OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• 1 month later...

Well delivery date has changed from 'Summer 2019' to 'TBC' in the March magazines. (And was 'Spring 2019' only a few months ago.) A negative interpretation is 'slipped'. A positive interpretation might be that they are taking stock post Hornby announcement on Prairie, to put more emphasis on the Mogul (including perhaps more permutations). But that is probably wishful thinking on my part, and other interpretations are available!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Pteremy said:

Well delivery date has changed from 'Summer 2019' to 'TBC' in the March magazines. (And was 'Spring 2019' only a few months ago.) A negative interpretation is 'slipped'. A positive interpretation might be that they are taking stock post Hornby announcement on Prairie, to put more emphasis on the Mogul (including perhaps more permutations). But that is probably wishful thinking on my part, and other interpretations are available!

Last I heard was December 2019, shame if it’s going to be moved again.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 9793 said:

The only steam loco up for preorder on Dapol's site is the Terrier..... has it always been like this?

The class 21/29 is also missing from Pre-order but it most definitely is progressing with 2nd EP pictures very recently shared.

• Thanks 1

A friend was at Dapol today and asked on my behalf about the Mogul. Apparently the first EP sample is due any day now, and the model is still planned for the end of the year.

Edited by 9793
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...

They seem to have adopted a similar shape as Heljan for the supporting stays at the front with unrealistic bends. Hornby's models of the 8 coupled GWR locos look much better in this regard. If they want to be any sort of competition with the prairie they're going to have to put this right by then.

Is that the taller safety valve fitting? Is that in all models or are there going to be variants?

Maybe a carving job as most of mine require low fittings.

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

Looks to me overall that it’s very much a work in progress and there’s mile to go yet so ......hopefully.....it will present in accurate form .We must suspend judgment for a while I think.

The correct “ colour” for these was always difficult to determine. 50 shades of grime would be appropriate.

Not good if they emulate Heljan with the boiler stays. We shall see ( he said,nodding sagely )

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, colin penfold said:

It's the wrong colour mate

Edit to say it looks a bit big, but that might just be the colour

Ex-works Copper........before the brasso comes out :lol:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2019 at 14:21, gwrrob said:

Does the chimney look right ?

Seems our eyes agree - it looked overlarge to me as although being in a natural metallic colour didn't help.  The chimney was difficult to judge due to being in two colours and the top of the sv casing didn't look quite right to me.  The buffer beam.front end stays look distinctly amateurish but it is probably too early to objectively judge that on what was basically a work in progress model. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I presume then looking at the EP photos, they are possibly doing different chimney types (hence the different colour on the chimney) but are only doing one type of safety valve (tall type). Must admit all photos I've seen in the 1950's around the area I model (Ruabon-Barmouth) show the shorter type. 

I appreciate they can't cater for everything.

Dapol have now posted a photo of the EP sample, stating the following:

Hand assembled 1st shots shown at Alexandria Palace. 

Under review and subject to change and correction where necessary. Temporary wheels set in the pony truck for illustration purposes only.

Full EP expected to arrive soon.

55698679_2927021033982292_2523341480228028416_o.jpg.dedea905c4316c159839502348cc224d.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4