Cullerbay, Marden Road - BR(NE) early 60's

Toftwood

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Toftwood said:

How do you insert photos then write underneath like you used to??

As far as I can see, the photo goes in where the cursor is when you click the + button in the upload area. 

I tend to write the text using a word e.g. ‘bridge’ that describes the photo so that I have all the text in place. Then I upload the photos, then I position the cursor in/by the ‘word’ press + then delete the bits of the word.

I think it might be possible to use <right arrow> to get the cursor to move past the photo if using a keyboard.

Paul.

3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

As far as I can see, the photo goes in where the cursor is when you click the + button in the upload area. 

I tend to write the text using a word e.g. ‘bridge’ that describes the photo so that I have all the text in place. Then I upload the photos, then I position the cursor in/by the ‘word’ press + then delete the bits of the word.

I think it might be possible to use <right arrow> to get the cursor to move past the photo if using a keyboard.

Paul.

Thanks I will try that. I much preferred the previous way of doing things......

Pete

• Friendly/supportive 1

Excellent stuff. Just stumbled across this, can't believe I haven't spotted it before! I love the plan and the overall concept, so I look forward to following updates as the project progresses. You are definitely making the most of the space available. Mind, you are right about the effect that laying some track can have, it quickly starts to transform a layout beyond the embryonic 'bare board' stage - I hope it inspires you to crack on. Similarly, further down the line, just adding a little bit of greenery can very quickly bring a layout to life.

Keep up the good work! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Excellent stuff. Just stumbled across this, can't believe I haven't spotted it before! I love the plan and the overall concept, so I look forward to following updates as the project progresses. You are definitely making the most of the space available. Mind, you are right about the effect that laying some track can have, it quickly starts to transform a layout beyond the embryonic 'bare board' stage - I hope it inspires you to crack on. Similarly, further down the line, just adding a little bit of greenery can very quickly bring a layout to life.

Keep up the good work! 

Hi, thank you, its probably because I don't post on here very often as progress is quite slow. I have lots of other things to do that occupy my time so when something happens I try and post a little. Its taking time also as I want to 'do it right' and not rush. IMG_1596.jpg.50fc9d2108aca1d860d06dd885b6c143.jpgIMG_1597.jpg.8464c641a52d3bd5cfeda66175326160.jpg

I have started to weather the seven 16T minerals that I have as an experiment before tackling the 30 21T hoppers that are waiting in the wings. I will post some photos when they are finished.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Toftwood said:

thank you, its probably because I don't post on here very often as progress is quite slow. I have lots of other things to do that occupy my time so when something happens I try and post a little. Its taking time also as I want to 'do it right' and not rush

I think that is the best approach. Progress is still progress, however steady and as long as things are moving in the right direction than that is the key thing. I also have a number of other interests and progress on my modelling projects can only be described as glacial as a result! But I often feel there is no need to rush, it's a real cliché but the best things in life are often about the journey rather than the destination. I will follow your updates, however sporadic, with interest. 

As a complete aside, I see from a few references in your posts that you are based in sunny Suffolk! Ah the promised land...... so why you feel compelled to model the frozen north I do not know! :mosking:

Look forward to seeing the results from your weathering. Nothing screams 'the North East' more than a rake of grubby 21t hoppers behind a Q6 or class 37. 

Keep up the good work! :good_mini:

• Like 1

On 10 July 2019 at 07:06, south_tyne said:

I think that is the best approach. Progress is still progress, however steady and as long as things are moving in the right direction than that is the key thing. I also have a number of other interests and progress on my modelling projects can only be described as glacial as a result! But I often feel there is no need to rush, it's a real cliché but the best things in life are often about the journey rather than the destination. I will follow your updates, however sporadic, with interest. 

As a complete aside, I see from a few references in your posts that you are based in sunny Suffolk! Ah the promised land...... so why you feel compelled to model the frozen north I do not know! :mosking:

Look forward to seeing the results from your weathering. Nothing screams 'the North East' more than a rake of grubby 21t hoppers behind a Q6 or class 37. 

Keep up the good work! :good_mini:

:laugh_mini: I like many on here hail from the surrounds of Tyneside/Teesside, being grudgingly dragged as a 6 or 7 yr old by an older brother, up to Newcastle Central to trainspot, cabbing black fire breathing monsters expecting them any minute to propel me away wherever, being frightened Sh!tless seeing my first Deltic, the noise! Wonderful! Happy memories.  I only saw the very end of steam though so grew up with diesels. Saw all the Deltics though missed their final days as was serving abroad in the RAF when they went. But then grew an affection for the HSTs and 91s which are now in their final years.

So after many different postings around mainly Europe and the UK I ended up in Suffolk but I still get my fix for the moment as I work on RAF Lakenheath with the GIs.

So to answer you're question, I wished to model somewhere I could combine Gresley's finest with as you say Q6s (I have a pair) and J27s (I have a pair on order) with rakes of 21T Hoppers, based loosely between Tynemouth and Blyth, ish if you close you're eyes etc etc :smoke:All within the constraints of 9' X 9'.

Pete

Edited by Toftwood
grammar
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Toftwood said:

:laugh_mini: I like many on here hail from the surrounds of Tyneside/Teesside, being grudgingly dragged as a 6 or 7 yr old by an older brother, up to Newcastle Central to trainspot, cabbing black fire breathing monsters expecting them any minute to propel me away wherever, being frightened Sh!tless seeing my first Deltic, the noise! Wonderful! Happy memories.  I only saw the very end of steam though so grew up with diesels. Saw all the Deltics though missed their final days as was serving abroad in the RAF when they went. But then grew an affection for the HSTs and 91s which are now in their final years.

So after many different postings around mainly Europe and the UK I ended up in Suffolk but I still get my fix for the moment as I work on RAF Lakenheath with the GIs.

So to answer you're question, I wished to model somewhere I could combine Gresley's finest with as you say Q6s (I have a pair) and J27s (I have a pair on order) with rakes of 21T Hoppers, based loosely between Tynemouth and Blyth, ish if you close you're eyes etc etc :smoke:All within the constraints of 9' X 9'.

Pete

Pete,

Interesting memories there.....

The rose-tinted glow of nostalgia! :mosking: I am from Tyneside but most of my family is in Norfolk and Suffolk! I had a spell living and working down in Ipswich, which I loved. I am very fond of your part of the world, having spent many happy times staying with family in Beck Row, within sight of RAF Mildenhall! :) So I'm sat in the North East pining for East Anglia! :laugh_mini:

Anyway, enough of my waffle and back to railways...... I really look forward to seeing what you do. 

Thanks for sharing,

David 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I have been spending an evening or two experimenting with weathering some Bachmann 16T mineral wagons.  They are a darker grey than they should be but i did not want to spoil the lettering and numbering so just roughly followed several weathering guides and had a go. I did the insides first mixing small amounts of Humbrol matt 113, 133 and 82 and with rough broad strokes ended up with this. IMG_1621.JPG.32eecd9c3096d7c579a1e7036bacf60e.JPG I then gave all a wash of MIG Dk Wash swiped off with cotton buds to get this effect and let the whole lot dry over night. IMG_1622.JPG.95b5e4d1012a675d5fd459dd8365f578.JPG To go further with the rusting I again mixed various parts of Matt 113 and 133 with a touch of 53 (gunmetal) and attacked the outsides in various ways using cotton buds and brush strokes to effect. They are not finished yet, I have to do the chassis and running gear plus maybe some further detailing but not bad for a first attempt. IMG_1623.JPG.b684cbbd2805fd267f6280aec1acb76b.JPGIMG_1624.JPG.a65c6ec486364712c0361b89035496d0.JPGIMG_1626.JPG.0a29b8ea22e4d118447cfd29eb2fc5af.JPG

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

A brief update on the very slow progress on Cullerbay.

'Bridging the Gap'  occupied most of my morning in the shed.  I have laid a bit more track IMG_1627.jpg.0aae0f3e6b71dc120ced880713978b55.jpgbut I wanted to solve the problem of producing a bridging piece which is also on a curve and a downgrade. 

So, after much ummmming and aaaahing  I managed to fit a bridging piece in. I tidied up the ends so that the other two bridging boards can be fitted. It seems that the 3.2mb of the previous post is too big for the 10mb limit???

so I can't post anymore photos at the moment.  Bring back the old RMweb.

• 1 month later...

So it is nearly 2 months since I last attempted to post a further update to the layout.  I sussed the problem with the size of the photos (Ihope), instead of transferring the pics via cable from the phone, I have emailed each pic to myself because  you can choose the size of file being sent. So instead of transferring a 1.2mb file we now get lots of smaller kb files.....(I think !)

Anyway I managed to scrounge a couple of hours in the shed over the weekend and have now figured out a way to 'Bridge the Gap' This gap has three levels crossing it which each must allow clearance for a train.

IMG_1935.JPG.670b2cc1e7452933f506c053e2e8da89.JPG

SO you can see the gap between the small pot on the right and the upright pen has to clear where the coaches are whilst butting up to the join at the pen, and giving enough clearance for trains on the central raised ramp to the upper level.

IMG_1936.JPG.a069b8122fa10e113793dc51d4e27831.JPG

Something like this... So we will have a single track running either side, going away to the left, coming towards on the right. Double track to the upper level in the middle.

IMG_1940.JPG.480d03a6a0f91e412fedf20b558a8f54.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG.26f0b74858bbad6827a8fe15952e380a.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG.1a8e9c64f3d2b8c3605cf280c2ea9bc4.JPG

I also managed to lay a bit more track.

IMG_1938.JPG.064ed409513f14b7521fb39c24634056.JPG

Here yo can see the return loop on the left which leads down slope round along the rear and then swings back round and up the curve to the right. The two middle roads are the continuous run.

IMG_1942.JPG.6c12ee8cd06d679be49c2d741dad4a7b.JPG

An impression of how the tracks will split to either side of the climb to the upper level.

IMG_1939.JPG.f3b0e07d5c84d685ec50b491a99bd261.JPG

IMG_1943.JPG.4ba08334edfb3ad7b06afe806c9b23bc.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG.bf711f5e66a772325eb2c4bde73e2a0f.JPG

Well thats it for the moment, as I said before it may be a while before another update but I delve into my favourite on here, namely Deneside, Haymarket Cross, Finsbury Park and several others.  Keep up the great work people, its wonderful inspiration.

Pete.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

You get to a point where there are things to be done, but to do them you have to shift everything around.  As you may have seen in the previous posts, the boards that have track on them have been painted (as usual) This is about half of the current layout. the other half has been used as workbench and just general depository for dross, cutting mat, tools etc.

Well if I am to get anywhere I spent an hour or so today clearing all that away to the opposite side and got down and painted the remainder of the boards.

So once thats dry I can draw out in full the remaining track plan and fingers crossed, everything will squeeze in.

Pete

I chuckle too myself sometimes as I reckon some on here think this is so passé but we have to all start somewhere, and my start is very slow.

The paint is dry so have been trying out track formations for the station throat of the secondary station which will be called Marden Road.

IMG_2021.JPG.da36fae0b62f2334af02433e794898c8.JPG

The track here is layed out as per the track plan...

IMG_2022.JPG.016c82d005851249b6a89339e02a37a3.JPG

The problem very quickly became apparent that this plan left a smaller station area which was not good.

IMG_2025.JPG.68464e15795412d680f164df993fb3f7.JPG

So I moved the points further around towards the lifting bridge and hopefully in the next few photos you can see some pencil marks where tracks connect up with the points which will give an extended platform length to take the projected 4 coach trains.

IMG_2026.JPG.af434f81a3b68d92ffa15df380b036d7.JPG

IMG_2028-2.JPG.37353f0e0236a42ba65170fcd1029b9b.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG.305cd32ef1044adfc58488f2173d6ed0.JPG

So we are getting somewhere, moving along slowly as time allows.  

Sorry its very intermittent, but with just 22months before I can hang up my work boots which will mean more time to work on this. Its taken 4.5 years to get this far, hopefully it will go quicker now.

Regards

Pete

Edited by Toftwood
  • Like 3

• Toftwood changed the title to Cullerbay, Marden Road - BR(NE) early 60's
  • 1 month later...

Welcome to the New Year, 2020! 

I was lucky to have some free time over the festive period so pleased with my presents to my self, a new J72 and Class24/1 from Bachmann via Great Eastern Models in Norwich, I cracked on and soldered droppers to all the currently laid track. All was tested and it worked.  

IMG_2159.JPG.02bab6538f7e7d9e826d6feeb193ec92.JPG

This is the track work that will be under the high level station. All this track has droppers fitted although there are no bus wires yet. Electric continuity was tested by a trusty old H&M Clipper controller.

I have also started to sort out 'Marden Road' station opposite this. I have to loosely lay track so that i can work out the shape and size of the platforms. 

IMG_2161.JPG.48a87a5e5f8d64047f6acd0d8510410e.JPG

This will be a four platform through station sweeping round to the right at the bottom of the picture. There will be an overhead bridge/station building hopefully based on Heaton. You can see my home-made track gauge near the pen. Because the radii are quite sharp (min Hornby Rad 4) to keep clearances this gives a little extra to the outside (left) than the standard Peco gauge.

IMG_2163.JPG.9fc235102f3129a7fe6ccc539ec3f3a4.JPG

The other end!

IMG_2162.JPG.d023756ac9cf00eb58682f5bfe100988.JPG

The bridge across the entrance door. This is on an incline from right to left.

IMG_2160.JPG.fd438f5fb9cd47e182bdc90259e10f35.JPG

This follows on from the first picture where you can see the return lower loop on the right, the continuous run tracks on either side and the ramp up to the high station in the middle(with the pot on)

Thats's the state of play at the moment, it seems to be gathering pace which is good, a little bit here, a little bit there and low and behold progress!

Pete

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought it time to give an update on progress on Cullerbay.

I am working my way round to start on Marden Road board nipping out to the shed for half an hour here or half an hour there.  As I have said before I have other calls on my time not least that of being Secretary of Thetford MRS and maintaining our Exhibition layout 'Fen Lane' which is due out again at Norwich Show on 4th April 2020. 

IMG_2239.JPG.3780ba5fb1093ac591a91e869d766c40.JPG

This a view looking from the upper level, the ramp up starts at bottom left of the photo with the double tracks.  The tracks either side are the continuous runs, with on the right the exit from a loop. The square of cork is my track gauge was I am using tighter curves the normal Peco ones are too close allowing no clearance for the longest coaches (Mk4s)

IMG_2240.JPG.a2cbe774debbc06bd72c3ce2a3bc010e.JPG

This follows from the previous photo with the run in to Marden Road.

IMG_2247.JPG.bb3c347c43c70fb2f5da91abe1f9e4b4.JPG

Today I started to lay track across the lifting bridge, the first time i have done anything like this!

IMG_2248.JPG.80ededf18b7ea643b8eb519654a8c197.JPG

A nice 'train' of weights whilst the glue dries.  I was quite pleased with the transition curves which happened without thought!!. This is where trains will 'burst' out of a tunnel from under Cullerbay. 

I hope you like the progress slow as it may be.  Its a steep learning curve from here on as I  will be starting to look at motorising points along with wiring in auto frog changers etc. 

Regards

Pete

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Time I think for a short update. I have been making steady progress on track laying bringing the four tracks onto the lifting bridge. 

IMG_2307.jpg.b522538ce47d9f3d0f3fdc92ab9b129b.jpg

This is the hinge end. As you can see I am using screws to witch the track will be soldered thereon.

OPMV3537.JPG.9bcff692e0cd7bbac0e48e819879691a.JPG

NLDR0777.JPG.14ee98f192d47ea7243d7b3916b280b1.JPG

Twas after the glue had dried and I went to solder onto what I thought were brass screws, that I found that they were not brass after all. The solder would not take.

In the mean time I spent several evenings renaming two Bachmann A1s, two Bachmann A2s and a Hornby A3. 

IMG_2335.JPG.61dd88274af2a560e21c58bc42081ffe.JPG

IMG_2336.jpg.ab481458b9cca0bc74c57a054dc810dd.jpg

So the weather has been nice the last few days and as I am at home on 'Standby' from work I did some track laying. 

It seems however I have reached my photo limit as I uploaded straight from my iPhone. 

Hope everyone is staying safe.

Regards 

Pete

• Like 4

This staying home business is great for railway modelling. I have done more to the layout in a few days than in the past few months, especially wight the weather as it is.

So, did a bit more today,

687DF4BC-A43C-46C4-A778-07CC2936A2D0.JPG.16ae642abcbee31d82bbc72c32816d9a.JPG

I think I have managed to get round the non brass screws issue.  The bess effect is just that, some judicious scraping has taken the brass finnish off the tops of the screws. The solder is holding at the moment.

IMG_2352-2.jpg.e0ba3a44b1d5ec7db59d761efef38d2a.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg.25b08a0b4af6943b4f522ecda612a875.jpg

Having cracked the problem of one end of the bridge onto the other end and sorting out the lead into Marden Road Station. Yes I know there is a kink in the track, this will be rectified before glueing :rolleyes:

IMG_2356.jpg.8def92e511ac403a9bf476f0335adb5c.jpg

The temptation to sharpen the curves has been resisted but one has to way that off against platform lengths.  The points are already two to three feet in and using curved points which are 9" long takes up a lot of space. But I think it will work with a bit of jiggery pokery.

IMG_2358.jpg.686f58da56370219f344f01cb703cec4.jpg

80005FDA-828C-4E3A-BE82-3348F7EE60EC.JPG.d558ac4620f79feeaae6197ff0b1aeed.JPG

I am really pleased with how it is coming along, I was looking back at when I started this project to what it look like now

IMG_0652.JPG.fb962e46d262866823c1e44dc4ab1be9.JPG

to.....

IMG_2349.JPG.82098b2191bc53c14072ef6d14c17c6c.JPG

Take care and stay safe.

Regards

Pete

• Like 4

I took a break from track laying the other evening and put this bridge together from some spare Daler Board card that I had left over from picture framing.

IMG_2360.jpg.7fdf3f19bc1ae2dc41398ffbb9ba58ea.jpg

Once I had got some rough measurements, I whipped this up in an evening.

IMG_2361.jpg.3b0c17b76205ef925e9d0191d696d55d.jpg

Once the PVA was dry I tried it in the place where a proper scratch built bridge will go.

IMG_2362.jpg.2923787228b2e02004ab7ce44c94ed38.jpg

It sits quite well although the proper one will need measuring properly.

IMG_2363.jpg.17b9bfab8aa6fe0db57182708a5b0e90.jpg

This is a view over the bridge parapet looking towards what will be Marden Road Station.

With the weather turning a little less friendly and as something different I Have a number of duplicate numbered Locos that needed renaming and renumbering.  Having never done anything like renaming or renumbering I plunged in and these are the result. 2 X Peppercorn A1s, now 60121/131 Silurian/Osprey, Peppercorn A2 now 60530 Sayajirao, and Gresely A3 now 60091 Captain Cuttle.

IMG_2367.jpg.e7b7560de15dd193891ebf9163a5f2e4.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg.10626336025b4ff8342a9b5781898add.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg.90ac7c262fb31658125cc8c31ec34c2a.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg.7ca8fcbbedbe7b3ce944a05368208fae.jpg

A couple will need fitting with decoders and the accessories fitted as well. That will have to wait until they spend more time on the layout than in /out of the box.

Regards 

Pete.

IMG_2371.jpg

Edited by Toftwood
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Toftwood said:

I took a break from track laying the other evening and put this bridge together from some spare Daler Board card that I had left over from picture framing.

IMG_2360.jpg.7fdf3f19bc1ae2dc41398ffbb9ba58ea.jpg

Once I had got some rough measurements, I whipped this up in an evening.

IMG_2361.jpg.3b0c17b76205ef925e9d0191d696d55d.jpg

Once the PVA was dry I tried it in the place where a proper scratch built bridge will go.

IMG_2362.jpg.2923787228b2e02004ab7ce44c94ed38.jpg

It sits quite well although the proper one will need measuring properly.

IMG_2363.jpg.17b9bfab8aa6fe0db57182708a5b0e90.jpg

This is a view over the bridge parapet looking towards what will be Marden Road Station.

With the weather turning a little less friendly and as something different I Have a number of duplicate numbered Locos that needed renaming and renumbering.  Having never done anything like renaming or renumbering I plunged in and these are the result. 2 X Peppercorn A1s, now 60121/131 Silurian/Osprey, Peppercorn A2 now 60530 Sayajirao, and Gresely A3 now 60091 Captain Cuttle.

IMG_2367.jpg.e7b7560de15dd193891ebf9163a5f2e4.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg.10626336025b4ff8342a9b5781898add.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg.90ac7c262fb31658125cc8c31ec34c2a.jpg

A couple will need fitting with decoders and the accessories fitted as well. That will have to wait until they spend more time on the layout than in /out of the box.

Regards 

Pete.

IMG_2371.jpg

Taking these photos has identified a problem with the track which could have been a fairly serious problem had I carried on and ballasted. The problem is with the joint over the hinge end of the lifting section. I have run a Mk4 coach over each joint many times to check it ran smoothly, which it did. when i put the locos on the track for the photos, there was a pronounced drop which caused the loco to derail. Probably because of the longer wheelbase. I'll post a pic later as an illustration. So it seems that I will have to put some packing in to raise it ups little.

Regards

Pete

I often wonder looking at other topics on Rmweb, how to get a link to my thread added to the bottom of my posts as a number of others seem to have.  So that if i post a reply on someone else's thread then it will show my link as well??

I have searched the Profile page and can't find anything that directs you to how to do it??

Can anyone point me in the right direction please??

Thx

Pete

• RMweb Gold

There was a facility for setting a ‘signature’ on the old site and I think I just pasted the link into that.  I can’t see how to do that these days, so I’d better not start a new layout that needs its own thread!!

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Paul.