Al's 7mm Modern Image Work Bench

D6775

Next through the wagons shops is a Skytrex TTA. Now just waiting buffers which should be here next week which will also prompt progress on a couple of other wagons too.

1367034820_SkytrexTTA.jpg.714504ecd8cec53ec2e33cbb856632f6.jpg

Also on the WB this week is the tunnel mouth for Cam's new layout. We're actually progressing this one rather well as its jumped the queue in front on my High St layout.

IMG_5534.jpg.c9d483a6e6a99d0ff269c165232cba16.jpg

• Like 9

Painting finished on the tunnel mouth for now. This will be getting placed tomorrow tomorrow and I'll start doing some more work on the bridge which goes in front of it. It will likely get more dirt and some greenery as the layout grows.

1366856049_IMG_5542(2).jpg.b60608ed21f5dd9b1678712e340a0794.jpg

Edited by D6775
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Peter, this one has had Slaters 3'1" wheels fitted as they came to me with the kit. I would normally use Peartree wheels though. Thing to watch is the axle boxes, I had to drill them right out and rebate the face to get the bearings in far enough that the wheels turned freely. I actually went all the way through and re-filled the axle box covers. The kit comes with Buffer Housings but to me they look too big, they also normally come with drawing pins for the buffer heads and no springing. For me the drawing pins are oversize, 12-13mm which equates roughly to a 20" Oleo, I have used the former NMRS FO53 Modern Oleo buffers with 10mm heads which is nearer and 18" head. They're now available from GJH Plant but Graham has also change the casting to resin which is easier to work with than the old whitemetal ones. 

613340348_NMRSFO53.jpg.fe663eee47af10e65a39cc17dcc44617.jpg

More progress this week on the wagon front has seen two ZCA's (SeaHare's) came into my workshop with damaged buffers having them replaced with NMRS ones from GJH Plant, along with further progress on a second of Skog Works Shark vans. ZCA's will go back to Cam this week to be pushed into service and hopefully more work on the shark and scenic's for his layout. 

869118792_ZCASeahare.jpg.3c7506452bcf9e0f462e9588d798cd2f.jpg

2019788429_SkogSharkZUA.jpg.4fa00d1571bdb1509d8d3ac842293d2b.jpg

• Like 2

Afraid not Julian. It was just a quick thrown together build to try and get my motivation back so I didn't take any progress pictures. I know Cam wants at least one more so I'll try and remember to do a bit of a write up if another one comes my way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, D6775 said:

Afraid not Julian. It was just a quick thrown together build to try and get my motivation back so I didn't take any progress pictures. I know Cam wants at least one more so I'll try and remember to do a bit of a write up if another one comes my way.

Cheers Al,

Will be a while me thinks as it made to order on the site plus in my weary state I ordered a PCA and not a TTA so have tried to amend the order.

I keep toying with some PCA's but got a load of other stuff needs finishing first!

Next up is a ZKA Limpet, again a part built job needing buffers replacing and paint. I'll probably hand paint this as many were in a terrible state. Now do we go Dutch or everyone's favourite LoadHaul? 

232615013_Limpet1.jpg.d0d1291cf8c1655678a252edf438c92f.jpg

378202787_Limpet2.jpg.10730e34cb7f0d8ffcbdf0494f65eb4e.jpg

• Like 2

On 31/10/2021 at 02:15, D6775 said:

Peter, this one has had Slaters 3'1" wheels fitted as they came to me with the kit. I would normally use Peartree wheels though. Thing to watch is the axle boxes, I had to drill them right out and rebate the face to get the bearings in far enough that the wheels turned freely. I actually went all the way through and re-filled the axle box covers. The kit comes with Buffer Housings but to me they look too big, they also normally come with drawing pins for the buffer heads and no springing. For me the drawing pins are oversize, 12-13mm which equates roughly to a 20" Oleo, I have used the former NMRS FO53 Modern Oleo buffers with 10mm heads which is nearer and 18" head. They're now available from GJH Plant but Graham has also change the casting to resin which is easier to work with than the old whitemetal ones. 

613340348_NMRSFO53.jpg.fe663eee47af10e65a39cc17dcc44617.jpg

More progress this week on the wagon front has seen two ZCA's (SeaHare's) came into my workshop with damaged buffers having them replaced with NMRS ones from GJH Plant, along with further progress on a second of Skog Works Shark vans. ZCA's will go back to Cam this week to be pushed into service and hopefully more work on the shark and scenic's for his layout. 

869118792_ZCASeahare.jpg.3c7506452bcf9e0f462e9588d798cd2f.jpg

2019788429_SkogSharkZUA.jpg.4fa00d1571bdb1509d8d3ac842293d2b.jpg

Thanks Al,

A useful tip re fitting the wheels. I will look into getting some of those buffers and wheels, I didn't notice any buffer housings when  i opened up the kit but I am happy to get the ones you suggest as they look spot on.

Cheers Peter. 

53 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

Hi Al,

Unexpectedly but nevertheless most welcome, my TTA is on its way.

Please can you remind me who’s wheels, couplings &  buffers  you recommend, many thanks.

Kind regards

Julian.

couplings are instanters, so I have gone with Dapol

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Hi Al,

Unexpectedly but nevertheless most welcome, my TTA is on its way.

Please can you remind me who’s wheels, couplings &  buffers  you recommend, many thanks.

Kind regards

Julian.

I tend to use Peartree 3'1" disc wheels, but this had Slaters ones fitted as thats what I was given. Buffers from the ex NMRS range (FO53 with 10mm head) now available from Graham of GJH Plant and as Ian has said above, Dapol Instanters. Any problems give me a shout and I'll help where I can.

• Thanks 1

On 02/11/2021 at 19:32, D6775 said:

I tend to use Peartree 3'1" disc wheels, but this had Slaters ones fitted as thats what I was given. Buffers from the ex NMRS range (FO53 with 10mm head) now available from Graham of GJH Plant and as Ian has said above, Dapol Instanters. Any problems give me a shout and I'll help where I can.

Thanks Al, all advised parts sourced and delivered, many thanks for that. Hunting down Dapol instanters proved more of a challenge but I got some.

Some more shots of your TTA would be welcome. I like you had a job getting the wheels to turn freely.

I want my in green and have got some Ford Modena Green spray , is that a good match? Can anyone advise?

Julian. I have seen you email, but not had chance to reply yet. I didn't write much down or take many pictures as I did it but I've dug the instructions out so will try and give you some pointers.

In terms of getting the wheels running freely, If I remember right I drilled out the axle boxes with a 2.5mm bits (but check your bearings) then opened the back of the suspension units out with a 4mm bit so that the rim of the bearing sits flush with the whitemetal unit. They should all be marked 1, 2, 3, 4 on the backs, I missed this first time round but they are all handed, once you have the bearings fitted keep testing in the chassis until you're happy. Before fitting the suspension units add the brakes, these have two pins which slot into the holes on the back of the suspension units.

I then worked on opposite corners first fitting the suspension units for positions 2 & 3 and building up the handbrake mechanisms BEFORE finally fitting the opposite axle box and wheel sets. Hopefully you should now have a nicely running chassis. There are four small ladder sections, you only need two, the ones with different length legs. 

As for the tank, mine had a fair bit of flash on the base which needs cleaning off so it sits nicely on the chassis. I then glued this on to the chassis before progressing to the walkways and ladders. I glued the tank hatch an the walkway that runs around it to the top of the tank as per the instructions, then looked at the rest of it.  The way I did this was to glue the single walkway, end platform and hand rail together away from the wagon then when set. Lastly I gently bent the ladders ever so lightly to fit and attached them one at a time.

Afraid I don't know on the green, Cam is painting this one and it'll be grey. Hopefully that is of some help, I'll try and get some more pictures this week when we have our working party as its not here!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, D6775 said:

Julian. I have seen you email, but not had chance to reply yet. I didn't write much down or take many pictures as I did it but I've dug the instructions out so will try and give you some pointers.

In terms of getting the wheels running freely, If I remember right I drilled out the axle boxes with a 2.5mm bits (but check your bearings) then opened the back of the suspension units out with a 4mm bit so that the rim of the bearing sits flush with the whitemetal unit. They should all be marked 1, 2, 3, 4 on the backs, I missed this first time round but they are all handed, once you have the bearings fitted keep testing in the chassis until you're happy. Before fitting the suspension units add the brakes, these have two pins which slot into the holes on the back of the suspension units.

I then worked on opposite corners first fitting the suspension units for positions 2 & 3 and building up the handbrake mechanisms BEFORE finally fitting the opposite axle box and wheel sets. Hopefully you should now have a nicely running chassis. There are four small ladder sections, you only need two, the ones with different length legs. 

As for the tank, mine had a fair bit of flash on the base which needs cleaning off so it sits nicely on the chassis. I then glued this on to the chassis before progressing to the walkways and ladders. I glued the tank hatch an the walkway that runs around it to the top of the tank as per the instructions, then looked at the rest of it.  The way I did this was to glue the single walkway, end platform and hand rail together away from the wagon then when set. Lastly I gently bent the ladders ever so lightly to fit and attached them one at a time.

Afraid I don't know on the green, Cam is painting this one and it'll be grey. Hopefully that is of some help, I'll try and get some more pictures this week when we have our working party as its not here!

Thanks Al great help much appreciated.

Regards

Julian.

10 hours ago, Fingersfred66 said:

Hi Al, sorry to ask even more questions, I have recently built 3 of these TTA wagons as my first steps into O gauge and I am stuck on what colour grey they are painted. Could you possibly shed some light on this for me.

Regards

Tony.

No probs Tony. I'm not actually painting it. All depends which version you are paint it in. Given how dirty they got I would probably go for something fairly light and dirty it up when weathering. Shold be OK as long as you don't go too dark to start with. 

3 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Thanks Al great help much appreciated.

Regards

Julian.

No probs, hopefully it helped.

With all this reference to kit built TTA wagons, you must have known that Dapol would announce ready -to-run models of the 45t GLW wagons? 

And as Al has been building a Shark, I've not got long to wait before an RTR Shark comes along!

Paul.

I do believe the lack of my paint shop has been holding a few bits up for Al, So I’ve managed to grab an hour with some paint tonight to get a few bits hopefully over the line. 

His Coal Sector 26 & Orange SPT 101 have both had a fresh coat of orange on them. 

81E8C131-4D20-4098-B7A9-E2FC53E12C31.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

On 09/11/2021 at 21:42, Hippel said:

With all this reference to kit built TTA wagons, you must have known that Dapol would announce ready -to-run models of the 45t GLW wagons? 

And as Al has been building a Shark, I've not got long to wait before an RTR Shark comes along!

Paul.

What would you like me to build next? I am sure there will be something else that's part way through the WB that is in someone's sights, I actually need to consolidate the projects and get a few things finished!

On 11/11/2021 at 19:56, Hippel said:

Hi Al, a Shark would suit me fine, thanks.

Paul.

(p.s. you might know me better as PT2).

Nice to hear from you PT2. Hope retirement is treating you well? You'll have to put a date in your diary for our exhibition in Crewe 26/27 March next year. All post BR Modernisation Diesel & Electric layouts and traders. 

On 11/11/2021 at 17:53, Backtor said:

I do believe the lack of my paint shop has been holding a few bits up for Al, So I’ve managed to grab an hour with some paint tonight to get a few bits hopefully over the line. 

His Coal Sector 26 & Orange SPT 101 have both had a fresh coat of orange on them. 

81E8C131-4D20-4098-B7A9-E2FC53E12C31.jpeg

Now theres a unit I would love a regional railways 101 set, is it an easy build kit Cam?