Stanley Bridge WCML N gauge

shanks522

Hello all,

Not anything to exciting.

First up the storage loops are all in place, half the point motors are fitted and i need make a start on the sensors for automation.

post-6774-0-82970600-1533757036_thumb.jpg

New wagons!

The Dapol MJA's look great, only criticism i have is the gap between the pair, i think its a little large so i'll have a go at reducing it.

post-6774-0-73670500-1533757275_thumb.jpg

Onwards with construction!

Graham.

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

Just to show there's a tiny bit of work going on.

I've started on the left hand helix, 4 tracks into 3, now onwards with the circular section to rise up one level.

post-6774-0-21613500-1543612454_thumb.jpg

Birthday this week too, nice surprise from my parents.

post-6774-0-67669500-1543612360_thumb.jpg

Graham. 

• Like 8

That is a rather unsightly gap will be interested to see how you tackle the issue.

Hi Jimmy,

Had a play with the new Dapol MJA's, the gap between them is huge and i can't work out why? i've used Dapol knuckle couplings with a dab of copydex to hold them solid.

post-6774-0-02332500-1537565234_thumb.jp

Seems to do the job.

Graham.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Nicely done certainly improves the look of those wagons. I too have been pondering why Dapol left such a large gap,but I was watching a video on YouTube the other day where a gbrf 66 rolled in with a rake of these and the real life ones have an unsightly gap too, although maybe not as large as Dapol’s!

Helo all, 

Things haven't gone quite to plan today, was hoping to build the helixes but i couldn't get any 6 mm birch ply without driving miles to get it!

instead i made a temporary connection which gave me a circuit and i could test the start of the helix.

At the moment i'm a little worried, the gradient is roughly 1 in 50 so not to drastic, but locos are struggling! I'm testing a multitude of stock with mixed results.

Another issue i've had today is with my IZA's, so far these have more drag than any other item of rolling stock i own.

One comment about them was that the moulded brake blocks might add to the friction, on closer inspection nearly every wagon has at least one wheel that is stiff or rubbing the blocks, not quite sure what i'm going to do too them yet, but one option is to cut the blocks off altoghter.

Made a very short video, the Farish 66 is at its limit with 6 pairs, add one more set and it'll topple the first couple of wagons!

I've also got a damaged 68, seems the bogie tower has fallen apart on one end, not having the best of days!

Graham.

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Graham,

Sounds like a hard day yesterday. I hope it's not got you too down, because despite the bad day, that rake of IZAs looks superb behind the 66.

Was the IZA rake the only one that struggled?

I hope this comment doesn't make thing's worse and is helpful, but I am pretty sure the inside tighter radius on a gradient is the 'worst case'. Have you checked this as well?

I hope today's a better day than yesterday.

All the best

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 1

Was the IZA rake the only one that struggled?

I hope this comment doesn't make thing's worse and is helpful, but I am pretty sure the inside tighter radius on a gradient is the 'worst case'. Have you checked this as well?

Hi David, 

The IZA's just have a lot of drag, I was doing some trials with Farish VGA's which roll very easily compared to the IZA's, The main difference is that the VGA's don't have the moulded brake blocks.

i've tried about 10 rakes of various stock on the gradient, bogie vehicles run more freely which helps but i need to test for worst case scenario, another factor is the 66's aren't the best on a climb, a 60 will out perform everything, but when i put one on 7 pairs of IZAs the drag factor on the wagons puts to much tension on the couplings that the front vehicles get pulled over, also the curve doesn't help! 

The inner most loop which is radius 1 and 2 isn't to bad as its only down hill traffic. 

I'll get there in the end, will just take some fettling.

Graham 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham,

Great video - where is that?

I am sorry you're having trouble with your IZAs. The brake blocks are close to the wheels but rather than remove them completely you may wish to just bend them out a bit.  For the IPA car carriers we have specified that the brakes are moved away from the wheeltreads by a further 0.5mm to avoid this issue in the future.

Also, have you removed the weights from the inside?  They bodies should unclip fairly easily allowing you just to unscrew the weights.  This should help on gradients.

The layout is looking amazing!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hi Ben,

The location of the video is Otford station in Kent.

I have tried all the things you have suggested on the IZAs, I’m 99% sure it’s the wheels/brake blocks that are causing the problems, I did try easing the blocks out but I found they still pinch at the top, they are beautiful wagons, just need some tweaking. I’d be interested to know if anyone else is having similar problems?

Cheers

Graham.

I removed the brake blocks on my Hornby LSWR non corridor coaches as they rubbed too, I can't tell they're missing so I expect with the IZAs being N it will be even more difficult to tell they are missing.

I didn't like doing it but in the end it solved a problem and I don't notice them gone.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben,

The location of the video is Otford station in Kent.

I have tried all the things you have suggested on the IZAs, I’m 99% sure it’s the wheels/brake blocks that are causing the problems, I did try easing the blocks out but I found they still pinch at the top, they are beautiful wagons, just need some tweaking. I’d be interested to know if anyone else is having similar problems?

Cheers

Graham.

None with mine re the brake blocks although I only have one twin set.

• Like 1

Hi Graham,

I noticed when i first set them on the track they didn't seem to roll as far you would normally expect when you pushed them off. Just had a look at one pair at random and noticed that two axles spin freely as you would expect with any model, the other two aren't as free and stop quickly... The blocks are noticeably closer middle to top on these two axles.

I don't envisage a problem on the type of circuit they will eventually run on my layout, but i can fully understand why the increased drag would be giving you problems here. Only a quick look i know, the moulding is very flexible and I don't doubt you won't sort it eventually. And like you say...Beautiful wagons

Good to read Ben's reply re the 0.5mm, car carriers not presently in my plans but these twins always appealed, and have been a lovely addition.

Cheers - Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Helo all, 

Things haven't gone quite to plan today, was hoping to build the helixes but i couldn't get any 6 mm birch ply without driving miles to get it!

instead i made a temporary connection which gave me a circuit and i could test the start of the helix.

At the moment i'm a little worried, the gradient is roughly 1 in 50 so not to drastic, but locos are struggling! I'm testing a multitude of stock with mixed results.

Another issue i've had today is with my IZA's, so far these have more drag than any other item of rolling stock i own.

One comment about them was that the moulded brake blocks might add to the friction, on closer inspection nearly every wagon has at least one wheel that is stiff or rubbing the blocks, not quite sure what i'm going to do too them yet, but one option is to cut the blocks off altoghter.

Made a very short video, the Farish 66 is at its limit with 6 pairs, add one more set and it'll topple the first couple of wagons!

I've also got a damaged 68, seems the bogie tower has fallen apart on one end, not having the best of days!

Graham.

My experience with N gauge gradients, following much experimentation is that for a scale length train, 1 in 100 is more realistic. That is 12 Mk1s hauled by Class 47s, 45s, etc. So not a 66, but similar in wheel arrangement and weight. 1 in 50, especially in a helix, I think will cause you headaches. 

If you can reduce it closer to 1%, I would........

Best

Scott

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replys.

I removed the brake blocks on my Hornby LSWR non corridor coaches as they rubbed too, I can't tell they're missing so I expect with the IZAs being N it will be even more difficult to tell they are missing.

I didn't like doing it but in the end it solved a problem and I don't notice them gone.

Looking at the Farish VGA's that have no blocks fitted i think the IZA's will be fine, only problem would be close up photography.

None with mine re the brake blocks although I only have one twin set.

Good to know Ian, I've got 12 pairs which might cause a headache  :jester:

Hi Graham,

I noticed when i first set them on the track they didn't seem to roll as far you would normally expect when you pushed them off. Just had a look at one pair at random and noticed that two axles spin freely as you would expect with any model, the other two aren't as free and stop quickly... The blocks are noticeably closer middle to top on these two axles.

I don't envisage a problem on the type of circuit they will eventually run on my layout, but i can fully understand why the increased drag would be giving you problems here. Only a quick look i know, the moulding is very flexible and I don't doubt you won't sort it eventually. And like you say...Beautiful wagons

Good to read Ben's reply re the 0.5mm, car carriers not presently in my plans but these twins always appealed, and have been a lovely addition.

Cheers - Steve

Cheers Steve, i picked out 4 pairs at random and tested them all on a yard of track with a 1 in 30 gradient, every pair wouldn't move without a push and even then wouldn't make the bottom. Maybe i need to change the layout  :jester:

My experience with N gauge gradients, following much experimentation is that for a scale length train, 1 in 100 is more realistic. That is 12 Mk1s hauled by Class 47s, 45s, etc. So not a 66, but similar in wheel arrangement and weight. 1 in 50, especially in a helix, I think will cause you headaches. 

If you can reduce it closer to 1%, I would........

Best

Scott

Thanks Scott,

I've done a few layouts with these sort of gradients and to be honest you do get an odd set of results, i know from previous experience a Farish 60 will out pull everything.

I would like to reduce the Gradient but i just don't think its going to be possible without making some drastic changes.

Cheers

Graham. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello all, 

Progress of sorts.

I'm going to ditch the idea of a spiralled helix and instead use the length of the layout to help climb the gradient.

Boss cat turned up to see what was going on, he was not amused to find a GWR Castle on his WCML layout but I'm pleased now as a 4 6 0 can happily haul 7 mk1's up the gradient. 

1755483731_Newgradient.jpg.abbfcc6af43f98ed94aa34356fbd3912.jpg

Onwards with construction now!

Graham. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all, 

Bit of a momentous day, finally got the top baseboard section in place and connected up a running line.

First train to test the layout was a RevolutioN Pendolino. 

More pictures and video to follow.

cheers

Graham. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/06/2019 at 15:35, saxokid said:

Had realy good catch up here Graham:senile::)

many thanks neil.

Hi Neil, glad you like it, i'm having trouble uploading video's to youtube at the moment but more will be on there way soon!

Graham. 

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 23:11, shanks522 said:

Hi Neil, glad you like it, i'm having trouble uploading video's to youtube at the moment but more will be on there way soon!

Graham. 

Yes im too having problems loading up on youtube for some reason..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, 

I'm still having trouble uploading videos so nothing to see yet.

Good news though is that i had a few hours today playing trains ( testing ) Can't remember if it was on here or on the N gauge forum but someone recommended using graphite dust on the axles of my Revolution Cargo twins to make them run more freely, now they roll beautifully! i've been using them as a test bed for the new gradients and results are good, 8 pairs so 16 wagons running well with a Farish 66, even pulls away from a stand still halfway up without problems. 

Hopefully some progress to show over the coming weeks.

Graham. 

• Like 3