Al's 7mm Modern Image Work Bench

D6775

On 10/05/2021 at 11:08, Baggies1961 said:

Thanks for that and the kind offer, found it on Invertrain’s site. Being relatively new and inexperienced to kit building is this something a beginner could tackle?

Cheers

Julian.

I don't see why not. The main thing is cleaning up the resin castings so things fit together well. You'll need to cut and file part of the white metal castings off with a razor saw and a file but other than that its not difficult to get decent representation of a wagon not available RTR. I have just been through my build pictures and I've covered most bits so will likely do a write up for the MIOG website in the coming weeks. I've another project I desperately need to finish first though. They are also available direct from Graham, I am tempted to do a few more myself. 

Tested the scrap train on the curves we've laid so far as I was worried it would be a bit tight but they hare fine. Just need some dry weather to lay the rest of the track and wire it all up.

GL24.jpg.c288391480bf9b1950c0a5143cbeaa1c.jpg

I always forget the buffers spin on 156. Needs little bit of work when I get the motivation.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Al, I wouldn't hold your breath for some dry weather. :nono: Have you got a diagram of your outside section just so we can envisage it.... It is coming along nicely though.

Jim

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, jcarta said:

Sorry Al, I wouldn't hold your breath for some dry weather. :nono: Have you got a diagram of your outside section just so we can envisage it.... It is coming along nicely though.

Jim

It won't very exciting Jim, I'll have to get an overall picture. It'll basically be a 'B' shape with two pairs of sidings off the straight back for loading/unloading stock.  But hopefully it will have 4/5 nice vista's for viewing/photography. Its basically all about running trains. Set two up and sit back with a drink of choice watching the world go by!

• Like 2

Not the whole set up yet I'm afraid Jim, but work has commenced on the opposite end of the run with a number of stones planted. One the track is laid and the foreground filled there will be another line of rocks around the inner edge or the curve.

GL25.jpg.2f597fbd60f41a0fdf3e5857d2c62db0.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

This is going to look superb especially when you get some nice plants around the edges.... You will now need to get out in between the showers to get some more done on the extension, no excuses. 

One of you will lay the track ....whilst the other holds the brolly. :D

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, jcarta said:

This is going to look superb especially when you get some nice plants around the edges.... You will now need to get out in between the showers to get some more done on the extension, no excuses. 

One of you will lay the track ....whilst the other holds the brolly. :D

Most of todays work has been in rain and drizzle, there is a pond behind those rocks so we've been filling and packing the bed with soil and placing rocks around it and the back of that curve. Next weekend we'll be getting some Alpines and bits to plant, we're getting there. I have just ordered some more wire for the ring main and been looking at conduit parts. The boss has a weekend away in a couple of week so I am hopeful that Cam & I can get the railway to a point where it can run.

• Like 3

• D6775 changed the title to Al's 7mm Modern Image Work Bench
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, after quite a hiatus in the wagon shops and a distinct lack of motivation I paid a visit to Paul Rolley's Fulchester Fragmentisers on Monday and came away with some more kits for the 'to do' box. A long but excellent day but it has re-ignited my motivation. A couple of things very near to completion and a free weekend ahead lets see what I can achieve. Hopefully I'm on a roll.......

1575366390_IMG_4688(2).jpg.c18790d1f8b3bef330d597dd4dfed310.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Brake discs look good! Where are they from? I’m dabbling in some 3D printed O gauge wagons, and stuff like that is so much more visible than my native N gauge, particularly on some of the JHAs I’ve got planned!

8 hours ago, njee20 said:

Brake discs look good! Where are they from? I’m dabbling in some 3D printed O gauge wagons, and stuff like that is so much more visible than my native N gauge, particularly on some of the JHAs I’ve got planned!

Peartree whells I always order the 3'1" wheels with disc's even if I don't need them as they are handy for the spares box. My spares are all just about to be used up as wheel!!

3 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Hi Al,

VGA kit has arrived chasing up where the wheels you recommended have got to so when I return home from a trip down south to my Mums I will start on it.

I spoke to Malcolm last week as I needed to order some more, he said he was blacking some towards the end of the week so if they've not turned up yet they'll probably appear this week!

Now, the wheels above are not for the wagons below, but are currently being used, the correct wheel should be here this week so the axle boxes are only loosly placed on one side. Todays progress has been 8 chassis for a 'quick' project, Cam already has the bodies in for paint as all bar one are one piece resin. Watch this space! There has been a little more progress on something else too, amazing what can be achieved in a free day! In between working on the Garden tomorrow I may get the hand brakes done then once the correct wheels are here they can go into paint too!

232421214_Chassis1.jpg.6d36f59d997abbcf00bd1d9df6dae4d9.jpg

1166830348_Chassis2.jpg.f8dbe7b6d553d323867d7d56ed14639b.jpg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

What wagons are these Al? Look excellent. Looking for the MOD flats.

Afraid not, they are very simplified HAA chassis. But once the bodies are on you won't see what's missing underneath! Just waiting wheels and replacement buffer heads as they're the wrong size at the moment.

You've got me thinking now, I could maybe do with a couple of Warflats to go with the Hattons Warwells. The only MOD flat's I know of is MM1's Rectank & Warflat. Not cheap but I am sure it is a decent kit to build. I think there was an ABS Warwell at one point but I've no details on that.  

MM1 Rectank

MM1 Warwell

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Had a free day and actually had some motivation to get in the office and crack on with a few things. One wagon which has been dragging its heals is finally built so is now getting paint. The Scotrail BG has been in for some rectification (widows fallen out and a couple of transfers had come off through handling), I wanted to get this done to add to the MK1 rake in the garden. And I have been build some PRMRP PTB6 bogies to go under some of Paul Rolley's wagons, one of which is also nearly ready for paint. 

600149473_ScotrailBG2.jpg.bbc4ca73ffd0c1ccbd63c648465a8a80.jpg

1017929299_FBT6Bogies.jpg.f5021cd0f13a3e947a3713a7938a5e76.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of wagon write ups to come over the weekend all being well, but another loco has now taken its turn on the WB, hopefully a fairly quick job as its sat in its box for the last couple of years till I got to it. Now the garden is up and running I could do with pushing a few more loco's into traffic.

Any guesses?

LLB 37.jpg

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Hippel said:

Two wagon write ups? Looking forward to them!

Paul

Well, Here is the first one. A Signature Kits PHV (ICI) hopper wagon. This has been a while in the workshops but finally got pushed over the finish line this week. Will probably publish the other write up next weekend. 

Write up here: Signature Kits ICI Hopper.

1463123386_PHVComplete1A.jpg.f727ccb227e9ebe0d2567408c1447e91.jpg

62948020_PHVComplete2A.jpg.851a53286416667735c91ab7da89c51f.jpg

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Al, that certainly looks nice, any plans for a few more?

I'd love a set of 8/9 but time & money! I have 5 MK1 kits to finish, 2 DMU's, 7x Coalfish, 10 assorted wagons, up to another 10 Turbots to batter and that's before I even look at the loco fleet, not all for me mind. Though I have a little motivation again so will be working my way through them, some should be fairly quick turn arounds now though. 

• Funny 1

Another little wagon project this week. I have a few plain Bauxite VAA vans which are really out of period for me so I have been thinking about doing one or two of the RfD ones that were few and far between. Inspired by someone else's model this week I stripped one down and have re-painted it, just now waiting transfers. I am not 100% sure on the green but I am sure with a good coat of dirt it should look fine in the MOD train with a couple of Railfreight ones. Now, do I do some in faded Railfreight??

531662907_RfDVAA.jpg.efffdf146343056756867ce524880fd5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, D6775 said:

Another little wagon project this week. I have a few plain Bauxite VAA vans which are really out of period for me so I have been thinking about doing one or two of the RfD ones that were few and far between. Inspired by someone else's model this week I stripped one down and have re-painted it, just now waiting transfers. I am not 100% sure on the green but I am sure with a good coat of dirt it should look fine in the MOD train with a couple of Railfreight ones. Now, do I do some in faded Railfreight??

531662907_RfDVAA.jpg.efffdf146343056756867ce524880fd5.jpg

my understanding is as an RFD one, it should be grey. Green and yellow ones were internal user ones on MOD sites. I and led to believe 

5 hours ago, 47606odin said:

my understanding is as an RFD one, it should be grey. Green and yellow ones were internal user ones on MOD sites. I and led to believe 

Like I say, I am not convinced at all either way, finding decent pictures of any of the RfD Van's is proving somewhat difficult.  This is about the best I could find which although doesn't still have the RfD log and is very very faded still has the Currock logo leading me to believe it wasn't (initially at least) an internal user wagon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/6988312937/in/album-72157629234443272/

I may have to see what other paint I have and re-visit it. 

• Like 1