1980s Norfolk Terminus - Loft Layout - New station

SHerr

• RMweb Premium

Well, after about a year of pondering, I've decided to bite the bullet and scrap my existing layout and start again in the loft.

The old layout 'Abercaldy - 1980's Fife' was in my garage and in attempt to not take up the whole of the garage had some pretty tight curves. This was leading to a lot of derailments, difficulties in reaching the fiddle yard and the garage in anything but summer was not a nice place to be.

Following an enforced loft clear out to sort a water tank problem I started thinking it was a better place than the garage for a layout and also much better temperature. A really good space was available with about 20 ft x 8 ft being available depending on precise shape.

At the same time I was starting to become bored with modelling Scotland after 15 years of false starts on different layouts and so with better ranges of rolling stock available I decided to make the plunge and sell off my ScR stock. To my surprise quite a few items made some decent profits over what I had paid for them.

After lots of research, I was heading down the lines of something that resembled Landudno Junction, but felt like I was forcing it in - partially due to a restriction of where the loft hatch was.  However, I kept coming back to spending hours browsing the fabulous Llanbourne on this forum. Eventually it struck me that just because I had a good amount of space, I didn't have to had a tail chaser/circuit. A terminus would offer much more flexibility and I wasn't trying to bring 2 fiddle yard entrances around corners, this also gave me a longer running section.

The layout takes it's inspiration from a combination of Holyhead and Landudno as well as Llanbourne - although didn't want to be just a copy of any. The year will be 1986, this allows class 20, 25, 31, 33 the odd 37, 40 (D200 and departmental), 45 and 47 along with a good selection of DMU's. I was fortunate in acquiring one of the Modelzone sealed beam class 45's at a sensible price for my early 80's Fife layout - it was numbered as a 46 but is a 45 which maybe why it slipped under the radar! This was the biggest gap in the RTR market so I'm happy to have at least one - Now come on Bachmann, surely you can't go wrong by announcing one - I need more.

I drew up some essentials and realised I could fit them all in without feeling too cramped. Decent size station with at least 4 platforms and an overall roof, some reception sidings, a small Speedlink depot, an Engineers Yard, a branch line and a loco shed.

The station will resemble Llandudno although compressed, the approaches probably more Holyhead around the shed/signalbox area. Operationally Llanbourne gives the best feel with all the main traditional North Wales services bound for Scarborough, London, Cardiff and Manchester/Chester and the branch seeing Nuclear flask, explosives and possibly chemical traffic as well as a DMU service. The Engineers Yard will ensure plenty of class 25 and 40 action in in the summer of 1986.

The Following plan was eventually devised in Empire Express - I'm sure it will evolve but a good starting point:

post-21629-0-20808300-1513373902_thumb.png

After what felt like forever boxing out the edges of the loft and insulating, I finally got some baseboard frames up and boards loosely laid out, now to roughly lay out some track and see if the plan looks ok in reality. Early stages but some photos attached and it seems to work. The rest of the insulation still needs finishing but I wanted to make sure I was heading in the right direction.

post-21629-0-98804700-1513374038_thumb.jpg

post-21629-0-60453800-1513374086_thumb.jpg

post-21629-0-41655800-1513374130_thumb.jpg

post-21629-0-68808000-1513374170_thumb.jpg

post-21629-0-48686500-1513374210_thumb.jpg

post-21629-0-81453300-1513374248_thumb.jpg

Whilst playing with track plans and selling Scottish things, a few essentials have come up so I have started building up some new stock, the main purchase was a Trains4u original Provincial 150/1 and a blue 33, I already had D200 and a splitbox 40 that has been renumbered to 97405 along with 20, 25, 45 and 47s as well as a DC Kits class 120. I also managed to get a new chassis for my broken blue 31 that has been in a box for 10 years - hadn't realised it was dead until i moved house a few years ago, annoyingly just after Hornby stopped sending out new chassis.

Progress is likely to be leisurely but hopefully there will be some interesting rolling stock projects.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

What is the temperature at this time of the year in the loft? I was also thinking about it but in the end I insulated and dry-lined my garage. The only cold spot is the garage door - which I need to attack. 

Looking forward to your progress. 

Like the track plan, always good to see a decent sized terminus station.

One question, have you thought about carriage sidings? There would likely be several rakes of stock stabled overnight and the parcels stock would need somewhere during the day. Or you keep then in the platforms or the release road and disrupt the general operation.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Premium

thanks for all the positive comments so far, much appreciated.

In terms of a carriage siding yes I had thought of one, the intention was that the bottom line on the plan would be either a parcels platform or carriage siding. I’ve still not fully decided which and whether it will be a platform line or a siding behind a wall or fence.

Like the track plan, always good to see a decent sized terminus station.

One question, have you thought about carriage sidings? There would likely be several rakes of stock stabled overnight and the parcels stock would need somewhere during the day. Or you keep then in the platforms or the release road and disrupt the general operation.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I managed to spend some time at the weekend working out station dimensions using some trial roof sections I have made.

The roof sections are made from 3 Dapol canopy truss sections, I had made one larger truss but it doesn’t really bring any benefit so I think I will probably be settling on a 3 section roof. I will represent a typical neglected 80s affair with roof lights missing and the roof reduced in length from it’s former glory. The outer walls will be made from Wills arch sections. More to follow.

post-21629-0-50753000-1513797557_thumb.jpeg

post-21629-0-51208600-1513797601_thumb.jpeg

post-21629-0-86425500-1513797680_thumb.jpeg

Also I managed to rig up some temporary wiring and the first test train was pulled by the class 45 - best test of curves and track geometry. Everything seems good with no issues with curve radius and Kadees

post-21629-0-55874100-1513798337_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Merry Christmas to all.

Santa seems to have performed well this year with a little help from the Northwich Elf branch (S&J Models) where just in time this little beauty was discovered. Santa even managed to fit Kadees before going to Senior Management for wrapping.

Will be renumbered to 912 when I need to escape the kids!

post-21629-0-46229600-1514197826_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Any North Wales Layout needs a 25912 it spent a fair bit of time on the coast.

I had been wanting one for years and a mate of mine did one for me.

Merry Christmas cheers Peter.

I always thought your 912 looked superb, the weathering really sets it off which is essential for a 25 in 1986.

I managed to grab 20 mins this afternoon and re-numbered her - I already had the Railtec transfer pack and decided to do the BR logos as well as the Bachmann ones look too heavy.

Anyway - here she is on the workbench posing next to my first trial of an Octel Liquid Chlorine tank - more on that to follow!

post-21629-0-28564200-1514237272_thumb.jpeg

post-21629-0-14846400-1514237324_thumb.jpeg

post-21629-0-03831200-1514237366_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve managed to get the fiddle yard tracks loosely laid over the last week, this is code 100 track as opposed to code 75 on the main layout, mainly because I’ve got lots spare. A couple of short radius turnouts will be changed to medium as I am trying to keep all track to large or medium radius - large, curved or Y only on the scenic sections.

Today I finished off and got it wired up to start some testing, all still loosely laid but seems to run smoothly. Testing involves propelling trains back into the yard with a class 40!

post-21629-0-97768200-1515282610_thumb.jpeg

post-21629-0-56028900-1515282641_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Looking good so far. One question, however. With the arrangement of the fiddle yard "throat" won't it result in restrictive operating, in that it doesn't look like you will be able to have a train arriving whilst another departs, until the arrivee (is that a word?) is well on scene?

Edited by scottystitch

• RMweb Premium

Looking good so far. One question, however. With the arrangement of the fiddle yard "throat" won't it result in restrictive operating, in that it doesn't look like you will be able to have a train arriving whilst another departs, until the arrivee (is that a word?) is well on scene?

I did look at a 2 track approach to the fiddle yard, but 95% of the time the layout will be operated by just me so limited chance of simultaneous moves at the fiddle yard. The arrangement I've some up with keeps a reasonable number of decent length sidings and keeps space down/maximises viewing area.

I must admit to being a little underwhelmed by the big 2's announcements over the last 2 days, the new Bachmann 25 will no doubt find its way onto the layout and the 2 class 40's are looking forwards to their TTS sound decoders, but other than that not much. I still can't see how Bachmann continue not to listen to the regular cries for a sealed beam 45, or how it can be that difficult to produce when they already have 3/4 different nose arrangements in the tooling. Likewise I'm always baffled by Hornby never producing a Blue 31/4 or an original Railfreight 31 over their production period - both were always popular in the Lima range.

• RMweb Gold

Totally understand the fiddle yard throat idea. I recently came to the same conclusion in there is only so much i can do at once and its made the yard bi-directional as i have a roundy roundy layout with a lower level terminus.

I've always found the fiddle yard evolves once you start running trains and as i type this i am now wondering if your design where you have room for dmu tracks in what would other wise be wasted space may be something i could do as well. To late to pop to the shed now though.

• RMweb Premium

It’s nice to find another Plagiarist (if that’s a word); I too decided to copy Pete’s Llanbourne idea with a North Wales through terminus. I did pick up on a few of his ideas and include a continuous run, stretched a story out to include the possibility of overhead wires and use handbuilt track (albeit not my hands!).

I agree with you about the sealed beam 45, although I’ve managed to pick up 2 so far for less than £100. I’m currently frustrated by the absence of an intercity 47 and a blue 31. It’s quite an exciting year though with the promise of a sound fitted 03 (I’m happy to fit my own sound, but the 08 pushed me over the edge), class 20s in blue and in grey, another large logo 47, the 87, 80’s period container flats and the long awaited Bachmann aircons. Not that I can afford even half of that.

I really like the look of your layout and I’m looking foward to you making faster progress than me!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I did look at a 2 track approach to the fiddle yard, but 95% of the time the layout will be operated by just me so limited chance of simultaneous moves at the fiddle yard. The arrangement I've some up with keeps a reasonable number of decent length sidings and keeps space down/maximises viewing area.

I must admit to being a little underwhelmed by the big 2's announcements over the last 2 days, the new Bachmann 25 will no doubt find its way onto the layout and the 2 class 40's are looking forwards to their TTS sound decoders, but other than that not much. I still can't see how Bachmann continue not to listen to the regular cries for a sealed beam 45, or how it can be that difficult to produce when they already have 3/4 different nose arrangements in the tooling. Likewise I'm always baffled by Hornby never producing a Blue 31/4 or an original Railfreight 31 over their production period - both were always popular in the Lima range.

Totally understand the fiddle yard throat idea. I recently came to the same conclusion in there is only so much i can do at once and its made the yard bi-directional as i have a roundy roundy layout with a lower level terminus.

I've always found the fiddle yard evolves once you start running trains and as i type this i am now wondering if your design where you have room for dmu tracks in what would other wise be wasted space may be something i could do as well. To late to pop to the shed now though.

Thanks for the comments, yes there will be DMU sidings, 3 where the 101 is and off the branch where the 150 is there will be at least 1 siding and a loop.

I've currently got 2x 2 car 101's (1 a dummy), a 3 car 120 (DC Kits), a 150/1 and a 142. I'm also going to add a 108. Some services will be 2 car but also looking to run some 4 and 6 car sets as was often found in North Wales - particularly in the summer, hence the dummy set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A couple of notable occasions over the last 10 days, firstly the final main station board was installed.

This was followed fairly quickly with completing the last bit of loose/rough laid track to allow the first test run around the full length.

Also I’ve started on the first part of the station building, loosely fitted up to check it and canopy sizes against track spacing. The station areas inspiration is Llandudno, roof sections are made up of Dapol canopy kits. I wanted something that was fairly robust but also to make sure I could get a repetitive shape/size, I will try to reduce some of the internal parts of the truss to look more realistic.

post-21629-0-83917500-1516657906_thumb.jpeg

post-21629-0-57474500-1516657998_thumb.jpeg

post-21629-0-71144800-1516658133_thumb.jpeg

post-21629-0-50230200-1516658181_thumb.jpeg

post-21629-0-20406600-1516658253_thumb.jpeg

post-21629-0-00421400-1516658302_thumb.jpeg

The building is making good progress and I will post a few more pictures over next few days as almost finished the main shell.

• Like 6