Farish 2018 wishlist frothing.

steve1023

Apologies, I hadn't actually noticed these were out.

They look nice enough, but I wouldn't say they're a sufficient basis for me to be confident that N coaches from this factory would be up to Bachmann's standards though.

Weren't the Mermaids incorrectly numbered with a slightly out wheelbase? Not a good start.

I do find the hand wringing and sniping in n rather dispiriting - compare current offerings to what was around in the 90s.

Be grateful and model. N gauge modellers (and I am one) seem to be especially aflicted by having half empty glasses rather than half full.

Like everyone I'll be keen to see what is announced but a little patience and positivity wouldn't go amiss.

Sounds like Queen on here

"I want it all...I want it all....I want it all and I want it now...."

(Having said that - I want a 63'DMU preferably a 120) ! My BH enterprises 120 is pretty crude (and that's with my half full glass) !

Kind regards

Matt Wood

Edited by D826
  • Like 1

Weren't the Mermaids incorrectly numbered with a slightly out wheelbase? Not a good start.

On the N-Gauge forum (not exactly renowned for being pro-Dave Jones) there are two posts (out of 13 pages) from someone suggesting two of the numbers of the black four mermaids belong to the wrong batch.  The only comment on wheelbase is that the wheelbase of the DJM one is right.  NOBODY there has criticised the wheelbase- and that forum is exactly where I would have expected someone to have a pop if valid criticism were warranted.

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Apologies for slight thread drift..

Thanks to Tom E for his comments - too kind! One thing I would say about Dapol is that their 68 samples at Warley looked stunning. My understanding is that these models will be leaving China during Q1 this year, and I hope they mark a return to form. While it's nice to be considered the "prime disrupter" I would argue that N benefits most from high end models coming in from all manufacturers!

Back on topic, last year the Farish theme was "Railfreight", the year before "Network South East" as it was 30 years since the launch of each respectively. Was Swallow Intercity launched in 1988? The Class 91s certainly were...

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

I hope not! They are really a "main range" type item that should be easily available regularly "off the shelf" for new entrants to the hobby in the future etc. They're suitable for every era from pre-War to the present, and would surely be a good stable long term seller.

There would be some logic in Bachmann producing them, even if they are less likely to be able to sell them in OO as well. The Pullmans were in the old Poole range, but OO would result in duplication with Hornby's high spec model - the same situation as with the Class 31.

We have yet to see anything from DJM in N gauge actually appear, and Dapol's paint finish and glazing on coaches haven't tended to meet the standards that Bachmann achieve (what is with that odd matte finish that Dapol tend to deliver?). Frankly I'd be disappointed if either DJM or Dapol "bagged" these Pullmans.

J

I totally agree (about the bread and butter models bit). I would have thought these would be at the top of the list for any manufacturer. Look at the continued sale of the old Farish models on eBay! I would rather Farish made them as standard models

Hello all,

Thanks to Tom E for his comments - too kind! One thing I would say about Dapol is that their 68 samples at Warley looked stunning. My understanding is that these models will be leaving China during Q1 this year, and I hope they mark a return to form. While it's nice to be considered the "prime disrupter" I would argue that N benefits most from high end models coming in from all manufacturers!

Back on topic, last year the Farish theme was "Railfreight", the year before "Network South East" as it was 30 years since the launch of each respectively. Was Swallow Intercity launched in 1988? The Class 91s certainly were...

Cheers

Ben A.

I may be remembering incorrectly here, but weren't the railfreight and NSE models mostly reliveries of existing products which came to market in the same year as the announcement?

As much as I'd be delighted with a new 90 or 91 announcement to mark 30 years of service, the reality is they wouldn't be on the shelves for 2-3 years minimum.

I'm cautiously optimistic we'll see both retooled in n gauge at some point, but I suspect it'll be closer to their 40th anniversary than their 30th!

Hello all,

Cheers

Ben A.

I may be remembering incorrectly here, but weren't the railfreight and NSE models mostly reliveries of existing products which came to market in the same year as the announcement?

As much as I'd be delighted with a new 90 or 91 announcement to mark 30 years of service, the reality is they wouldn't be on the shelves for 2-3 years minimum.

I'm cautiously optimistic we'll see both retooled in n gauge at some point, but I suspect it'll be closer to their 40th anniversary than their 30th!

• RMweb Gold

Well it appears the chances of us getting a Lord Nelson in N Gauge at any point in the future have likely significantly decreased thanks to Hornby announcing a new OO version today.

Tom.

Farish should produce the flat sided 1928 build Pullman Brake ends to complement the Metro-Cammells - without them there isn't a full (8 with steam, more with diesels) set for the late steam/transition era. Then it's only a little step to produce the other flat sided Pullmans, a bit like the NGS Thompson BG leading to further Thompsons (of course helped by the shrink ray from the OO models). And with grey roofs, please.

Modelling 1929/30 I'd certainly go for a rake of K-Type Pullmans of 1928 vintage. Then I'd only need to remodel two of the old Poole Pullman brakes into H-Types to have a complete Bournemouth Belle (okay, it only started in 1931 but it's one of my very few out-of-period indulgences).

• Like 1

Already set out my wish list in another thread but, with my feet firmly in the BR blue era, I am crossing my fingers for:

1. A high density BR suburban DMU in blue / grey...shrinking the class 117 being the obvious route to achieve this

2. A blue grey 2EPB EMU

3. A class 31 without the roof mounted headcode box..i.e a 'toffee apple' 31

4. Would love a class 85 and a retooled 87

5. A class 45 peak with new DCC chassis

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We can probably make an educated guess at next years announcements based on what Bachmann are retooling in OO and what is completely absent from this years range.

That leads to a possibility of the chassis of the 25, 37 and 101 being retooled to get that speaker in (probably being worked on now I would wager but not announced as won't be ready for a 2018 delivery) with the later style body retool of the 25/3 being incorporated therein at the same time.

The message is here is be patient....

We can probably make an educated guess at next years announcements based on what Bachmann are retooling in OO and what is completely absent from this years range.

That leads to a possibility of the chassis of the 25, 37 and 101 being retooled to get that speaker in (probably being worked on now I would wager but not announced as won't be ready for a 2018 delivery) with the later style body retool of the 25/3 being incorporated therein at the same time.

The message is here is be patient....

Agree with all the above and probably a new chassis for the 44/45/46 with speaker etc. 2019 could be an expensive year...