Farish 2018 wishlist frothing.

steve1023

Agree about the West Country. I would also like to see a large Prairie. I could do,with one but the old version is so bad detail,wise,that I can’t bring myself to buy one no matter how good the price. Of course while they are doing that they could also do a 63xx, like Dapol are doing in OO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Class 25/3 has got to be up there somewhere, they've got a decent chassis ready to go for it yet they still pump out the ye ancient Poole tooling at eye watering prices.

• Like 1

When I was in N it was the Bob/WC that got me excited then it all went very quiet.

Odd now I'm in OO I model pre-war so still no BoB/WC.

But I think one has to be high on someone's list, the 25/3 I agree must be due an upgrade.

Still wonder if a Peak with sealed beam is a goer - I know there is the question mark over who owned the 4mm copyright on that model but in N surely there is no such restriction.

• RMweb Premium

The 158 is in dire need of replacement with something that actually looks like a 158. Unfortunately the OO version retool seems to have got stuck in development hell so a N gauge one could be quite some way off.

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

My guesses for next year:

New tooling:

Crab 2-6-0

25/3

Hampshire 2-car DEMU

Freightliner FFA/FGA container flats

Re-liveries:

Class 150/1 in Silverlink

Class 150/2 in FGW plain blue (akin to Kernow's OO forthcoming limited edition)

Scenecraft:

March station buildings (downsized from OO)

• RMweb Gold

As usual these days, I think we'll be lucky to get no more than a couple of new tool locos. 

Personally I'd love to see a rebuilt Merchant Navy. Or failing that to see Farish to pick up the West Country/BoB since Dapol are currently racked with indecisiveness when it comes to N Gauge. A Lord Nelson would also go down well. 

I think we will eventually see a new Class 158, but given the OO version is still in early CAD development I doubt it will be this year. 

Class 90 is a reasonable bet. The OO EPs appear to have been universally welcomed with almost no major criticism, which may spur them on to repeat it in N gauge. Plus it would complement the forthcoming Mk.2fs nicely. 

Tom.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I think we need to be realistic about our expectations.  The last 2/3 years suggest that we can probably hope for 2/3 new locomotives, with a mix of steam and modern.  I also think we should probably look to the 00 range for inspiration, though that's not necessarily the case - the 319 announced in 2016 was an unexpected treat!

For locomotives, I don't know enough about steam to say but I'd think for diesel/electric enthusiasts the 85 or 90 are obvious contenders.  I'd love a reworked 170 with lights and sound options, but I am not sure that makes financial sense if the older model (which is a decent shape) is still selling.  I also think a reworked 158 will happen but probably not until the 00 version is done.  A shrunk 2-EPB could be possible, depending on how sales of the 4-CEP have gone.

In terms of re-liveries, I know they did the London Underground map 66s in 00 using a new 3D inkjet printing technology - I wonder if they can use the same method in N for one or both of these locos?

For coaching stock, with the Birdcage, Mk2 air cons and Thompsons still in development (though the former are tooled now and at livery sampling stages) they may hold fire on a completely new type; but maybe something like the 4-TC using the research done for the Kernow 00 model is an outside bet.

Wagons?  They have said publicly that the IPA car carrier would be too expensive to produce in N, which is a shame as I think they would be very useful, however their 24T iron ore hopper, prestwin cement wagon or OTA timber carrier might be ripe for reduction.  I agree with the previous poster that the Freightliner wagons would be a sensible bet, while they may even be looking at cut'n'shut versions of their HTA or HYA coal hoppers, as there are a fair number of these in service now, and they have the bogies etc and the CAD work to reduce the bodies in length should be straightforward.  If they are considering the DB versions then that could be a simultaneous project in 00 and N.

Of course, if they want to announce something with real "wow" factor then I'd suggest the breakdown crane they're doing in 00 (samples on show at Warley - impressive!) would be a must for many layouts - even if it spends most of its life in a siding!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hello all,

I think we need to be realistic about our expectations.  The last 2/3 years suggest that we can probably hope for 2/3 new locomotives, with a mix of steam and modern.  I also think we should probably look to the 00 range for inspiration, though that's not necessarily the case - the 319 announced in 2016 was an unexpected treat!

I think the 319 in N first was maybe a nod to the Pendolino as they would go together in their Northern Electric guise and best to strike whilst the iron was hot so to speak.

• RMweb Premium

Freightliner flats are very old models so hopefully the new OO ones will join the shrink ray. A class 25/3 would be a bonus and almost any long frame DMU more so. My wild card would be a 3H DEMU. I can see the breakdown crane coming out in N eventually.

All

As above I will like to see the OTA in N also as a totally out there the humble class 06

Hopefully we will see more liveries on the existing diesel locos and shrinking of OO train sets the class 20 with breakdown coaches would be a good candidate

Hopefully an ML 37/3 in N will appear

Dave

An MLV and 2EPB please and a Thumper too!

Yep, for me as well. And presumably they can all be shrunk down from OO so the research has already been undertaken.

With the 4CEPs appearing to have sold out, the 2EPB would make an ideal follow up companion train. And being just a two car unit would not have a massive price.

G

• Like 1

Aren't they already available RTR in N from UM?

G

The Dukedog is indeed Grahame, so little point in duplicating I would have thought.

I previously suggested a Crab, the Fowler tender is after all already tooled for the 4F, but how about a ROD 2-8-0?

DMU wise, the 117 would be nice but I think price would be a deterrent for a 3 car unit.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Aren't they already available RTR in N from UM?

G

Yes, and whilst the motors are good, the detail is poor, and to my eyes UM models stand out when running next to more detailed models.