Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I have been working, albeit slowly, on a new 00 gauge layout - yes another diesel depot. I have attached a couple of 'taster' photographs, but will follow these with some more over the coming weeks. Progress has been very slow, for a number of reasons, but will add updates when time permits. I will also add a photo showing the whole layout when I get chance and this will show the track plan as well.

Some months ago I bought a dynamis DCC and slowly have been collecting blue diesels and then weathering these (there are a couple yet to do). Then I needed somewhere to run them. A start was made on a layout in the shed, but progress was slow and thought that this would be difficult to take out to exhibitions, due to size / transportation / operators (my other operating being my 12 year son, although keen on railways may find this shed layout a bit tedious at a show). Therefore, the decision was made to built a smaller layout that could easily be exhibited. This can also be incorporated into the shed layout. A diesel depot was decided upon, being based in Devon, in Southern Region (concrete adornments to be added later) and between 1975 - 1983, when I was train spotting. I could then run classes 25, 33, 31, 50, 47, 37 etc - all being seen in Devon at this time.

The overall size is 2.2m x 0.4m, with integral fiddle yard, with only 4 points. Simple, but hopefully interesting. The main features being - maintenance shed (for simple inspections / day-to-day maintenance), two sidings for re-fueling, fuel off-loading siding and one further siding for class 08 or odd wagon or two. An additional siding is being added from beyond the scenic break, representing the end of a siding from beyond the bridge. The bridge will be based upon that at Lapford on the Exeter to Barnstaple line. The only main structure started so far being the maintenance shed. The exterior has largely been finished, but interior to be completed (interior supporting steelwork has been completed though). These has not been fixed to the base yet, due to the scenary behind not being started (once the building is in place, no space to work).

All the track is Peco 00 code 100 (thats what I had already) and wired for DCC, with the points fitted with SEEPS and will be wired for DCC operation. The track has been ballasted and partly painted, but still needs more work before I am happy with it. The track has been throughly tested (by my son with all of my locos on the layout at one time).

I had better get a move on, as booked for a show in July - more details to follow.

Thanks for looking. I will add updates as and when I get chance, but please feel free to comment / ask any questions.

post-7854-127040380172_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127040381816_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127040384023_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127040385885_thumb.jpg

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Georgie

The two locos shown both started as the Bachmann weathered versions, but I have added further weathering using acrylics / games workshop paints, using photos of real locos as a reference.

I will show a few more locos on the next set of photos that I will take.

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

Yes the shed is scratchbuilt.

The main structure is 40 thou plasticard (sheets joined together as standard sheets not long enough), with quite a few lengths of Evergreen channel being fitted inside (photos to be added), which provide additional stiffness and interior realism. The outside is clad with Slaters corrugated plasticard. The bricks being Scalescenes. Everything else (expect for the sings - also Scalescenes). The shed has been painted with Humbrol acrylics and then weathered using acrylics (from local artshop).

Cheers

• Like 1

what a super layout MM. Love the shed with the sheet iron.

By the way it's not just another TMD layout. It's a layout in in it's own right. There are just as many branch line terminus layouts!

I love TMD layouts ( mine is Four Feet lane) especially everyones different interpretations of them.

Keep us posted with pics.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I've added a couple of photos taken during track laying, to give an idea of the track plan. However, I will post a better overall photo in the next few days (assuming the weather is dry!). The drawing pins are being used to hold the track down whilst the PVA dries - which are ready to lift.

Darren - thanks for the suggestion - I will have a look at this ballast.

Cheers

post-7854-127041106084_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127041107703_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Made a little progress on the layout, now that the evenings are lighter and warmer. Layout currently living in the garage, but will need to be moved back to the shed.

Photos to follow over the weekend, but jobs completed:

1) Additional track laid and ballasted.

2) Bridge template cut from card before committing myself to cutting the plywood (should be cut and glued over the weekend ready for the DAS covering. This will then be carved to represent stone. This will be two arch - based very much on that at Lapford (Exeter to Barnstaple line).

3) A start has been made to the low relief buildings at the other end of the building.

Next jobs - finish interior floor in shed, finish low relief building and start scenary along rear of layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I have made a little progress on Orchard Road and have attached three photos showing some of the progress.

A start has been made on the low-relief factory buildings at the end of the layout. I have used Scalescene brick on a foamboard base. The windows are only temporary. Still to add will be the roof, guttering and other details. The building will then be lightly weathered using pastels - hopefully will make some progress over the weekend.

I have shown an interior shot of the engine shed and shows the relationship to the low-relief factory. The interior 'concrete' will be completed when the shed has been glued in position - still loose as I need to complete the scenary behind the shed as once this is place, I won't be able to get to the scenary. I have used triangular sections in the building for stiffness, but will be covered when glued and 'concreted' in position.

The third photo shows the cardboard bridge which will be used as a template for when I cut the plywood for the proper bridge.

Sorry, quality of photos not great. Will do better next time.

post-7854-127092096759_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127092098124_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127092099785_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, another week gone and a little more progress on Orchard Road.

The bridge has been built using plywood and now covered in ready mixed tile grout (from the usual DIY shed) and sanded flat once dry. The long process of scribing the stone work / bricks can now begin. It is easier to dampen a small area and allow to soak in a little before scribing. The edging stones around the arches are the first to be done and can be seen in the photos below. Since these were taken, a little more scribing has been done. This is not too bad a task, if spread over a few evenings sat in front of the TV (there's not usually much on anyway!...

The roof and vents on the low relief building at the over end of the layout have been added. The roof is corrugated plasticard and the vents have been scratchbuilt from plasticard, as is the down pipe. These have been painted and now ready for painting. Windows still to be done - only temporary windows for the moment. When this has all been finished, the building can then be glued in place and cardboard strips also glued ready for covering in scenic base (polyfilla or similar).

The class 33 started life as the Lima model, but roof modified for later version (the moulded roof being suitable for earlier versions) and additional details added (such as pipe work, wipers, flush-glaze windows etc). It does not run too bad, but could do with a wheel upgrade. However, I'm tempted to wait until Hornby re-issue this class 33 and swap the the chassis over, then fit DCC decoder. My current model has not been converted to DCC yet.

post-7854-12716139443_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127161397172_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127161398561_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127161400039_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi

The bridge has now been carved, painted and glued into position, as can be seen in the photos. The plywood bridge frame was covered in ready-mixed tile grout (not the water proof stuff though) and allowed to dry. After a little sanding, a small area was wetted with water and carved. The water just softens the grout enough to make carving easier. Once the whole bridge, well the visible bits were completed, the stones were dry-brushed using artists acrylics and the colour was gradually built up. A little weathering was started, but this needs a bit more work and will be done when I weather the layout as a whole - this way the weathering can be blended in across the layout to give a more even effect. The arches, being skewed were a bit of a pain, but trial and error with cardboard resulted in something that fits ok, but not perfect. Each cardboard sections was then covered with Scalescenes brick and then glued in with PVA and held in place with selotape. The road form has been started with a strip of cardboard, but will need to be covered with the road surface later, after the scenary at the front has been started. The dark paint shows where the scenary will be formed each side of the bridge.

I still have some work to do on the low-relief building at the other end, but has been lightly weathered with pastel chalks - photos to follow when the windows have been completed. This can then be glued into place.

Next jobs to do - front profile boards, scenary forms along the rear, finish the interior walls on the depot .... and so on ....

post-7854-127238953169_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127238954801_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127238956367_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Richard,

This is looking fine!

Some people tire of Diesel dopt layouts,

but scratchbuilding your main depot building means that you give it a look of individuality.

Nice building - like the concept of the low-relief buildings at the end too.

Spot on with the locos looking nice & weathered & matt, rather than out-of-the-box-glossy-plastic!

Also, you've got a fair bit of track there,

without it looking cramped....but plenty of scope for movements too..

I can see this being a winner...

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Is it possible that you could give details of the substitute coupling fitted to the class 25? Would like to try something similar myself

Hi Tim, thanks for your comments. The coupling is simply a piece of brass wire, bent into a 'U' section, then has the two ends bent upwards and inserted into two holes drilled into the chassis immediately behind the buffer beam. The height off the track is a little trial and error, as is the length protruding in front of the buffer beam.

I've attached a couple of photos, which explain better than I can. Note, I have folded the 'loop' down to get the required height to suit the standard Bachmann couplings.

cheers

post-7854-127247373122_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127247374873_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping to get a bit more completed at the weekend, but I am a slow modeller (certainly compared to your progress!).

I've been building SR concrete lamp huts to go with the Ratio lineside huts, one of each will feature on the layout, firmly placing Orchard Road in the South West!

hi Marc,

One reason for building my own shed was that I wanted something individual. I prefer to scratchbuilt as much as I can (and that will include a few of the smaller details), just because I enjoy doing that and also adds a unique touch. Secondly, there are quite a few Bachmann / Hornby / etc sheds on layouts, and while looking effective, are not the the shape and size I was needing. Finally, in my opinion, a little expensive.

I've still a couple of locos to weather - another class 25 and a class 50 - I have found some photos as a basis for the weathering. I find that you need a couple of decent photos of the real thing to get the weathering to look authentic.

Cheers

• Like 1