OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

Swindon did standardisation, but it didn't always do standardisation. If a loco had a new smokebox, then it might have a different chimney. As always, check a photograph of your desired locomotive, and follow that. 

The blastpipe will alter the inside of the chimney as a result of being constantly battered by the locomotive exhaust. Amazingly, anything on the smokebox is classed as a consumable item, and will be changed if needed.

The RoD chimney migrated to the ex-Taff Vale A class during its life, for example.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I'm sure I've seen a picture somewhere of a Stanier 8F with an Austerity 2-8-0 chimney.

the fitment of the smokebox to chimney is governed by the diameter of  the smokebox wrapper. As such, seeing an 8F with a different chimney would be Ok, being an expeditious repair. 

For the locomotive to work well, the fitting of the smokebox should remain semi-airtight. The diameter of the chimney base flange should (where possible ) match  the smokebox aperture.  A good fitter would use a lead gasket to seat down a chimney, and caulk it in, if required.

Edited by tomparryharry
Yes indeed.
  • Like 1

Meant to say that those nice new illuminated display cases at the Dapol shop in Chirk have a nice display of Prairies and Manors for your delectation.  They are display items and not for sale though - although I assume you could order them.  

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

I think the statement on the Rails website was slightly misleading, they have infact only arrived at the Dapol warehouse not with Rails themselves. Either way, they're nearly with us.

Does anyone know if the sound fitted versions were fitted in China or will it be like the Mogul where the fitting took place in the UK and the models followed a few months after the initial release?

Hattons advise they are expecting them within a week, so Rails should have been clearer, as they are at Dapol and are being dispatched to UK retailers, it seems.

The Rails pre order advert seems to use final livery models, certainly they have a photo of the BR green late crest, which hadn't been seen until recently.

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Kaput said:

Almost all of Dapol's DCC fitted models are fitted by Dapol in the UK and not at the factories in China AFAIK.

I for one, wouldn't blame Dapol at all. After the (slight ) debacle vis-a-vis with the railcar release, Dapol have taken a prudent move and bought things like DCC & sound in-house, if only to shut down warranty claims.  People fitting 'extras' would  sometimes appear to work above their skill levels. The resultant scenario would be.. " I got it like that..." Yes, right.... Now, not everyone met those criteria, and I certainly wouldn't point a finger at anyone, being a DC luddite. Some use tweezers, some use 36" Stilsons..... 

Good management & quality assurance call by Dapol, if that is indeed the case.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I for one, wouldn't blame Dapol at all. After the (slight ) debacle vis-a-vis with the railcar release, Dapol have taken a prudent move and bought things like DCC & sound in-house, if only to shut down warranty claims.  People fitting 'extras' would  sometimes appear to work above their skill levels. The resultant scenario would be.. " I got it like that..." Yes, right.... Now, not everyone met those criteria, and I certainly wouldn't point a finger at anyone, being a DC luddite. Some use tweezers, some use 36" Stilsons..... 

Good management & quality assurance call by Dapol, if that is indeed the case.

Cheers,

Ian.

My Railcar sound fitted chip was definitely fitted with stilsons…….probably 48” :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Rail's website has been updated with their own photos of the Prairies and they look really nice too.

Just a shame a couple were never allocated to the Cambrian Coast/Machynlleth shed or made the odd foray from Carmarthen to Aberystwyth, otherwise I would have been up for one :(

Edited by SteamingWales
Dumb
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Rail's website has been updated with their own photos of the Prairies and they look really nice too.

Just a shame a couple were never allocated to the Cambrian Coast/Machynlleth shed or made the odd foray from Croes Newydd or Carmarthen otherwise I would have been up for one :(

yes, looking good!

I see 4134 was at Carmarthen in the early '50s--

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=4134&loco=4134

I'm seriously eyeing up 4S-041-006.

all the best,

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Payments are being taken by Rails and it looks like I pre-ordered one a long time ago and then forgot about it - because another one has just popped up.

This is really silly of me but if I can't justify two I'll probably be able sell one on without making too much loss.

Interestingly the new Rails website is a bit odd at the moment since they didn't transfer customer's previous order histories over to the new system. So my account says I've never ordered anything from them, only the pre-orders are visible and when the Prairie orders are fulfilled they disappear from that section too, without appearing in the order history. So as far as the website goes my account is in some kind of strange limbo but I'm sure in reality it's all progressing normally.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, tractionman said:

yes, looking good!

I see 4134 was at Carmarthen in the early '50s--

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=4134&loco=4134

I'm seriously eyeing up 4S-041-006.

all the best,

Keith

It's tempting as a "what if" scenario and not entirely outside the realm of possibility for one to make it to Aberystwyth and if any it would be 4132.

Problem is I've committed to only getting locos that ran on the Cambrian for long winded reasons I won't go into

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

OK ,I’ll go with that. Probably my imagination but the chimney height appears to be lower than in the earlier images ? 

Opinions somebody ?  Overall I’d buy. As Robin ANTB says as long as its haulage capacity is good. 

As you've mentioned elsewhere Ian, the livery rendition looks very good, especially in terms of the shade of GWR green. I'm interested in the post-war 'G W R' version and the branding looks excellent (esp compared to Heljan's attempts at this), just a shame they still got the route availability disc in the wrong place (a relatively easy fix though)!

I think the better green plays a part in giving the Dapol version a greater sense of the prototype’s presence compared to the Hornby version which I think looks a little lightweight or plasticky.

Some of the Dapol examples with screw water filler caps suggest the screw handles are rather vulnerable, and I fear I can detect some less that completely straight forward area footplates, a la the common affliction of a number of Hornby's recent GWR classses. I thought Dapol were going for diecast footplates or is it possible to even get a bend in them?!

The slide bars are a disappointment, especially as they had been corrected on the production samples. Will they be corrected on future releases as has been promised in the case of the Mogul? Will this Prairie also have the reportedly 'lively' running speed of the Mogul too, or will it be more realistic as suggested will be the case on future Moguls?

Edited by BenL
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2