OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium
On 21/02/2020 at 10:45, martinT said:

Very nice. Arguably the most overlooked loco at Didcot & yet potentially one of the most useful as shown on the Llangollen in 2014:

IMG_0039.JPG

Complete with incorrectly placed emblem on the tender! It's a set of rivets too far forward on the fireman's side for some reason. Driver's side is OK. 

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

Talking about pony trucks.

My Airfix derived Hornby 5154 also won't keep it's pony truck on the track, you can see it bouncing merrily as it crosses pointwork, diamonds etc. and tends to derail quite regularly, could really do with some downward force. I might try a light spring.

I trust both the new Hornby Prairie and Dapol's Prairie & 43XX to work better.

Consider using a bit of lead. Had a similar problem with the Bachmann 43xx and the front bogie - added a bit of lead improved performance considerably.

Edmund

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5944 said:

Complete with incorrectly placed emblem on the tender! It's a set of rivets too far forward on the fireman's side for some reason. Driver's side is OK. 

Painting aside, I'd say that rivets don't happen by themselves. Is your observation on a model, or the real thing?

Cheers,

Ian.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, melmerby said:

Talking about pony trucks.

My Airfix derived Hornby 5154 also won't keep it's pony truck on the track, you can see it bouncing merrily as it crosses pointwork, diamonds etc. and tends to derail quite regularly, could really do with some downward force. I might try a light spring.

I trust both the new Hornby Prairie and Dapol's Prairie & 43XX to work better.

To be fair, Keith, you haven't given these new unreleased models a fair chance just yet.  Your observation would suggest that a newer, 2020 model would drag all of the imperfections from the 1980's up, and towards the present day.  Perhaps the new models will attend to your observations. After all, The older Airfix-derived model is , what? 30+ years old? The whole point is to petition people like Dapol to produce models of higher quality & fidelity.

Barracking Dapol for something they haven't done, and observing problems that probably don't or won't exist, is in my view, highly counter-productive.  Give them a chance, I'd say.

I am in no way connected to Dapol, just an interested observer.  However, I did build a 16 ton mineral wagon kit last year..... 

Cheers,

Ian.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

...I am in no way connected to Dapol, just an interested observer...

Same here. My first ever Dapol loco purchase was with some misgivings, the class 21. It's a corker!

Now that Dapol are venturing steam locos in OO, they might yet do as they did in diesel traction and eventually introduce something that suits me. So I am definitely interested in what they produce in the meantime, to see what technique is utilised and how well the whole package works.

(The doubt I have relates to the loco to tender combined mechanical and electrical coupling mechanism proposed for the 43xx. Already seen something of the sort sadly degrading Rapido/NRM's Stirling single; where it is visually intrusive and detracts significantly from the model's appearance, and requires some careful effort to correct. I see that Bachmann propose a similar device for their forthcoming V2, and Dapol's production of the D class for Rails will also be afflicted. Urghhh.)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Painting aside, I'd say that rivets don't happen by themselves. Is your observation on a model, or the real thing?

Cheers,

Ian.

The post was saying the logo is placed between the wrong two lines of rivets in that photo of the preserved loco, not that the rivets are wrong. I think!

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Cheers,

Ian.

On the real thing. There are nine columns of rivets on the tender. On the driver's side, the centre of the emblem is on middle column. On the fireman's side, the centre of the emblem is on the fourth set back, rather than the fifth. 

5322_01.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-idK1VTxbph144MTo0mp

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 5944 said:

On the fireman's side, the centre of the emblem is on the fourth set back, rather than the fifth. 

For comparison Heljans "as preserved" 7mm model has it in the normal position.

Was there any pattern to whether the large or small version of the early logo was used?

Edited by Hal Nail

10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

On the assumption that the new Hornby 5101 will use the same pony truck assembly as the 42xx, which has never given me any bother, it should solve your bouncy pony issue, Kieth.  I had an original Airfix for many years, literally ran it into the ground, and I've still got some of it's bits, and never had a problem with the ponys.  IIRC the rear pony on the real locos is a radial truck, and the same goes for the small prairies and the 56xx; only the Mainline and later Bachmann 56xx has an attempt to recreate the actual action of a radial, with a sort of floating rear axle that I try to not look too closely at...

The small prairies have a conventional pony truck, both front and rear

• Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

For comparison Heljans "as preserved" 7mm model has it in the normal position.

Was there any pattern to whether the large or small version of the early logo was used?

Reinforces the oft repeated advice. Never trust pictures taken in preservation if you want an accurate livery :)

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 5944 said:

On the real thing. There are nine columns of rivets on the tender. On the driver's side, the centre of the emblem is on middle column. On the fireman's side, the centre of the emblem is on the fourth set back, rather than the fifth. 

5322_01.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-idK1VTxbph144MTo0mp

I don't know (because I wasn't there) but! Things like this happen in real life.  "Right! Count back 5 panels from the left!" Meanwhile... "Right! Count back 5 panels from the left!" It's ok, until a Clever Dickie  points out.... "Errr, why don't they line up?" Just one of natures way to show even us rivet counters get it wrong....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Reinforces the oft repeated advice. Never trust pictures taken in preservation if you want an accurate livery :)

In fact 5322 is rather a hybrid following its last restoration. Whilst the team backdated the loco's cab, chimney and buffers (among other parts) to WW1 condition it retains its B.R. fitted outside steampipe cylinders. IMO it might have been wiser to have restored it to 'as withdrawn'  condition in lined green with post 1956 crest.

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

47 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

In fact 5322 is rather a hybrid following its last restoration. Whilst the team backdated the loco's cab, chimney and buffers (among other parts) to WW1 condition it retains its B.R. fitted outside steampipe cylinders. IMO it might have been wiser to have restored it to 'as withdrawn'  condition in lined green with post 1956 crest.

Ray.

I believe there was a plan at one stage, in that restoration, to cast and fit new cylinders with inside steampipes. They were going to use the patterns produced for 2999 'Lady of Legend'.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

To be fair, Keith, you haven't given these new unreleased models a fair chance just yet.  Your observation would suggest that a newer, 2020 model would drag all of the imperfections from the 1980's up, and towards the present day.  Perhaps the new models will attend to your observations. After all, The older Airfix-derived model is , what? 30+ years old? The whole point is to petition people like Dapol to produce models of higher quality & fidelity.

Barracking Dapol for something they haven't done, and observing problems that probably don't or won't exist, is in my view, highly counter-productive.  Give them a chance, I'd say.

I am in no way connected to Dapol, just an interested observer.  However, I did build a 16 ton mineral wagon kit last year..... 

Cheers,

Ian.

Why do you keep barracking me? It's getting rather tedious.

Read what I said (you don't seem to actually do that, just cherrypick what you want to make a point.

I said:

"I trust both the new Hornby Prairie and Dapol's Prairie & 43XX to work better."

What actually is that saying.?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Philou said:

@D1051 Now that is good news, though will they be able to achieve Q2 given the latest on the outbreak?

Hopefully, it won't be too far behind the Manor.

Cheers,

Philip

Hopefully, you mean the Mogul... ?

...of which we have heard nothing recently....

• Agree 1

Although not highlighted as an option in the graphic of the 'Dapol update', the lined green versions do feature bunker steps (as they should do).

I'm still intrigued as to how the pony will clear the full-relief cylinder, but I guess that will have to await seeing a decent side elevation.

Btw, in the catalogue, '4314' should read '4134'.

• Like 2