Farish 2018 wishlist frothing.

steve1023

• RMweb Premium

One thing they could do with the 16 tonners is label them a bit more clearly. I bought 377-254A which is labelled just "16 ton steel mineral wagon BR grey (weathered)". It has no top flap and from what I could see of it on the shelf I assumed it to be a rebodied Diag 1/108 vehicle, though a more careful examination of the livery under the weathering would have shown it to be too early for this. The model actually has independent brakes which I believe makes it a mid-1940s wagon and very unlikely still to be in traffic in my period. The history of 16-tonners is quite involved: top marks to Bachmann for producing the variations, but a little more help identifying what the models represent would be welcome.

In terms of actual models, more 1970s rebodied 16 tonners would suit me.

And of course, LMS and BR fitted underframes with clasp brakes are still needed by many modellers, along with LMS vans and opens to go on them. Same as in 4mm, but the availability of rtr underframes would be a particular boon in N.

They're there for all to see on the retailers' websites--good photos too.

And when it comes to the G2 and 7F, Union Mills has done the 7F as well.  I have one of each.  Boy do they pull.

I presume by 7F we are thinking of the Austin 7, Fowler's rather under bearinged and sad update of the G2.

Interesting idea about putting a B1 tender drive in the V2.  Mine never has to pull more than 6 coaches or a dozen fish vans so haulage has not been a problem.

• RMweb Premium

I've just been to my shed and looked at a couple of Farish VBA vans, there is something that really needs a retool as well along with the admittedly acceptable OAA which unfortunately looks poor next to the OBA and OCA. 

Another one I suggested to Bachmann (in writing) which would involve zero tooling other than a label for the box was to do the 101 and 108 centre trailers as separate items to allow an upgrade path.

Again I can't see it actually happening.

Les

• Like 1

And when it comes to the G2 and 7F, Union Mills has done the 7F as well. I have one of each. Boy do they pull.

I presume by 7F we are thinking of the Austin 7, Fowler's rather under bearinged and sad update of the G2.

Interesting idea about putting a B1 tender drive in the V2. Mine never has to pull more than 6 coaches or a dozen fish vans so haulage has not been a problem.

I was actually thinking of the SDJR 7F 2-8-0

• Like 3

I'd also settle for a Darlington-built A1 (flush rivets) with a proper chimney and late crest- the late crested one so far is Doncaster-built with snap rivets.

I don't want to count the rivets but on Darlington-built A1s you couldn't see them either.

Another item not to hold my breath for.

Les

A green Class 40 with split headcode would be quite nice also.

Edited by Les1952

Seems like the thread has evolved in to a wish list from speculating what Farish are likely to announce for their 2018 range. So I'll add wants for

BR and Bulleid 2 and 4 EPB

4CIG

4VEP

Refurbished 4CEP

Class 455

Class 456

That'll do for starters . . . .

G

• Like 2

Now that Dapol has shifted it's emphasis to 00 and 0 gauge locos perhaps Farish would now update it's previous "air-smoothed" Bulleid West Country and Battle Of Britain and BR "modified" Merchant Navy pacifics.

The current Farish "air smoothed" Merchan Navy is a beautiful model!

Ian

Edited by OFFTHE RAILS

Perhaps a slope sided tender version of the N class? A rerun of Southern green this time with smoke deflectors would add enough variety to make it worth while.

This time maybe a larger run of southern livery! They always sell out before every other version.

Example...

Olive M7

Olive terrier

Olive schools

Olive N

I know these are mostly from another manufacturer but it does suggest a pattern with buyers worth taking note of. I bet you any money the southern black C class sells out before the other versions.

Edited by Mr chapman

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Farish could add to its LMS fleet a Compound or 2P 4-4-0.

The Compound wasn't "breathed upon" by China in Farish's initial loco upgrades in the early 2000s so a new version would be much welcomed.

Although Union Mills produce a 2P, it's the earlier Midland version.

An un-named B1 in LNER green would also be welcome!

"the southern black C class sells out before the other versions"

Do manufacturers make equal numbers of each variant (beyond minimum livery run requirements) or adjust numbers of each to their best guess as to possible sales?

CFJ

Time for my predictions, there will be some new tooling but not a lot.

Diesel - only class left to do in N gauge is possibly the 25/3 or the peak's. Given they are playing catch up my money would be on the 25 as it can use a lot of the existing 25 model. In new liveries perhaps a run of 37/4's in large logo and Intercity, 40 will get swaps of liveries and front ends (blue with discs), some variant of the 47/8 could appear I reckon.

Electric - Diesel classes are running out so perhaps electrics will get a look in, if so the 90 is a prime candidate given the new OO one coming.

Steam - LMS have a large express engine (Duchess), mixed traffic engine (black 5), freight engine (8F) and large tank (Fairburn) and small (Jinty) so I don't think the LMS will get a steam engine. 

Southern has express engine (merchant navy), small tender (N mogul) but no tank, can't think what they would do in the tank range so unless its an S15 or Lord Nelson I think southern modellers will be disappointed.

LNER has the express engines (A1 and A2), mixed traffic (B1), small tank engine (J72) is planned still - so could we see an LNER freight engine? If so my money is on the O4 getting shrunk.

GWR - express loco (Castle) and small tank engine (64XX) are in the range but nothing in between. Dapol has the original Hall but has yet to do the modified, could Farish claim this one or will they steal the 43XX from DJ Models? Perhaps the 61XX is getting its long overdue upgrade

Coaches - don't think we will see any announced given the Thompsons and MK2F's are still to come out.

Trucks - OTA Timber wagon would make a good option, especially if the 37/4's are done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They must do a re-run of the 55s--no Scottish regiments from the first batch, a Finsbury Park racehorse and a green FYE  version also still to do.

Talking of green FYE, the 47 ought to be considered for this too. All 'easy' jobs I reckon.

• RMweb Premium

Time for a few re-liveries:

Strathclyde orange/black 2- or 3-car 101

101 and/or 108 in original refurbished white with rail blue stripe

"Highlander" Mk2s and observation car ex-101 DTCL in green and cream livery based on OO version http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/39-005.jpg&cat_no=39-005&info=0&width=800&height=185

as add-on to 370-048 Highlander Digital train set due shortly http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/farish/370-048.jpg&cat_no=370-048&info=0&width=800&height=564

InterCity Swallow Mk1 BCK, FO with white roofs for charter train use

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some years back in OO land, the Class 108 was produced as a Class 107 in Strathclyde orange/black, overlooking the slight differences between the Class 107 and 108 (not sure what they were though, window height or something I think).  Would we be prepared to accept the same compromises in N scale and take a 108 as a 107 in Strathclyde colours?

Still prefer a 101 though!  Been trying to find a sensibly priced one second hand to repaint, not a hope in hell and even the old Poole tooling ones are fetching silly money now.

• Like 1