Farish 2018 wishlist frothing.

steve1023

The more I think about it the more the S&D 7F makes sense. They already have the stanier and MK1 coaches available as well as some smaller midland loco's. You also have southern locos and coaching stock from "the other guys". They produced a SDJR livery jinty and 4f as well so obviously like the subject :)

• Like 2

Some years back in OO land, the Class 108 was produced as a Class 107 in Strathclyde orange/black, overlooking the slight differences between the Class 107 and 108 (not sure what they were though, window height or something I think).  Would we be prepared to accept the same compromises in N scale and take a 108 as a 107 in Strathclyde colours?

Still prefer a 101 though!  Been trying to find a sensibly priced one second hand to repaint, not a hope in hell and even the old Poole tooling ones are fetching silly money now.

Problem with this in N gauge is the Farish class 108 is the type without headcode box. The Strathclyde class 107 units had the headcode box. Bachmann model the class 108 with & without the headcode box in OO scale.

• RMweb Gold

I wasn’t going to pitch in on this thread but I’ve been ill since Christmas Day and thinking about what I would pre-order if it were announced has cheered me up a bit so what the hell, here goes...

Class 25/3 (as others have mentioned) Tamworth Castle in two tone green perhaps?

BGs in NSE and all over blue “Newspaper” variants (ditto)

GUVs in blue/grey and Intercity with Motorail branding (ditto)

One of the GWR150 green 47s (highly unlikely, I’d have thought)

37350 in BR green (no chance)

Skinhead Class 31 (one of the Old Oak Common locos: 31117 or 31121 would be ideal)

OTAs in Railfreight red (again, I’m not the only one hoping for these)

Middle coach for the Class 108 DMU (as mentioned by others)

Mk1 TPO storage coaches (comes quite high in the almost annual wish list poll)

Any sort of wagon with a crane which would suit engineers or breakdown trains (the sort of thing most layouts could accommodate)

It worked, I feel a bit better now :)

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Premium

Problem with this in N gauge is the Farish class 108 is the type without headcode box. The Strathclyde class 107 units had the headcode box. Bachmann model the class 108 with & without the headcode box in OO scale.

Let's stick a headcode box variant 108 on the wish list then, I am sure there are those here who would be interested.

• Like 1

Good point about the OTA John.  I have built a few of the Chivers kits but would buy a few RTR if available.

Turning to the 108 and 107.  Somewhere on the N Gauge forum I once referred to having bought a 3 car blue 108 with a view to adding a head code box and running it as a 107.  I still intend to.  But someone came on a gave a link which led to a detailed list of the differences.  Not least the 108s are lightweight and the 107s are not.  There are a number of subtle differences.  My personal take is that the general impression would be nearly right so I will go with it.  Would not suit those who are more particular about accuracy.

Here is the link

http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-107/description

To be quite honest I'm not expecting any announcement of new toolings.  So I'll be disappointed waiting for a V1/3 or K1.

Most of my personal wish list (see posts spread above) basically amounted to reliveries and a boxed set item being made available separately.

I'm still not holding my breath.....

Les

Pre MK1 Pullmans seem the most conspicuous missing item in UK N gauge. The grouping era Pullman has got to be one of the single most recognisable items of British rolling stock.

On the surface the Bachmann MK1 Pullman seems an odd choice, but obviously it's because Hornby have bagged the earlier type in OO. On past performance, this would mark them out as a Dapol model. But then they've lost interest in N gauge.

The logical solution would be for Hornby/Arnold to use their Brighton Belle as the basis of a model, but I get the sense they had their fingers burned by the difficulty in shifting the BR Blue versions (lots of reduced stock around for ages, even though the umber and cream ones went relatively quickly)

J

• Like 2

Pre MK1 Pullmans seem the most conspicuous missing item in UK N gauge. The grouping era Pullman has got to be one of the single most recognisable items of British rolling stock.

On the surface the Bachmann MK1 Pullman seems an odd choice, but obviously it's because Hornby have bagged the earlier type in OO. On past performance, this would mark them out as a Dapol model. But then they've lost interest in N gauge.

The logical solution would be for Hornby/Arnold to use their Brighton Belle as the basis of a model, but I get the sense they had their fingers burned by the difficulty in shifting the BR Blue versions (lots of reduced stock around for ages, even though the umber and cream ones went relatively quickly)

J

Farish should produce the flat sided 1928 build Pullman Brake ends to complement the Metro-Cammells - without them there isn't a full (8 with steam, more with diesels) set for the late steam/transition era. Then it's only a little step to produce the other flat sided Pullmans, a bit like the NGS Thompson BG leading to further Thompsons (of course helped by the shrink ray from the OO models). And with grey roofs, please.

• Like 1

I would imagine that was because they produced an equal amount of blue grey to traditional units. Had they produced more standard coloured 5BEL's they would have sold more. If they produced a 67 livery version with the small yellow panels they would sell. Or a rerun of 30's condition units.

But proper Pullman cars would sell by the bucket load. If Farish don't make them I would have thought a DJM crowd funder would be the best bet. Even if sold in rakes of 6, 8 and 10.

If Farish don't make them I would have thought a DJM crowd funder would be the best bet. Even if sold in rakes of 6, 8 and 10.

I hope not! They are really a "main range" type item that should be easily available regularly "off the shelf" for new entrants to the hobby in the future etc. They're suitable for every era from pre-War to the present, and would surely be a good stable long term seller.

There would be some logic in Bachmann producing them, even if they are less likely to be able to sell them in OO as well. The Pullmans were in the old Poole range, but OO would result in duplication with Hornby's high spec model - the same situation as with the Class 31. 

We have yet to see anything from DJM in N gauge actually appear, and Dapol's paint finish and glazing on coaches haven't tended to meet the standards that Bachmann achieve (what is with that odd matte finish that Dapol tend to deliver?). Frankly I'd be disappointed if either DJM or Dapol "bagged" these Pullmans.

J

I hope not! They are really a "main range" type item that should be easily available regularly "off the shelf" for new entrants to the hobby in the future etc. They're suitable for every era from pre-War to the present, and would surely be a good stable long term seller.

A crowd funded initial run doesn't preclude this, in fact it facilitates it should it be done with regards covering development and tooling costs. As you say, these are bread and butter items and will keep selling so long as you keep producing viable batch sizes.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I'm a big fan of the Farish Mk1 Pullmans, and would be very happy if they did some of the more classic ones too, though I can see that being unable to upscale them to 00 might make them a long shot.

Out of interest, are the Brighton Belle inner cars the same as any of the loco hauled Pullman types? I don't know much about older coaching stock - but if so maybe Arnold could be tempted to offer them?

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Frankly I'd be disappointed if either DJM or Dapol "bagged" these Pullmans.

I'd have thought that if they are something you really would like to see RTR then you'd be pleased if anyone announced and produced them.

G

Out of interest, are the Brighton Belle inner cars the same as any of the loco hauled Pullman types? I don't know much about older coaching stock - but if so maybe Arnold could be tempted to offer them?

I'm not sure if they were a variant of a loco hauled type, but most of the ex-Belle coaches became hauled stock, some of which were in the VSOE set for a while.

• RMweb Gold

I'd have thought that if they are something you really would like to see RTR then you'd be pleased if anyone announced and produced them.

G

I can understand where Justin is coming from.

My own view & experience is that Bachmann are at the very top of their game right now when it comes to the Farish range. When you take into account all aspects of recent Farish products there really isn’t much comparison in the N Gauge market today. For that reason there are certain models I’d rather see Farish produce because you can be confident you will get a good, accurate, detailed model. Perhaps more importantly, Bachmann now seem to be over the niggly QC issues that affected some of their earlier models, certainly in the case of the most recent releases. What they really need to address are the long lead times from announcement to release.

Revolution (via Rapido) are unquestionably snapping at Bachmann’s heals, especially with modern image. The TEA is a superb model, and those still in development show huge promise from the working samples & CADs we have seen, not to mention Rapido’s proven track record. If the Pendolino isn’t 2018 N Gauge model of the year there is no justice! For me, Revolution are now the market disruptors, a position from which they have deposed Dapol.

DJM’s first N Gauge release (Mermaid) has been well received from what I’ve read and the Class 17 appears to show early promise. Not being at the point of having a functioning EP for any of the proposed N Gauge locos, I’m reserving judgement for the time being, but I hope Dave can successfully deliver models that rival Bachmann. Time will tell!

*A correction to the above, as I now understand DJM's Class 17 was shown in functioning EP form at TINGS & Warley. 

Dapol on the other hand have failed to move forward when it comes to N Gauge, sticking with the same basic design principles that, whilst delivering finely moulded bodies, are often racked with compromises, finish inaccuracies, silly basic mistakes and with hit & miss performance. At least that’s certainly been my experience. On top of this, I’ve been left with the view that the will to expand their N Gauge range is wavering somewhat at the moment.

So when it comes to models of locos I would like to buy, my first hope would be to see Farish or Revolution make the announcement. At least then I can be sure I’ll get a good quality product. Of course if Dapol were to announce something I really wanted I would have to keep my fingers crossed and just hope they were having a good day, but I’d freely admit to wishing someone else had beaten them to it.

Tom.

Edited by TomE

Dapol on the other hand have failed to move forward when it comes to N Gauge, sticking with the same basic design principles that, whilst delivering finely moulded bodies, are often racked with compromises, finish inaccuracies, silly basic mistakes and with hit & miss performance. 

Dapol have announced that they will be re-deigning the revived class 50 announcement and it will feature some new, to them, design principle features. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

G.