OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

36 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

But not all,I’m afraid. 003...GWR with BR smokebox numbers still exhibits those unfinished wheels.

That one's been updated now: https://www.hattons.co.uk/333466/dapol_4s_043_003_class_43xx_mogul_2_6_0_in_gwr_green_with_br_smokebox_numberplate/stockdetail.aspx

Looks a very good representation to my eyes overall, but a tad frustrating that the 'G W R' is placed forward of the tender rivets (something I've not seen in a prototype pic, although would be very happy to hear or see otherwise) rather than to the rear (which is what I'm used to seeing in prototype pics). 

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Aything DCC fitted from Dapol is always a few weeks behind the DCC ready models because the decoders are fitted in the UK at Dapol's factory/showroom.

Rats! ah well.... a Christmas present to myself! (as well as the sound fitted Dapol class 52 which arrived today :D).

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Theo said:

I was told a couple of weeks for the sound versions.

Hattons suggested, a couple of weeks / by the end of the year into the early part of next year. To me that sounded like a guess.

Thanks @Kaputi didn’t realise that.

However with the slide out PCB mounted in the smoke box, that should be straight forward. All locos are pre fitted with speakers.

Of course with the various lockdowns in the UK, they might not be at work.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to fit a sound decoder myself so that I have more control over exactly what I'm getting, in terms of make and sound project.

I reckon that a Zimo MX659N18 (small Next18 sound decoder) will fit and YouChoos have a Mogul project based on recordings of 5322.

Edit: Amazingly, it looks like Hattons got my Mogul out of the door yesterday because I can see it in the Royal Mail tracking system! I might get the loco before I have any decoder to make it go...

Edit2: It transpires that the larger MX658N18 should also fit - because that's exactly what Dapol will supply in their sound-fitted versions according to the manual.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Hattons suggested, a couple of weeks / by the end of the year into the early part of next year. To me that sounded like a guess.

Various Dapol O gauge sound versions have taken months to appear recently, so yes, they are guessing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I'm still undecided about it. I gave Dapol the proper smokebox drawing 3 years ago.

Remember that decoder fitting is via the smokebox door on these models and the door is held in place by magnets so,

a. the door(s) in the photo(s) may not be seated properly, or

b. the magnet mountings might push it out more than would be ideal, or

c. the door moulding might be a compromise to allow it to function as the decoder access.

We shall soon see...

Correction: The smokebox door is a friction fit, not held in place by magnets.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 minute ago, Harlequin said:

a. the door(s) in the photo(s) may not be seated properly, or

b. the magnet mountings might push it out more than would be ideal, or

c. the door moulding might be a compromise to allow it to function as the decoder access.

Three good reasons not to design it that way.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

On the plus side it should make it easier to fix the mistake than if it was a solid moulding.  It’s a shame the parts form the Mitchell range are no longer available as it might have made for a quick fix.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think we all really want this to be 'a good one' but I'm going to hold back until some have been seen in the real world. In any case I'm still hesitating which one to go for.

However,  has anyone noticed that the BR black early crest version appears to have two top lamp brackets? One is on the smokebox door - the correct place as far as I know, plus another on the top of the smokebox in front of the chimney as per original practice... Probably very easy to rectify but how did this happen as both 'smokebox versions' are in the range.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

This is the RTR market. A significant % of RTR purchasers are wary of installing a DCC decoder, fearing damage to fragile detail or simply getting it wrong. Making the smokebox door an easy access encourages sales, which is why Dapol are in business. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

14 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

However,  has anyone noticed that the BR black early crest version appears to have two top lamp brackets? One is on the smokebox door - the correct place as far as I know, plus another on the top of the smokebox in front of the chimney as per original practice... Probably very easy to rectify but how did this happen as both 'smokebox versions' are in the range.

Some photos show 2, others just 1! Hopefully the new arrivals are correct.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1