Bachmann Class 47 Frustrations

cs233

I’ve got a shop weathered and buffer beam detailed (with ploughs) Bachmann 47. Even before I start thinking about couplings the thing can’t take points or corners as the pipe work on the buffer beam sits right against the ploughs and stops the bogies turning. How do people get around this?

• Like 1

On 29/06/2019 at 19:06, Phil Bullock said:

Hi Rob

absolutely.   Fingers usually the only tool needed ....well and a back to back gauge! 

Phil

Strangely , I measured all the back to backs and they were ok .

the metal collars that sit the wheel sets into the plastic bogie frames were off centre so I took them out , and put them back straight . It doesn’t short the points now .

next issue is the guard irons that foul the track at one end then the dodgy sound chip to be replaced with a cheap non sound one 

• RMweb Gold

Cheers rob. Usually have to trim those guard irons back...

Those brass bearings are pesky! Just have to make sure they are all correctly aligned when replacing bogie frames. Good to hear of progress....,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

I’ve got a shop weathered and buffer beam detailed (with ploughs) Bachmann 47. Even before I start thinking about couplings the thing can’t take points or corners as the pipe work on the buffer beam sits right against the ploughs and stops the bogies turning. How do people get around this?

Only solution I have found is to mount the ploughs on the frame. see link below 21st April post, I worked out this solution which relies on very stiff wire and good glue which so far is holding up well pulling 5 Bachmann coaches.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139325-scotrail-198788-workbench/page/3/

Jonathan

Edited by jono26

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, jono26 said:

Only solution I have found is to mount the ploughs on the frame. see link below 21st April post, I worked out this solution which relies on very stiff wire and good glue which so far is holding up well pulling 5 Bachmann coaches.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139325-scotrail-198788-workbench/page/3/

Jonathan

The skylarks always sing in the long summer At Abbotswood junction... no need for snow ploughs 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

The suggested body mounting will get you at least some of the way home, but there is compromise there too; now the ploughs move off the rail when the loco is on well underscale curves, and dependent on how small a radius is used, bogie mounted couplers may still foul on both pipes and ploughs.

Geometry is such a bastard like that, sees everything from its own angle alone.

My compromise - for operation of models of good appearance by body mounting all tackle which was body mounted - is to adopt a minimum radius of 30" - the gauge error of OO buys enough leeway for most of the model's exterior form to be accurate. Small - typically requiring measurement to discover - 'adjustments' such as mounting a piece a millimetre out of position to provide clearance is then employed on a case by case basis.

It's up to the individual to decide what their priorities are, and then live with the consequences.

• Like 2

On 15/07/2019 at 00:38, aureol40012 said:

Can you try gently bending the pipes away form the ploughs?

Can the ploughs be mounted slightly closer to the bogie? Maybe the NEM pocket can be trimmed back to allow this. I suppose it depends if you want a coupling at each end. Many just opt for detail/ploughs at one end and tension lock at the other in which case you'd have to trim the pipes off at that end and do away with the central piece of the ploughs and mount the outer pieces of the ploughs to the bogies.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a strange one. 47444 renumbered to 47631.

just looked the roof and this is happening.....bits have fallen off the fairly thick paint over the fibreglass door simulation on the roof. Very odd.

981E4787-34E6-4CED-8C72-01BD6CCD0F07.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

I'm aware this is going to upset some folk on here, however over the last 2yrs, Bachmann's QC has been somewhat hit and miss.

Out of 8 locos purchased during this period,  I've had to return 7 due to major manufacturing defects.

Rob D2's experience doesn't surprise me sorry to say.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Mistakes
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I'm aware this is going to upset some folk on here, however over the last 2yrs, Bachmann's QC has been somewhat hit and miss.

Out of 8 locos purchased during this period,  I've had to return 7 due to major manufacturing defects.

Yes, I’ve had similar experiences with a couple .

i can’t work out if the above was a/ like it when I brought it ( sure I would have noticed ), b/ been exposed to some chemical c/ been left to bake in the sun.

im normally very careful with these expensive toys....question is do I scrape off the offending panels as it’ll be weathered eventually or leave it and whether over the top and hope it doesn’t crack more .

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Here’s a strange one. 47444 renumbered to 47631.

just looked the roof and this is happening.....bits have fallen off the fairly thick paint over the fibreglass door simulation on the roof. Very odd.

981E4787-34E6-4CED-8C72-01BD6CCD0F07.jpeg

Flippin heck Rob - that's not too good.  I guess Bachmann wont send a replacement as you've renumbered it?  If it were me - I'd attack it with some paint stripper and re do it myself.  There is a lot of cracking in various areas which would perhaps indicate a bonding issue with the under-coat.

I'll have to lend you some Heljan Duffs . . . time to come to the dark side - albeit a bit chubby :-)

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Melly said:

Flippin heck Rob - that's not too good.  I guess Bachmann wont send a replacement as you've renumbered it?  If it were me - I'd attack it with some paint stripper and re do it myself.  There is a lot of cracking in various areas which would perhaps indicate a bonding issue with the under-coat.

I'll have to lend you some Heljan Duffs . . . time to come to the dark side - albeit a bit chubby :-)

I’ve worked out what caused it I think - using proprietary masking tape which I use where I don’t need the precision of Tamiya. I’ll probably scrape those panels clean to undercoat and putting it through weathering first 

• Like 1

The Bachmann   class  47, D1733 in XP64 blue livery, released in 2017 to members of the  Bachmann collectors club,  has been released for public sale from Bachmann stockists .

Edited by Pandora

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I’ve worked out what caused it I think - using proprietary masking tape which I use where I don’t need the precision of Tamiya. I’ll probably scrape those panels clean to undercoat and putting it through weathering first 

What type?  Always use Tamiya myself and plastic bags - for large areas. 

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 21:05, Black 5 Bear said:

Ive had same problems with few new bachman 37 and 47s ...

• Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 21:05, Black 5 Bear said:

Out of 8 locos purchased during this period,  I've had to return 7 due to major manufacturing defects...

And just like that I feel much more content about Bachmann having released nothing new on the traction front that supports my modelling interests over the last three years.

• Friendly/supportive 2