Al's 7mm Modern Image Work Bench

D6775

Although this is my second venture into 7mm scale (the first stalled and was sold on) this is the first time I've done any of the work myself. I thought hard about buying one (or two) Heljan 26's when they were first released but kept talking myself out of it as 'I've no space for 'O' gauge' but when one came up at a reasonable price I figured why not, so here it is!

39206289802_2e9e425843_b.jpgHeljan O Gague 26 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Stripped of its component parts the body has been been given a bath of surgical spirit with some of the more stubborn bits worked off with Precision Paints Superstrip. Now the fun begins. Paring off all the raised detail on the cab doors, bodyside water filler and some of the cab front light brackets.

38358842205_0f55b6bf0d_b.jpgHeljan O Gague 26 Body by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Next job will be filling the tablet catch recess, cab door windows and some of the cab front lights. Then on to the chassis, air tanks have been order from JLTRT, fuel tank will be split from the water tank and the bogies modified to set the springs back.

The biggest question now is livery!! I can't decide between three options, 26024 in rail blue with Lage ED Dogs and DCE flashes, 26025 in Dutch with ED depot plaques or 26037 in RF grey with blue doors on the 2nd mans cab side. Decisions decisions!!

Al.

Edited by D6775
  • Like 5

Not quite sure where from but I seem to have a little modelling mojo from somewhere.

All raised detail that not required has been removes, tablet catcher & door window blanks fitted. Redundant marker lights, tablet catcher recess & door windows filled (will need another fill and rubbing back, probably more than once!). Snow baffle fitted over the horn grill & boiler blanks fitted on the roof.

38364989335_0a08171e24_b.jpgHeljan O Gague 26 Body by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Now, has anyone done this mod before? I keep looking at pictures and the bodyside window frames, I keep thinking they are far too proud on the model and wondering whether to carve them off. On all the pictures I look at the window frames appear pretty much flush with the bodyside. Any suggestions?

Al

Edited by D6775
  • Like 1

Hi Al, done quite a few of these now, you can find them on my pages is a bit of searching! Probably a bit late now, but the door units can be completely removed....they are separate fittings. I find this much easier...a new door is made up from appropriate thickness plasticard. Never noticed the window frames before, I shall have a look. Getting the tablet recesses filled and invisible is an absolute pig of a job. The locos look stunning in Railfreight grey.

Hi Al, done quite a few of these now, you can find them on my pages is a bit of searching! Probably a bit late now, but the door units can be completely removed....they are separate fittings. I find this much easier...a new door is made up from appropriate thickness plasticard. Never noticed the window frames before, I shall have a look. Getting the tablet recesses filled and invisible is an absolute pig of a job. The locos look stunning in Railfreight grey.

It was the yours that have tempted me into it, I did email you about doing it but I think you're rather busy do having a go myself! I've already trawled your FB page of pictures and saved a couple for reference (particularly the under frame!). Didn't realise the doors pop out, I might still be able to get them out to clean up! I suppose the other option with the tablet catcher is to completely cut out the cab side (as per the prototype suffering from tin worm!) and graft a new piece of plasticard in. Will see how it goes.

I do like the look of 037 in ratty RF with blue doors but I think it might be beyond my capabilities so I think I am leaning towards024 in Blue, no cant rail lining and just two colours.

• Like 1

It was the yours that have tempted me into it, I did email you about doing it but I think you're rather busy do having a go myself! I've already trawled your FB page of pictures and saved a couple for reference (particularly the under frame!). Didn't realise the doors pop out, I might still be able to get them out to clean up! I suppose the other option with the tablet catcher is to completely cut out the cab side (as per the prototype suffering from tin worm!) and graft a new piece of plasticard in. Will see how it goes.

I do like the look of 037 in ratty RF with blue doors but I think it might be beyond my capabilities so I think I am leaning towards024 in Blue, no cant rail lining and just two colours.

Ah yes, I remember now :-) Yes sorry, I recently completed 3 26s, have just started another 4, and have more due next year, as well as everything else :-( I too thought about cutting the whole cabside panel out, I guess the new one could then be 'welded' in place and then made good. I will be interested to see the results should you choose that route. Good luck!

Didn't find the piercing saw but a small razor saw has sufficed!

The bogie frames have had the central spring assembly carefully removed then re-fitted around 2.5mm back with the use of a few scraps of square plastic rod.

39351855681_e27967cc46_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 Bogie Frames by endoftheroad, on Flickr

39351855221_2513904982_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 Bogie Frames by endoftheroad, on Flickr

The above picture is not the clearest but the top frame has been modified, the second being as it came off the model. I've done this mod on all of my 4mm 26's as the bogies don't look to have enough depth to me.

Well, I think that's it for today, there may be some more progress tomorrow if  can keep this motivation up!

Al.

Cheers Jeff, anything to keep the motivation up! Think I am pretty much settled on 024 but it will be a little later than your picture with large ED dogs and DCE logo's under the second mans cabside.

Latest progress has been to file back the second fill, mostly happy with this but I have slapped another layer on and I had forgotten to fill the holes for the discs above the marker lights. I have also filed off the bodyside window frames as every prototype picture I look at the windows look to be flush or even slightly recessed, hopefully the following picture makes it clear (one of my Dad's):

26317766490_b96f1183c2_b.jpg26042 Glasgow Central 101289 by Alan Tait, on Flickr

Lastly the latest picture of my 26:

38681767004_c386acfe2f_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 Body by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Al.

• 1 month later...

OK, so I lost my motivation during January! The JLTRT air tanks turned up and I lost patience with them when I first started to take a look at putting them together. Well tonight I have set my self up with some of Lee Edmondson's photographs on the laptop for reference and the Just Like the Real Thing Air Brake tank kit. Now at first glance it looks relatively simple, cut all the bits off the sprues and tidy up any bits of flash, then stick together. Oh no, its not that simple! As I started test fitting all the bits together I found one part of the frame was missing a locating pin and two brackets (circled in red on the instructions below). So out with some bits of plastic 'I' beam & scrap and some new brackets manufactured.

39292351215_80902c7744_b.jpgO Gauge 26 Air Tanks by endoftheroad, on Flickr

And the finished article:

39292350885_e36ced77f2_b.jpgO Gauge 26 Air Tanks by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Next job is some filler/primer on the body then hopefully a first full prime!

Al (Hopefully with a little more motivation!)

Edited by D6775
  • Like 4

Well, first proper coat of primer has now gone on the 26, I've done a few coats of Filler/Primer on the drivers cabside. Fingers crossed the time taken filling/filing/filling/filing etc has been worth while and the holes which have been filled will no longer be visible!

40457993041_9df9a0886b_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 Body Primer by endoftheroad, on Flickr

39562135615_b5700e3b71_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 Body Primer by endoftheroad, on Flickr

I've also been painting the cab interiors but they're not really tidy enough to show!!!!

Lee, how do you go about the door handles? I am sure I have seen a post by you somewhere (here or FB).

Cheers for now.

Al.

• Like 1

A better picture now the sun is shining into the kitchen.

40415417982_d9386b3774_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 Body Primer by endoftheroad, on Flickr

I've now had a good look at this prime and overall I'm very happy with it. Some small blemishes to tidy up before another coat and a little work to do on the cab fronts as the former marker lights are ghosting through. My biggest fear was that the tablet catcher recesses would be visible, but they look ok!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Lee.

Slow progress at the moment as I'm lacking motivation, but the first couple of coats of yellow have gone on this week. A couple of spots that want rubbing back a little (Paints is a bit thick) and another coat should do. I'll probably touch in the cab handrail recesses and the tail lights by hand.

40723210161_76b6371062_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 Body Yellow by endoftheroad, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Still slow progress but I was eventually happy with the yellow and have masked up and started the blue. There have been a few bits where I've had some drips and had to rub back and start again but its nearly there. Another coat or two and it'll be time to take the masking tape off.

40098693925_af0186fea5_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 Body Blue by endoftheroad, on Flickr

40991693301_a1f655199d_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 Body Blue by endoftheroad, on Flickr

• Like 2

Starting to come together now. I decided today that I was as happy as I am going to be with the blue so it was time to take the masking tape off! Considering this is my first proper foray into 7mm and my first full blow loco re-paint I am pretty happy how this has turned out so far. Some bits have bled in places but I should be able to tidy them up without too much bother. Its actually come out better than I expected, it will be pretty filthy when I finally get it finished.

39201371090_779028f9be_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 Body Blue by endoftheroad, on Flickr

40301222404_eee2aaefe4_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 Body Blue by endoftheroad, on Flickr

• Like 2