Malvern road east

mswjr

Hi Mike84c, Thankyou for the info, I shall look into it, when i have some spare time, The bit on the wall has a threaded bar just like a telegraph pole insulator, but bigger,So what ever it was it screwed on to it,but needed to be under cover, so yes could well be a bell or early speaker of some sort, if i find out ill keep you informed.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

yes Phil, All plasti card, I did try ratio plastic windows at first but the overall length of the box was way out, so i managed to get some etched GWR windows on e bay, and these worked out nice,Has got all the levers in as well, 30 something if i remember right, so it is really heavy.I have found a better picture since and that shows the small chimney on the end going down on the outside of the box, So it is perhaps an outside loo in that corner, But i am leaving it as is.  

Thanks, I am using white metal stools from wizard models, and the rodding is from hobby craft, it is very thin straight wire for florist stuff, only one pound a pkt, Still need a few packs for the amount i have thou, I had to make a jig to hold the stools at the correct distance , Then just lay the wire in to grooves of the stools and super glue them in, a bit easier than doing it on the layout.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 11/04/2019 at 22:17, Mike 84C said:

If you say the siding nearest the wall was a shunting neck. Could that bracket have supported a hooter/bell to give audible shunting signals to the driver? What you need is a sectional appendix which should give the locations of strange things like that.

Layout is looking good.

The siding was the headshunt for St James Station goods depot and was pretty much in constant use, though whether the loco got as far as the signal box is unclear.  A bell or similar would have been very useful to loco crews who could not see far around the right hand curve.

The line to Honeybourne diverged left around a sharp left hand curve as the St James line curved right while Great Western Road separated the two, joining the road left to right across the bridge on the brick abutment between the two girders. I think the angle was greater than that modelled.  The Honeybourne line was cut through the built up part of Cheltenham circa 1905 and houses were demolished to make room, a new smaller property was built on the end of the properties against the cutting.  It was three storey with the road and front door at first floor level  and shaped to fit the plot.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this any use to you but here's a picture I took in 1970 with my first camera. The slide has suffered a bit! This was almost certainly a Sunday diversion but it is interesting to see that the crossover was in use although the tracks to St James weren't1269294194_1970-05-011PeakatMalvernRd.jpg.e098c0e191c1f159f0d8ae3e37e10df0.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

SUPER, First one i have seen of the box in colour, Thou i did see it in the 70s, i never took any pictures, So i will use this for my track colour, Really nice Many Thanks For posting it, Very useful.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Only just found your layout thread. It looks excellent. I hope you survived the point rodding. Assembling it off the layout does sound practical.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 08/04/2019 at 19:30, mswjr said:

I have found out since thou, The wall behind this box was part of the box, If you look at the wall now, you can see some white wash still visible , This was the locker room,I thought the box was set into the wall,As i have built it, This evidence come to light when i almost finished it, so it is staying as is.

Excellent modelling,  well done.  Are you really sure about this? I would have thought unusual to use part of an existing retaining wall for the rear wall of the box.  Also, wouldn't there be evidence where the box was demolished, evidence where the box walls were keyed in? I think the box was separate to the retaining wall.

Thankyou ikcdab, I am getting there slowly, this is the wall today, As you can see it still has white wash on the wall, Lower part this was the locker room, from this point the wall went up vertical, and the roof had a overhang over the wall, I found all this out after I had built my box, So my free standing one is wrong, I do not think it was the original wall, as this was once broad gauge , and was all changed when the honeybourne line was put in alongside, But really hard to get any pictures or info from this location this early,  This wall was covered in ivy when I built my box, and a week later ,when I had finished it the ivy was taken down, I was really happy to see this evidence, But too late.

post-9174-0-26329300-1537556303_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have been doing some more as we have to stay in, I have made the signal's And planted them, I have all the rodding still to do on them and the pulley's , I have also done more to the embankment's to bring them back to life.

IMG_0078.JPG

• Like 3