OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

When you goto a party and see the sandwiches, the Chicken always goes first, but the Egg and Cress is always leftover. So why make Egg and Cress at all if no one eats it ?

Well, bread is bread, cress is cheap and it fills the plate making it look better value. If you have a plate of chicken sandwiches your margin goes down as the cost goes up.

But if someones stolen your chicken and all youve got to sell is egg and cress, your chances of sales success wane as its just not as attractive..

Might as well make pizza instead and keep the recipe secret.

... I like egg & cress sandwiches.......

• Agree 4

Innovations?   An ability to actually pull  train would be a start.   We have several Airfix/Mainline/Hornby Prairies, and they sit on shelves or on shed looking pretty while a Grafar  81XX with Triang Chassis and a Wills 61XX share banking duties as they can both push a decent train.   Haven't been able to test it but I reckon the Grafar would to mis quote GJC  pull two of theirs bloody backwards."

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

Innovations?   An ability to actually pull  train would be a start.   We have several Airfix/Mainline/Hornby Prairies, and they sit on shelves or on shed looking pretty while a Grafar  81XX with Triang Chassis and a Wills 61XX share banking duties as they can both push a decent train.   Haven't been able to test it but I reckon the Grafar would to mis quote GJC  pull two of theirs bloody backwards."

Why cast aspersions before anyone has had the chance to test one for real?

We don't know what their pulling power is yet.

• Agree 3

Not aspersions just honest binary Buy / Don't buy criteria.  If the Prairie don't pull trains no point me buying it.   Decent Mogul or Manor body without a bloated firebox will be nice...

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

The previous Hornby version of the Airfix Prairie will pull a decent load

Plenty of mass and a chunky can motor, 8 bogies doesn't even slow them down.

With 10 still going well even up a 1:60.

(I have a Grafar 81XX, just the body, it sits in the spares box, the chassis was dumped years ago)

Edited by melmerby

15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It would I reckon be daft for them not to, though H gazumped them; Dap announced first!  I reckon they’d have conceded and cut their losses otherwise, and that they haven’t suggests that they reckon they still have something to bring to the party that they can make a wee bobeen out of.  They’ve had to design tooling for a large prairie/mogul/ manor mech anyway so it’s only the cost of the body toolings.  

There are large prairie jacks to jump out of boxes; Churchward 31xx, 3150, and if Dapol can fit smaller driving wheels using chassis sleeves, Collett 81xx and 31xx, all of which can use the same mech and cylinder block/motion. And the mogul has different versions as well, not to mention different chimneys on manors. 

But they’ll need to compete with Hornby’s prairie on price and or quality, so we may see some innovations on this one.  

This is a good example of the advantage of getting to market first. I got a Hornby Prairie and liked it enough to splurge on another. However, I’m always interested in how different manufacturers approach the same subject, so I’ll probably get a Dapol Prairie, just so long as the money isn’t absorbed by something else. If Dapol doesn’t make a mess of the Mogul, I’ll probably get one, in spite of having two versions of the Mainline model. What I would have liked is a model of an early one with a short cab. I still would, if Dapol cared to oblige.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

When you goto a party and see the sandwiches, the Chicken always goes first, but the Egg and Cress is always leftover. So why make Egg and Cress at all if no one eats it ?

Well, bread is bread, cress is cheap and it fills the plate making it look better value. If you have a plate of chicken sandwiches your margin goes down as the cost goes up.

But if someones stolen your chicken and all youve got to sell is egg and cress, your chances of sales success wane as its just not as attractive..

Might as well make pizza instead and keep the recipe secret.

As it happens I always go for egg & cress first if there's a choice of sarnies.   And of course they actually taste of egg & cress unlike the vast majority of chicken sandwiches which not only don't taste like chicken used to taste but normally come without any stuffing let alone decent stuffing.

And models are a bit like that as well - they're either good or not good but a lot of deciding if they are good is down to personal taste and experience.  In the end there's an awful lot of individual opinion going into the decisions we make about buying any model railway stuff.  And let's face it some people even buy LNER locos:blink:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

As it happens I always go for egg & cress first if there's a choice of sarnies.   And of course they actually taste of egg & cress unlike the vast majority of chicken sandwiches which not only don't taste like chicken used to taste but normally come without any stuffing let alone decent stuffing.

And models are a bit like that as well - they're either good or not good but a lot of deciding if they are good is down to personal taste and experience.  In the end there's an awful lot of individual opinion going into the decisions we make about buying any model railway stuff.  And let's face it some people even buy LNER locos:blink:

I was about to click on “agree” until I read the last sentence. Not all LNER locos were designed by Thompson, you know, and even Thompson used a decent amount of superheat. :D

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The Eastern 8-wheel tender was designed so a Western 0-6-0 could be hidden within, just to give it some 'oomph'. 

Sturrock was right, y'know...

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I thought that was the whole point of chicken.

I doesn't taste of anything so you can put anything with it:)

It was a running joke in "Farscape" where the lead character on encountering another alien meat used to say "tastes just like chicken"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

The previous Hornby version of the Airfix Prairie will pull a decent load

Plenty of mass and a chunky can motor, 8 bogies doesn't even slow them down.

With 10 still going well even up a 1:60.

(I have a Grafar 81XX, just the body, it sits in the spares box, the chassis was dumped years ago)

The Hornby Prairie we got new from Kernow this year after the Magazine reviews is a lot lighter than the previous 2010 ? version.  We only have one new one so can't test the "pull two of theirs backwards" theory. The 2010 ish ones slipped excessively on the Farish Prairie duties and one ran very badly until I rebuilt the chassis with larger axles among other things.
The Airfix/ Mainline pulled OK with the traction tyre but stuttered and ran noisily. I have one on the workbench being fitted with later wheels an X04 and Hornby leading axle and gears .

It was almost  finished when due to a misunderstanding the new Hornby one appeared. 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

As it happens I always go for egg & cress first if there's a choice of sarnies.  

Don't knock egg and cress as I'm reliably informed it's on the afternoon tea menu at The Ritz Hotel no less.:D

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1