Sign the petition for a Gloucester C&W Museum

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Don't let the Network Rail Property sales department get their way!

When I was working for Network Rail, there was an almost irrational determination on the part of Network Rail commercial property to sell this site, so that housing, law courts, flats etc. could be built on it.

I made it my mission to delay and obstruct this as long as I could, demanding to get concessions in the form of replacement sidings elsewhere in the Gloucester 'triangle' area, but the 'suits' in Swindon eventually reneged on the deal, claiming that alternative facilities already existed (well, they arguably did, but only if the same 'suits' were to fund some sensible infrastructure improvements, which of course, they had no intention of doing, claiming that there was 'no business case'.

And thus yet another piece of railway infrastructure at a key location like Gloucester was set to be eroded away.

Now comes this proposal for a railway museum on the site of Horton Road, which I think is an excellent cause and most worthy of our support.

If you feel you would like to sign the petition to Gloucester City Council to save the former Horton Road loco depot buildings and site to form a new railway museum in Gloucester, please follow this link and sign - https://www.change.org/p/gloucester-city-council-save-85b-for-reborn-carriage-and-wagon-company-museum-and-steam-centre

Many thanks.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 9

I have signed. I know the area very well, and I whilst I would love to see the museum project succeed, I would make the following observations:

1. Security at the site would be a nightmare - vandalism would be a big problem.

2. There isn't much left at the site to preserve.

3. I think there would be problems with complaints about smoke if there were steam locos on site.

4. Gloucester doesn't seem to care about its transport heritage - they demolished two ancient wooden aircraft hangers at the site of the Gloster Aircraft factory at Hucclecote which would have made an excellent aircraft museum.

5. The site is ideal for housing, being very close to shops, services and employment, thus being one of the few places that would be truly "sustainable" in the government's terms.

Edited by locoholic

• RMweb Gold

I have signed. I know the area very well, and I whilst I would love to see the museum project succeed, I would make the following observations:

1. Security at the site would be a nightmare - vandalism would be a big problem.

2. There isn't much left at the site to preserve.

3. I think there would be problems with complaints about smoke if there were steam locos on site.

4. Gloucester doesn't seem to care about its transport heritage - they demolished two ancient wooden aircraft hangers at the site of the Gloster Aircraft factory at Hucclecote which would have made an excellent aircraft museum.

5. The site is ideal for housing, being very close to shops, services and employment, thus being one of the few places that would be truly "sustainable" in the government's terms.

1. Agree

2. Agree

3. Mildly disagree, but wouldn't lose sleep if you strongly argue otherwise

4. They like their docks

5. I'm not convinced that it would be a good idea to increase all traffic across Horton Road level crossing.