Southern Region Coaches from my Workbench

• RMweb Gold

Chris

The Southern Pride P38 chairs are very good but I feel they resemble the more modern type of dining chair fitted to BR stock. We used to have a lot of the older SR chairs around the offices where the backs flare in the opposite direction and in my opinion look quite different when viewed through the large Bulleid windows. As I spend quite a bit of time on the interiors anyway I might a well go the whole hog!

attachicon.gifDSCF1212.JPG

Tony

Looks great! just out of interest whats on the menu?

Chris

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I drew up the various coaches of the 6 car sets. 3D renderings of these can be seen on my Google + page, the link is in my signature at the bottom of this post

I attach some extracts from one of these drawings, diag 2507 RFU The chair is my take on the dining chair. I can generate a 3D print file of this which I can send if useful.

post-25639-0-12117400-1544569020_thumb.jpg

post-25639-0-01839900-1544569048_thumb.jpg

post-25639-0-90264600-1544569066_thumb.jpg

post-25639-0-47942000-1544569085_thumb.jpg

If this is printed on A3 it will be to 4mm scale

post-25639-0-66351100-1544569106_thumb.jpg

I hope this is of some help

Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I have had to put the coach construction on the back burner due to assisting in getting our club layout 'Redbridge' ready for its first exhibition in a semi-complete state over the past couple of months. On the plus side, some rakes of my Bulleid and Mk1 coaches had a good work out over the exhibition weekend. I was particularly pleased that my Bulleid Bournemouth 6 coach set performed very well over the whole weekend, clocking up some real distance on the layout. This set was one of my first forays into coach construction and is now 4 years old.

DSCF2733a.jpg.81b90929d3cb116e9486c2477b4e51ff.jpg

Since the exhibition at the end of January I have managed to progress the 3 sets of Bournemouth stock currently under construction, namely finishing the painting of the loose chairs, making and fitting the tables in the kitchen and restaurant coaches and starting to fabricate the underframe details.

If there is interest I will post pictures as the build continues.....

Tony

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
On Tuesday, February 05, 2019 at 19:15, 145 Squadron said:

I have had to put the coach construction on the back burner due to assisting in getting our club layout 'Redbridge' ready for its first exhibition in a semi-complete state over the past couple of months. On the plus side, some rakes of my Bulleid and Mk1 coaches had a good work out over the exhibition weekend. I was particularly pleased that my Bulleid Bournemouth 6 coach set performed very well over the whole weekend, clocking up some real distance on the layout. This set was one of my first forays into coach construction and is now 4 years old.

Since the exhibition at the end of January I have managed to progress the 3 sets of Bournemouth stock currently under construction, namely finishing the painting of the loose chairs, making and fitting the tables in the kitchen and restaurant coaches and starting to fabricate the underframe details.

If there is interest I will post pictures as the build continues.....

Tony

Oh yes please if you have time Tony

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 23:03, LN850 said:

A couple of years ago I drew up the various coaches of the 6 car sets. 3D renderings of these can be seen on my Google + page, the link is in my signature at the bottom of this post

I attach some extracts from one of these drawings, diag 2507 RFU The chair is my take on the dining chair. I can generate a 3D print file of this which I can send if useful.

post-25639-0-12117400-1544569020_thumb.jpg

post-25639-0-01839900-1544569048_thumb.jpg

post-25639-0-90264600-1544569066_thumb.jpg

post-25639-0-47942000-1544569085_thumb.jpg

post-25639-0-66351100-1544569106_thumb.jpg

I hope this is of some help

Mike

Is that a single vent over the Compartments? Was that section a sort of pressurised vent section or something? Strange coach that I have never really looked at before.

Great drawings thank you.

Phil 

Attached a couple of photos of the RF vehicle from the set I have already completed;  most lasted in service until about 1965, although latterly as loose composites (the saloon area becoming unclassed).

DSCF2736.JPG.70a7e3c2e8f81b464b95ffe97ba48d9b.JPG

All the underframe details have now been added to the 3 sets under construction except the 3 kitchen cars as they have additional equipment such as propane boxes, refrigeration units and switchgear, it being easier to make as a batch and do them all at the same time. 

DSCF2735.JPG.748555521a5faad3b46791dd325375d4.JPG

Tony

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 23:28, AVS1998 said:

What an odd beast, half open half compartmentalised. I don't think I've seen anything like it! Still, very very impressive 3D drawings there :)

Not unique though, IIRC the LMS did something similar at one time.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

This seems a suitable thread to pose a question about SR Maunsell d.2659 Kitchen / Buffet cars; I wonder if anyone can help?

These were converted from earlier stock in 1947 and so are just within the timeframe of my layout; I have recently built one using Moosa sides on a Hornby donor and have reached the point of lettering and numbering it.

There is no problem with the numbering nor the word "Southern" but I simply cannot fine the word "Buffet" in sunshine lettering which, according to Mike King was on the side of these vehicles.

The word is missing from the HMRS sheets, whilst Fox have a BR version but I think it is in the wrong font; does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find a suitable transfer?

Tony

On 12/05/2019 at 21:08, Tony Teague said:

This seems a suitable thread to pose a question about SR Maunsell d.2659 Kitchen / Buffet cars; I wonder if anyone can help?

These were converted from earlier stock in 1947 and so are just within the timeframe of my layout; I have recently built one using Moosa sides on a Hornby donor and have reached the point of lettering and numbering it.

There is no problem with the numbering nor the word "Southern" but I simply cannot fine the word "Buffet" in sunshine lettering which, according to Mike King was on the side of these vehicles.

The word is missing from the HMRS sheets, whilst Fox have a BR version but I think it is in the wrong font; does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find a suitable transfer?

Tony

Hey Tony, 

Sorry that I can't offer help for actually finding the transfers, but it might be worth flicking the nice folks at Fox a message, I got them to do the Sunshine 'Third' lettering that I needed for my gate stock, if they already have the font available (which they do) they should be able to sort you out!

No affiliation of course, but hopefully that's of some help (unless someone knows of a transfer that's already available!)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:08, Tony Teague said:

Tony

Tony, worth trying to get photo's or search further (Graham Muzz?) as sometimes the information ref the lettering is not necessarily correct!

ATB

Phil

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Sorry that I can't offer help for actually finding the transfers, but it might be worth flicking the nice folks at Fox a message, I got them to do the Sunshine 'Third' lettering that I needed for my gate stock, if they already have the font available (which they do) they should be able to sort you out!

15 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Tony, worth trying to get photo's or search further (Graham Muzz?) as sometimes the information ref the lettering is not necessarily correct!

Thanks Jack, Phil

There is a single pic in the Mike King book, so I might go back to him and / or Graham Muzz, and certainly I have found Fox Transfers helpful in the past - but clearly I need to be certaing about what it should say before I start ordering something bespoke!

Best wishes

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Thanks Jack, Phil

There is a single pic in the Mike King book, so I might go back to him and / or Graham Muzz, and certainly I have found Fox Transfers helpful in the past - but clearly I need to be certaing about what it should say before I start ordering something bespoke!

Best wishes

Tony

Sorry if I came over a bit sort of 'pendanty' Tony but I have been caught out so many times with things before I was inducted into the Tony Wright school of checking. It may not be possible to find out for certain and thus you do as you feel is correct from what you can discover. My info for coaches is based on the fact that one would come out of works with so and so on it and the next with something else depending upon dates and who was in charge at the time. I suspect the various carriage works also had their own little quirks as well. Good luck with it, at least in BR days things were a little less complicated but getting livery dates correct can be a  nightmare...…....and then photo captions can be inaccurate and on it goes! 

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Phil

Thanks, no offence taken from your comment; perhaps like you, some years ago I would not have been too worried whether it said "Restaurant" or "Kitchen" but like you I have had lessons from TW and others and if it is possible, I'd aim to get it right!

Sometimes of course, it just isn't possible to be certain.

If I find any evidence or even the right transfers, I will certainly post the results here.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It has been some time since my last post on here regarding the Bulleid Bournemouth 6 coach sets; in part due to waiting for the weather to warm up enough to spray paint the coaches but also due to having 3 sets on the go - 18 coaches!

The sets have now been painted excluding the underframes, which is the current process. I thought people might be interested in a couple of pictures of the kitchen coach showing the amount of undeframe equipment that needed to be fabricated to represent the coaches with the later propane boxes and ancillary control equipment. Most of this has been gleaned from prototype photos and I make no claims for accuracy - it is only a representation! This will shortly be covered in the universal 'grime' paint with which I hand paint all my coach underframes.

DSCF2754.JPG.a7a28b693154d0f3439ebbbffe3d4c42.JPG

DSCF2755.JPG.5600a9c4b05d3b77bd740e1684c3451d.JPG

Tony

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 145 Squadron said:

It has been some time since my last post on here regarding the Bulleid Bournemouth 6 coach sets; in part due to waiting for the weather to warm up enough to spray paint the coaches but also due to having 3 sets on the go - 18 coaches!

The sets have now been painted excluding the underframes, which is the current process. I thought people might be interested in a couple of pictures of the kitchen coach showing the amount of undeframe equipment that needed to be fabricated to represent the coaches with the later propane boxes and ancillary control equipment. Most of this has been gleaned from prototype photos and I make no claims for accuracy - it is only a representation! This will shortly be covered in the universal 'grime' paint with which I hand paint all my coach underframes.

Tony

Hi Tony

Photos of these coaches after being rebuilt are quite rare as far as I understand. I did come a cross one in an article on Bulleid coaches in a copy of a 1979 Railway World magazine.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 145 Squadron said:

Tony

Really like the UF details and the Bogies SB's.

Phil

• 145 Squadron changed the title to Bulleid and Maunsell Kitchen/Buffet Coaches

I have not posted any entries on here for some time as this project (3 X 6 coach Bulleid Bournemouth sets) has taken a back seat whilst other work has been required, mainly associated with rolling stock and other work for our clubs Redbridge Wharf layout now on the exhibition circuit. Enforced isolation now means I can spend more time to hopefully finish these vehicles in the near future.

Having completed the basic interiors on all 18 Bulleid coaches the next stage is to add the remaining interior details on the 6 restaurant coaches. These are the table lamps, window curtains and tableware (perhaps!).

Today I started on the table lamps; there are 48 tables over the six vehicles and each has a lamp. In the past I have looked at various commercial suppliers of coach lamps, but could not find any of a suitable style for Bulleid vehicles. In the end I have used the lamp shades available from Southern Pride Models, which I have cut down, drilled no.78 to fit .31mm brass wire bent to shape. A base is then added from a small sliver of wire insulation. The whole lamp measures 6mm tall when glued into a hole drilled in the edge of the table. I managed to make 24 today before I had to leave it and uncross my eyes.

No, they do not light up!DSCF2992.JPG.c97ca7219b13125b0c188c7fb6287fda.JPG

Edited by 145 Squadron
Restore photo
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Just a short up date to show progress on the first of the three rakes.

DSCF2993.JPG.859527f9ff4d0a333341d340b64b2f3c.JPGDSCF2994.JPG.fde0e2626532eb52ba933b9148113572.JPGDSCF2995.JPG.de9302bff707c1f4a85969d9a1002ac9.JPG

Not visible in these photos but I have changed the inter-set couplings from the hook and bar the donor coach came with to my adaption of the Keen Systems dummy buckeyes, only retaining the hook and bar at the end of the rake. The dummy buckeyes are a force fit in the NEM pocket but I have had to fit them upside down to clear the buffer beam but this is not very apparent from normal viewing. As the donor coaches came with an extending cam system this means that the coaches have the corridor connections touching on straight track but move apart on curves sufficient to negotiate at least 2'6" radius curves.

The interiors are now complete on the first rake but there is still significant work to do to complete the rake; external transfers, making good the coach ends (gaps due to different bodyside profile) and roof tank filler pipes and end handrails. 

Edited by 145 Squadron
Restore photo
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...

Another months worth of work (interrupted by spells of gardening) I have now added end details to two of the three rakes (12 coaches)

DSCF3021.JPG.611786349e27d69bc1b5d05a1c409975.JPG

The ends/sides have been filled, communication gear 'eyes' added from plasticard then filler pipes fashioned from 0.38mm piano wire plus a short handrail knob and support from some iron wire from some old Sprat & Winkle couplings, all superglued in place. I use piano wire in preference to brass as although harder to bend it keeps its shape better, but does have a tendency to ping across the workroom if you are not careful!

DSCF3022.JPG.60ef5b5859858d5c3993d5981dac7d59.JPG

When painted with coach end grot it all hardly shows!

When I have finished the ends on the final rake I will start on the last job - external transfers.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4