Kinlochmore – West Highland, 4mm P4

Kylestrome

• RMweb Gold

Why have I only noticed this layout now, David.

Anyone who pays THAT much attention to telegraph poles is fully deserving of mine!

Tour de Force in progress here, I say! Followed!

D.

Why have I only noticed this layout now, David.

Anyone who pays THAT much attention to telegraph poles is fully deserving of mine!

Tour de Force in progress here, I say! Followed!

D.

The layout is so good that you posted it twice ;)

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Passing-Place-1.jpg.a2ea5688dcef3eae473dd11df6833b17.jpg

Here’s another mini update, with a small feature that would be a familiar sight to anyone driving north of Glasgow. Passing place signs abound on single track roads but I had to search the internet for a photo of the old style of sign that would be appropriate for the period of the layout.

DSC03305.jpg.4144e963b8175d7e3952c3c243bfced6.jpg

Construction was simple, with a 6mm square of nickel silver sheet soldered into a rebate on some 1mm brass rod. The sign itself was computer drawn and printed out on glossy photo paper, which was then thinned down to just the top layer and glued on. The stripey poles were painted while being spun in a mini drill, which makes a tricky job quick and easy. Only the front is modelled – I don’t waste my efforts making things that will never be seen from a normal viewpoint!

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Incredible.

Although since you have gone to all the trouble of modelling in P4, couldn’t you have the time on the clock matching that in your photo?

[Finescale coat and hat will be collected on leaving.]

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifClaudButlerGlenfinnan-2.jpg

Way back in 1988 (it’s a bit of shock to realise that it was 30 years ago!) I took this photo at Glenfinnan station. It’s just a record shot, destined to help with making the model building for the layout. To give some reference for scale, I left my Claud Butler tourer, complete with Karrimor panniers, in the picture. Looking at it much later, I thought I would have a little fun

and include a model of my old bike on the layout.

David

attachicon.gifDSC_2463.jpg

The construction appears a little bit crude until one realises just how small it is. The materials used are nickel silver with odd bits of wire and styrene for the details. The brake wires have now been replaced with much finer wire.

attachicon.gifModel-Claud-Butler-1.jpg

Here is my attempt at recreating the photo in model form although, it has to be remembered, the layout is only very loosely based on Glenfinnan.

Nice bike, but square-section aluminium frames weren't introduced until 1989, and you've missed off the front derailleur!  :jester:

We might have crossed paths if you were touring the West Highlands in 1988. I was doing the same in (I think) the last week of May. 37422 was everywhere. Seemed to be on every train we saw. 

Edited by Daddyman

attachicon.gifDSC03309.jpg

One of the few things I can remember from my first weeks at art school (apart from the life drawing sessions  :paint:  )  was the phrase “never be too ‘precious’ about your work”. What that was supposed to mean, is that you should always be self-critical and not be afraid to change something if you’re happy with it.

Well, I wasn’t happy with the grassy area around the cottage, which was done on the quick with a cheapo grass mat, so it had to go …

I have replaced it with some short static grass using a Noch puffer bottle. In an effort to reproduce the appearance of slightly boggy ground with coarse grass, some individual tufts have glued on top. The tufts are of two different colours; a lush green and a brownish colour. Then some of the green tufts were dry brushed with the brown colour to create the characteristic transition from green to brown.

David

Close ups of smaller scale layouts can be cruel for most of us David, but your detail is immaculate. I think mine looks OK until I zoom in on the photo! The 'reedy' grass around the cottage looks great - very realistic!

Marlyn

Close-ups are always cruel but I'll let you have just one.

David

attachicon.gifBike-2.jpg

That bike is bloodybrilliant !

I was looking for somewhere to do me a good MTB, unlike the rather generic poorly formed ones we see sold .

You in the market for a cottage industry ?!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This layout is simply stunning, the simplistic layout and sublime attention to detail pull together and have produced in my opinion a real winner.

I think it's been asked before, but can we have some more pics...it is Christmas after all :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Agree with what others have said. This layout is beautifully executed and captures the West Highland brilliantly.

Agree more photos would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I've only just stumbled onto this and can only echo what others say, it's wonderfully evocative and atmospheric.

I can see why you use the "truncated branch" scenario to fit with the space available but it's almost a shame it's built into the space available; another full length fiddle yard would allow the through service to be reinstated. ;)

• RMweb Premium
On 26/12/2018 at 10:40, Ramblin Rich said:

I can see why you use the "truncated branch" scenario to fit with the space available but it's almost a shame it's built into the space available; another full length fiddle yard would allow the through service to be reinstated.

In my unrealistically stretched imagination, part of the original line is still open and allows access to the aluminium smelter and whisky distillery (don’t ask me how because you’ll only get the answer: “Rule No. 1”). In order to increase the operating potential of the layout I have built a second ‘fiddle yard’. It has just a single road because it is built over a bed, which sees use by guests and myself occasionally, so I can truly say I sleep under my layout!

DSC03722.jpg.ef8fd7a8c3bdd62422031b4e6fafdbbd.jpg

DSC03723.jpg.7a3e6973c2e83e073202898830f001bf.jpg

Just like the other fiddle yard this one has a dust cover but this one also serves as a handy shelf for bedtime reading matter.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 7