O2 Coreless Motor

itsthegman

Hello Everyone

While waiting for turkey curry to be sorted I decided to take a look at my O2 that I bought from DJM as not quite perfect.

When I strip it down to the bare minimum chassis wheels motor it does exhibit a tight spot now and again but what got me was the lack of torque from the motor, is this normal for a coreless motor?.

I did Google and there was talk of torque but I'm not sure.

In the interim I have removed wheels gears and degreased everything.

Any experience with coreless motors I would get a replacement if there cheap enough and I can find one.

A boxing day mystery.

Thanks

G.

....Any experience with coreless motors I would get a replacement if they're cheap enough and I can find one.

I don't know what brand of coreless is being used in today's RTR, but the ones I have generally worked with are:

Escap

Faulhaber

Maxon

Maxon is probably the most robust of the three, and you get what you pay for. Used / as new ones frequently come up on eBay - do a search for "microlocomotion"; this US-based seller is quite helpful with suggestions, and he has a wide range of small diameter motors which may be a near-direct swap for the one in the O2. The only thing that might put you off is the postage rate from the USA - it's quite high!

Sounds a bit drastic to change the motor.  I believe the 02 is a bit weird in that it has gear drive to both coupled axles and fairly sloppy coupling rods designed to be cosmetic rather than functional. I think they look awful.  The fault sounds to me like a misshaped gear tooth or split gear or quartering trouble rather than anything wrong with the motor. If it is quartering then you really are stuffed. Split axles etc, I doubt anyone has spare wheels or axles. Generally a gutless torque free motor will give a chassis a much longer service life than a decent powerful one which is an important consideration with plastic gears product liability etc

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this thread, I purchased one of DJM's J94 locos 'with faults' from their stand at Warley. Apart from the fault being different to that labeled it ran ok. Having said that it did seem a bit 'gutless' so I removed the body to discover a motor of just 6mm diameter! this has a brass worm almost as big. I believe this combination is leading to the lack of tourque mentioned. The J94 also has gear drive to all axles and probably shares the same motor type as other DJM locos.

Regards,

Jim.

This is one of the major issues for me with the DJ range (don't know about the 71 as I don't have one). The motors are completely gutless to the point were even wheel cleaning is a pain. Its all well and good boasting how accurate they are but if they're so lightweight and gutless in the case of the Austerities then what's the point. I bought two of the original batches and felt for the RRP price they were not worth the money. Now the likes of Hattons have reduced them they're somewhere nearer the right price for something that is nice but a long way from perfect.