 12 months or so, I can live with that as I would much prefer them to take their time in producing models that are as accurate as physically possible that can run well, rather than spending my time on here reading a 20+ page thread devoted to whinging and moaning about them.

Also it gives us more time to research possible renumbers bearing in mind that some of the class didn't receive outside steam pipes in GWR days. :O