Al's 7mm Modern Image Work Bench

D6775

Hi. I am impressed with your work on the Heljan O gauge diesels and wondered if you could help with a query. I have a class 25/3 with a strange fault. One of the wires from a pickup isn't making a circuit and after a lot of checking it seems the wire must be broken near to where it it fastens to the pickups. It's easy enough to sort but I'm having problems removing the bogie sides. They obviously pull off but are prevented from doing this by the end brackets but I cant suss out how this separates. Whereas with the class 37 which simply pull off the Class 25 it's more complex and I'm worried about causing damage if I carry on. Any ideas??

20 hours ago, chris coates said:

Hi. I am impressed with your work on the Heljan O gauge diesels and wondered if you could help with a query. I have a class 25/3 with a strange fault. One of the wires from a pickup isn't making a circuit and after a lot of checking it seems the wire must be broken near to where it it fastens to the pickups. It's easy enough to sort but I'm having problems removing the bogie sides. They obviously pull off but are prevented from doing this by the end brackets but I cant suss out how this separates. Whereas with the class 37 which simply pull off the Class 25 it's more complex and I'm worried about causing damage if I carry on. Any ideas??

I don’t have a 25/3 but I can take a look at one tomorrow night. I suspect it is the same as all the other Heljan locos. Sideframes pushed on to pins on the sides of the motor bogie and the end beams of the bogie frame. They are usually just a push fit but might be a bit tight. I just ease them off with a small flat screw driver. 

Thanks. I've Just had another look at the Class 25 but I can't see any obvious place where the ends part. There is a slight gap but, even with my smallest screwdriver, it wasn't for moving. Don't want to put too much pressure on as it will inevitable snap. The main pins are separating no problem but the ends are acting like they are glued!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Did you manage to have a look at a class 25 as mentioned? I've had another try the other night but, although the main side pins are loose, there's no budging the ends. Don't really know what I can do and fear I will end up breaking something.  Any suggestions other than trying Heljan direct who, if previous experience is anything to go by, don't seem to reply. Might anyone else have dismantled a class 25 bogie frame?

23 hours ago, chris coates said:

Hi. Did you manage to have a look at a class 25 as mentioned? I've had another try the other night but, although the main side pins are loose, there's no budging the ends. Don't really know what I can do and fear I will end up breaking something.  Any suggestions other than trying Heljan direct who, if previous experience is anything to go by, don't seem to reply. Might anyone else have dismantled a class 25 bogie frame?

I did manage to have a good look at a 25 last week but I forgot to post sorry. Its the same set up as pretty much all the Heljan O Gauge loco's. The side frames push on to the pins on the side of the bogies but they're also attached to stretcher bars which represent the ends of the bogie frames. Below are pictures of a set of frames off a class 33, I have highlighted where the joins on the stretcher bars are on the second photo, these are very similar to the 25. They *should just pull apart but could be quite tight.

IMG_2190.jpg.f0aa4d90aab1264d1ac8d2a4a8daf5ca.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg.3dd5185bca6c315ffebb421eef315a21.jpg

Hope this helps.

Al.

OK. Really good explanation and I've successfully removed the end stretcher. Unfortunately one end came away but broke the brake shoe section off. The other end eventually also parted but both pins sheared. Not sure if it hadn't been off before and glued. Anyway, I can sort all this out now. FYI, the problem with the bogie was an extremely unlikely one in that the  wire had become detached where it was soldered to the tab...the one that screws to the bogie side for the pickups. Easy sorted now.

Many thanks for your assistance Al

• 3 weeks later...

No problem Chris, the brake shoes are always falling off mine, I just dab a tiny bit of super glue on them. Also I am sure I have drilled and replaced pins on at least one of my 26 bogies!

Not a lot going on here at the moment, its all been about getting the layout ready for November, however a few bits are coming together. The supermarket for Russel Street in place, this is what has been taking what little modelling time I have had lately, and all my motivation!

IMG_2242.JPG.b449d25de17b805a4214080845239450.JPG

Cam has got transfers on the ScotRail BG, this is a Heljan BG repainted with the periscopes and ends steps removed, Easybuild B4 bogies & slaters drophead buckeyes. I'll probably add an air break pipe and some eth gear at some point.

IMG_2289.JPG.ecac18001090a2826b258f29472cb5ad.JPG

While we were sorting stock out for the exhibition this week Cam came across this TOPE with an identity crisis and in a bad way (the body isn't even attached in the first picture). We're not sure of its origins, some suggest it could be GJH plant but the body is quite thin for resin and half the bits don't appear to be there (handrails/end bracing etc) but we'll see what I can make of it! Its already had its CATFISH identity removed and the body re-set on the chassis, I think its looking better already. NOw need to manufacture some brackets and handrails and find some new data panels.

IMG_2298.jpg.e55a6d95c8b604c764b71180e7d8c471.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg.72c6128d1a19d14b7c179296dc2576b5.jpg

Hopefully there may be another update over the weekend.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 01/12/2019 at 08:01, bcnPete said:

Only just found this thread - lovely work on the fleet.

Have you got any more pics of the layout?

Looks fab especially the BR blue stuff :yes: :good:

Thank you, layout thread is here Pete: Russel Street

Not a lot going on at the moment but two full write ups of projects have gone on the MIOG website:

Heljan AIr Braked 26

MM1 Snowploughs

Lots more to come and hopefully some proper progress reports in the coming weeks.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I've not posted in here much lately, I am somewhat struggling with motivation at the moment, with everything going on in the world work is going nuts, but weirdly not in a busy way! Although I usually work from home a number of days per week I am now WFH UFN which means I've no reason bar sustenance to venture far from home.

I've been making a little progress on some Easybuild MK1's and will hopefully make some more progress over the next few days, today some more Engineering brick paint arrived so I've cracked on some arches for our new layout and some of the other walls. It also shouldn't be too long before I have the next building for the layout which I am looking forward too, I will post more on that when it is in my greasy mits, but what I have seen of it I am looking forward to getting it built.

I finished a BUZZ Models MEA kit a short while back, the full write up can be seen on the MIOG website here: http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/buzz-models-mea.html

79413961_9MEABuildComplete.jpg.25f56c28c5ebad21a67f2f880a6e9c98.jpg

Lastly I was going to keep these under wraps until I had finished them but posting them might just give me the kick I need! I have been building and doing a write up for two of Paul Rolley scrap wagon kits, the POA Blackadder and JNA GERS, they're t a point where I am painting the yellow raves and should be able to mask and spray some black towards the end of the week, transfers are sat here ready so you never know I might have the POA done and the JNA body ready over the weekend. JNA bogies still need building but I am waiting a mate of mine to drill out the bolsters. Full write ups and a selection of photo's will follow once they're done.

IMG_2847.jpg.871f633eb9bfb3fdc06f06789b665213.jpg

That's all for now.

Al.

• Like 3

I have had an hour this evening after work and wanted something fairly simple to throw together. In the stash I've got a second Buzz models IWA that I had prepped some time ago but not done anything further with. So I've taken a different tact to the last one I built and put the basic body together first, tomorrow I'll start adding the brass bits.

IMG_2879.jpg.7cda776064bd1382b662ea3096c2e074.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very little progress at the moment, however as the POA Blackadder is done & today the write up for it has gone live on the MIOG website. The JNA is nearly there, I've just got to finish the bogies. Paul has some of the Blackadders in stock if anyone is interested, there are a few extras coming my way now, I might as well use the transfers!!!

http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/impressionist-models-poa-blacckadder.html

1492704058_11POAComplete.jpg.b0af09a2044d24d420e46031e40ea92b.jpg

• Like 1

This afternoon's been spent on bogies, JNA bogies are now complete, just need a clean up and paint now. Second bogie is for the IWA, mix of brass and white metal brake shoes. The third is one of the last Easybuild Commonwealth bogies for my MK1 rake.

Bogies1.jpg.a4424278ef850c019481096e21c595d5.jpg

I did the IWA bogies slightly differently this time fitting the brake shoes before building the rest of the bogie. These now run nice and freely, they will get the cosmetic fronts fitted tomorrow then just a few bits on the body to do and that'll be my second IWA ready for paint. Cam will be busy painting once the current fiasco is over with!

Bogies2.jpg.efb0b5c7148e2f7a3bfa19ac9115b756.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very little progress at the moment, the JNA is finished and I have made a start on the PXA and Railease POA/SSA. I'll post more on the JNA when it goes live on our website, but here is the current position on the PXA and POA/SSA. Note, the PXA is sat on accommodation bogies!

2135487698_PXAAccomodationbogies.jpg.4efb64e8814e9d13c9df88525d2d777b.jpg

131156141_6POASSAWheelsDryFit.jpg.ef843c471875c6877d7cdfd753d29e0e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Again, very little progress at the moment, motivation seems to be somewhat low even though I have plenty of time on my hands. Still waiting on red oxide paint so the pub is STILL on hold.

This has been sat on the WB for some time waiting paint, but now its getting somewhere.

1000842782_NPSBurgerVan(2).jpg.21aba26eba2ab068079be032afcc4319.jpg

• Like 5

Another little update of something that's been on the WB for some time. A lack of available parts consigned it to the bottom of the pile, but now I have been able to source a few bits work has recommenced. Radio pod's have had new mountings made and fitted to the roof and a first coat of primer proper. I had been unsure if I could get away with just adding the additional grills for a 26/0 to the cant rail and keeping the rest as the original Heljan ones, this first proper coat of primer proved that it just wasn't to be. So out with the Dremel, a couple of sharp blades and some wet and dry they have now been removed. These will get replaced with some etched brass ones in the next few days, the body is now sat with the cant rails covered in filler to be sanded back tomorrow. Thankfully these Sulzer type 2's were pretty rotten towards the ends of their lives so a few imperfections here and there won't go a miss!!

26005.jpg.0c109c38a6ca153d0ff8bdcfbefb88c9.jpg

26005a.jpg.300591424cb64279b127c1fc3f3c365d.jpg

26005b.jpg.5a227eb89a60676031c03d69c9d6dca9.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jcarta said:

Now this looks an exciting project so I will watch as you go forward ..

Jim

Thanks Jim, will hopefully be more progress in the coming days/weeks. Hope to get the body done by the end of this weekend so I can drop it off for paint next week when I go to do the by-weekly shop. My painter has confirmed he has the right colours. Fair bit to do on the chassis too so while he's got the body I will be cracking on under the sole bar!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I finished the JNA wagon the other week so here is the full write up if anyone is interested: http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/impressionist-models-jna.html

1472421419_19JNAComplete.jpg.161d8a102f56d26901496e6c0257ff34.jpg

Edited by D6775
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, D6775 said:

Thanks Jim, will hopefully be more progress in the coming days/weeks. Hope to get the body done by the end of this weekend so I can drop it off for paint next week when I go to do the by-weekly shop. My painter has confirmed he has the right colours. Fair bit to do on the chassis too so while he's got the body I will be cracking on under the sole bar!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I finished the JNA wagon the other week so here is the full write up if anyone is interested: http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/impressionist-models-jna.html

Al

Love the wagon and a great comprehensive guide to go with the build.... Well done

Jim

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Al

Love the wagon and a great comprehensive guide to go with the build.... Well done

Jim

Thanks Jim, in total I have five of Paul's wagons slowly working through the shops, each is getting similar treatment. The guides are also to act as a form of instructions. I am in no way a pro modeller but if my guide help anyone then they're a worth while exercise. JNA and POA Blackadder are done, the Railease POA/SSA & PXA are both nearly ready for paint as can be seen above but the last one, a JRA-H is some way behind, the casting is nowhere near as good as Paul's other wagons so is taking some time to tidy up, but out of a sow's ear and all that!

The class 26/0 looks an interesting project, I will be looking to see how you do the underframe tanks as I need to do them on my 26/1.

Cheers Peter.

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Have you checked page 1?

Ok I thought as the JLTRT now MM1 aren't available you might be doing it from  scratch. 

Cheers Peter.

4 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Ok I thought as the JLTRT now MM1 aren't available you might be doing it from  scratch. 

Cheers Peter.

Peter, the full write up for that one is here: http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/Heljan-air-class-26.html

As you say the JLTRT/MM1 tanks are no longer available, I have had numerous discussions with Laurie over doing a run that I was prepared to bank roll, but the cost of the lost brass parts were astronomical, the kits were going to come out over £50 so it just wasn't viable. I unfortunately don't have another set for this one but I have picked up a couple of Steve Beatties tanks. They're just a resin set of tanks and the frame work so will need to have all the pipework added but should be able to create something. They do need a bit of tidying up though. Steve is shutting up shop later in the year and they show as out of stock on his website but might be worth dropping him a mail. I'll be sure to post how I get on, now the body is done I will be turning to the underframe!

https://www.sbtdevelopments.com/product-page/class-26-27-air-tanks

These are the tanks:

1708349227_SteveBeattieTanks.jpg.d7fc2d4a418008d36c6d9bedc243758a.jpg

Anyway, 26005 has had the grills replaced, I am not sure where these came from but I think they are either JLTRT or PRMRP/MMP. The original plan was to just fit the additional ones for a 26/0 and keep the rest for potential future projects, however it just didn't look right with different grills. I think this looks much better.

26005c.jpg.cc5b4033b7917facee993563c22b84e4.jpg

26005d.jpg.c0f144d4065e562aa8c10a48b56a2efd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1