Farish 2018 wishlist frothing.

steve1023

I'm also amazed Farish haven't produced a 2-EPB.  It does seem such a obvious choice.  Would be very happy to see a rebuilt MN too.

I don't suppose there'll be too much announced though - didn't they say a year or two ago that they would only anounce new items when they were less than 18 months away from delivery?  Not much sign of last year's announcements hitting the shelves any time soon and there's still quite a backlog from previous years.

Mark

Agree that we won't see much new- agree on 25/3, maybe 20/3 if DRS is a good seller?

Think they'll want to add to the sound range but would they retool an existing chassis such as 47 or 37 to include Class 40 style speaker setup?. Would be great but I suspect not

on the wagon front VEA and OTA would be nice and both are in the Branchline range.

Not sure we'll see a new DMU/EMU, much as I'd like a new 158 but may see more liveries (strathclyde and/or white/blue 101?, Sound-fitted green 101?) I must admit as someone who sets their modelling much further north that I do like the stark plainess of the Southern EMUs and would probably impulse purchase a 2 car type.

Like to see more Highland coaches to add to the impending 37/4 digital set but guess they'll want to see how the set sells first.  Maybe next year and hopefully including the ex-101 observation saloon.

Only make the odd impulse steam purchase but always liked the plain ugliness of the Ivatt 4MT

Trying to think what might be a left-field announcement folowing last year's 319. Did wonder about Tube stock but suspect that can only come to N via succesful crowdfunding.

More than anything I'd like to see them do something about the "core" 50s-70s wagons such as the 12t van and 16t mineral. Ideally a revised chassis for each with NEM sockets but at least a shorter shank coupling to close the gaps on existing tooling because it does detract from very nice models in both cases. Yes I know there are things that can be done to improve this aspect but not by my fingers!

But like every year, to be honest I don't have the faintest idea what's coming but it's nice to have something to look forward to post-Christmas

Maybe not the 37 or 47 but the Peak chassis needs retooling to make it DCC-ready so a new chassis similar to the Class 40 would make sense. I currently have 4 Peaks but would like a split-headcode version plus (although a DC user) I would be tempted by a model with on-board sound; both in green livery.

• RMweb Premium

More than anything I'd like to see them do something about the "core" 50s-70s wagons such as the 12t van and 16t mineral. Ideally a revised chassis for each with NEM sockets but at least a shorter shank coupling to close the gaps on existing tooling because it does detract from very nice models in both cases. Yes I know there are things that can be done to improve this aspect but not by my fingers!

One thing they could do with the 16 tonners is label them a bit more clearly. I bought 377-254A which is labelled just "16 ton steel mineral wagon BR grey (weathered)". It has no top flap and from what I could see of it on the shelf I assumed it to be a rebodied Diag 1/108 vehicle, though a more careful examination of the livery under the weathering would have shown it to be too early for this. The model actually has independent brakes which I believe makes it a mid-1940s wagon and very unlikely still to be in traffic in my period. The history of 16-tonners is quite involved: top marks to Bachmann for producing the variations, but a little more help identifying what the models represent would be welcome.

In terms of actual models, more 1970s rebodied 16 tonners would suit me.

And of course, LMS and BR fitted underframes with clasp brakes are still needed by many modellers, along with LMS vans and opens to go on them. Same as in 4mm, but the availability of rtr underframes would be a particular boon in N.

Another vote for a 117.

On the steam front I would love City of Truro (1957 condition). A Bulleid Light Pacific would be nice but I suspect Dapol's vacillation may put them off, even if it would go nicely with their Bulleid coaches. Speaking of Bulleid coaches, a BCK would be a great addition to the range.

Some GWR non-corridor stock would be great put probably a bit niche. A Large Prairie to modern standards to haul it would be welcome though, the old Poole era version is definitely showing its age.

Edited by Karhedron

attachicon.gif20170910_134310 (2).jpg

.I doubt the K3 will ever be shrunk which is a shame given that they have a very good and all ready to go Group Standard tender drive.

I am very lucky to have a K3 produced from Atso-Cad's 3D print. In my case the rather excellent finishing and painting was done by no other than Atso (Steve) himself. It is powered by the aforementioned Farish B1 tender drive and the loco chassis is a variety of Farish components. I think Steve may now have adapted it to use the Farish N Class chassis.

Roy

The one I was shown at Warley I think uses an N-class chassis.

Les

• RMweb Gold

I suppose the million dollar question is this about what I would like Farish to produce, think they should produce or predict they will produce! I won't even try to guess what they will announce.

I'd love to see the MPV and Class 85 shrunk down. In terms of rolling stock OTA and IPA would be nice.

Perhaps a better move would be the 2-EPB - I really don't understand why they wouldn't do that as it seems so logical.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 2

I am sure the first priority is to bring to market all the already announced items - of which I want some Thompson coaches for Portpatrick Town!

Personally I do not see uprated 25/3, Peaks and Crabs as priority, happy to let my existing examples run on.  Ditto for contemporary my fleet of 158 and 170s.   I would rather see new things.  My DMU vote would be a Craven (105) in green, followed by the 100.  But I can appreciate the desire for a 117, which would open up the possibility of more 63 ft units.  I like the idea suggested above of a Director (D11).  But even then I picked up a nicely finished GEM kit on EBay for not very much.  I missed a good used UM version at a recent show through dithering!   I would prefer a Glen or a Stanier 262T.  For earlier diesels, given DJM is progressing the Clayton, my preference would be a 21/29 followed by the BoCo (28). 

For current stock how about the sleepers in current Caledonian livery?  And the Mk 2s to go with them?  Dapol already do the 67 and perhaps they could do the 73 as well.

But all this is no doubt pure fantasy.

25/3 is just too logical to ignore. I’d certainly have one. Not expecting much in the way of new models though as the backlog is caught up with. I’d like to see the VEA but I suspect the 00 will be out first.

Some more batches of MK1 coaches would be nice.

Chocolate & Cream SK,CK,BSK,FK and RU.

Green BSK,CK and TSO, plus maybe an FO with the yellow stripe this time, a BCK with the "silver" window frames that a Southern Region MK1 BCK should have, and, hopefully when the second batch of RMBs emerge, they will have the red stripe this time.

Intercity Charter MK1 BCK and FO.

West Highland Line TSO and BCK.

The G2 is available from Union Mills so I think it's unlikely that Farish would offer one as well.

I like union mills models very much :) Particularly the southern machines. They have brilliant running qualities and with extra detailing can be turned into very nice models, particularly the newer releases. The Dean goods will be a little present to myself in the new year.

But come on, the Farish model would be a very different animal ;)

EDIT: If only for ease of DCC fitting.

Edited by Mr chapman

They said they only did the J39 because they could reuse the tender-drive mechanism off the B1.

Shame they didn't use it to make a V2 that could actually pull something.... The BEST of my five struggles with six bogies on the level.

Les

Shame they didn't use it to make a V2 that could actually pull something.... The BEST of my five struggles with six bogies on the level.

Les

I agree Les, in fact it would be a simple enough repower the V2 using a J39/B1 tender drive which would also provide DCC capability and if using a lined B1 tender coupled to a black V2 no repainting and only a few cosmetic modifications. However in all honesty having recently taken one of mine out of the box to look at, the skirt grates too much, especially on the green ones and standards have since risen, .

Roy

IMO the V2 was pretty good (in detail terms) for the time it was launched (with wire handrails, glazed cab windows, good paint finish, etc.,) and has stood up pretty well in comparison with more recent models - apart from the solid non-see-through spoked wheels. And I'm sure it would be possible to do something about the 'skirt' with a little modelling effort if one was going to use a tender drive mechanism, and perhaps even re-chassis with see through spoked wheels along with adding more details like lamp irons and pipes. It would be a nice little detailing modelling project. Perhaps someone could have a go and write it up for the NGS Journal  :D

post-33-0-74863000-1514118269_thumb.jpg

G