On 28/01/2019 at 17:47, Regularity said:

I sent a link to this thread to Barry Norman, and his response described it as, “...finely modelled and of a rare prototype”.

Thank you.

And thank you all for the positive feedback. It is way too cold to be in the attic at the moment, so I have some other projects to keep me going. I am hoping to get the west end of the layout completed when the temperature starts to come up a bit.

John

• 1 month later...

Now that the attic temperature is more hospitable I can hopefully do a bit more on the layout. The winter has been mostly spent building stock for the earlier pre-grouping period, so has been quite productive.

Today did though see the first train of the season running after a bit of tidying up and rail cleaning. BR era in my 1952 timetable.

This is the 10.23 am from Fraserburgh approaching Rosehearty;

IMG_3442.jpg.ea4a3a1e36de7b2e435c09a62937c933.jpg

The leisurely pace over the 3 miles 65 chains from Fraserburgh means there is time to get a second photograph at the platform in Rosehearty before the service heads to the branch terminus at New Aberdour; 

IMG_3445-1.jpg.cedced53993d42c6be420dd7fadd3487.jpg

Hopefully, I will now be able to make some progress with the left-hand end of the layout and finish off some of the areas that are requiring attention.

Cheers

John

IMG_3442.jpeg

Edited by sulzer27jd
  • Like 19

11 hours ago, ianathompson said:

Like the station building. It captures the GNoSR atmosphere very well.

What was the prototype?

I measured up Dufftown before settling on Portsoy.

Ian T

Thanks, Ian, it is not based on any specific prototype but I have tried to capture the feel of the company' stone-built stations. The main dimensions were extracted from the drawing of Brucklay in the Railways of Buchan book. John

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, sulzer27jd said:

Here is the branch train returning to Fraserburgh;

IMG_3664.jpg.c31e10f8de67e1e969a30478c2e5fe3b.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg.322e8b5fb29792a0538a09180ac50dab.jpg

John

I'd Just like to say that I like the approach you've taken to painting the stone finish. It really "looks right" on the station buildings.  These buildings in the North East have epic mortar courses between the granite blocks and I can't imagine you'd find any embossed card that reproduced the effect. 

13 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

I'd Just like to say that I like the approach you've taken to painting the stone finish. It really "looks right" on the station buildings.  These buildings in the North East have epic mortar courses between the granite blocks and I can't imagine you'd find any embossed card that reproduced the effect. 

Thanks for that. Getting the effect of the textured but flush finished stonework was a key challenge as it is so distinctive. The harsh northeast climate means that every joint and recess gets filled flush to prevent frost damage.  I did try other options, such as filling embossed sheet but in the end, I settled for the pained effect. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks, John

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
5 hours ago, ianblenk said:

The bare wood on the open is brilliant! How did you do that? Best I've seen

Ian B

Many thanks Ian, much appreciated. The wood effect starts with white primer which is then painted with a light mix of Tamiya deck tan and white. For older wood I omit the second step and just stay with the white primer. This wagon represents one that is 5-6 years old so is still reasonably young wood.  I then wash over the planks with a very thin wash of black artists oil in turpentine. 

The metalwork was picked out roughly in a bauxite colour and the whole thing sprayed with Testors Dulcote. Lettering was done and another spray of Dulcote. 

The weathering is a two stage process using firstly the same wash applied along all the lines, seams and edges, then I use PanPastels powders to build up the grime. 

I only really ever use 2 colours of oils and 4 colours of PanPastels. 

thanks again. 
John

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Everything beautifully caught, including the "casual concentration" of the loco driver as he goes about his business.

I've gone far too far in OO gauge to consider changing at this stage in life, but your O gauge scene is so full of well-observed detail.........

Looking forward to more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...