Kinlochmore – West Highland, 4mm P4

Kylestrome

Here are a few more shots from my rather hurried pre-Christmas photo session. 

attachicon.gifKinlochmore_12-2018_8.jpg

attachicon.gifKinlochmore_12-2018_10.jpg

A short freight train on it’s way towards North Ballachulish and ultimately to Fort William.

attachicon.gifKinlochmore_12-2018_9.jpg

5414 engaged in a spot of shunting. I still need to change those snowploughs for the correct ones.

attachicon.gifKinlochmore_12-2018_11.jpg

A solitary Prestwin stands in the yard. This is more or less a standard Airfix kit with new ladders (and buffers too, If I remember correctly) but it's still missing some ‘ALUMINA’ decals.

attachicon.gifKinlochmore_12-2018_12.jpg

5414 is collecting empty passenger stock from the rear siding.

attachicon.gifKinlochmore_12-2018_13.jpg

A general view of the layout looking towards the west and the engineers siding.

David

Breath-taking!  What a wonderful model - there is absolutely nothing (to my eyes, at least) that gives the game away that this is a model, or jars in the slightest.  Thank you for your sharing your pictures.

Best wishes, 

Paul

• RMweb Premium
On 26/12/2018 at 17:52, Enfys_Rainbow said:

It's the way everything ties together, nothing stands out as being an afterthought and even the smallest details are modelled to the same high standard.

Thanks a lot for the kind comments, but you flatter me too much!

If only you knew how much of it is the result of afterthoughts, changes of mind and general 'corrections'. In fact, it might amuse you to learn that when I started laying track the layout was intended to be an urban goods yard (hence the rather unprototypical track layout).  :scratchhead:

David

Edited by Kylestrome

Here are a few more shots from my rather hurried pre-Christmas photo session. 

attachicon.gifKinlochmore_12-2018_8.jpg

attachicon.gifKinlochmore_12-2018_10.jpg

A short freight train on it’s way towards North Ballachulish and ultimately to Fort William.

attachicon.gifKinlochmore_12-2018_9.jpg

5414 engaged in a spot of shunting. I still need to change those snowploughs for the correct ones.

attachicon.gifKinlochmore_12-2018_11.jpg

A solitary Prestwin stands in the yard. This is more or less a standard Airfix kit with new ladders (and buffers too, If I remember correctly) but it's still missing some ‘ALUMINA’ decals.

attachicon.gifKinlochmore_12-2018_12.jpg

5414 is collecting empty passenger stock from the rear siding.

attachicon.gifKinlochmore_12-2018_13.jpg

A general view of the layout looking towards the west and the engineers siding.

David

Backscene makes this shot.

Brilliant - been on the WHL Morar Fort Bill a few times and its pretty well nailed

Edited by Crisis Rail

• RMweb Gold

In my unrealistically stretched imagination, part of the original line is still open and allows access to the aluminium smelter and whisky distillery (don’t ask me how because you’ll only get the answer: “Rule No. 1”). In order to increase the operating potential of the layout I have built a second ‘fiddle yard’. It has just a single road because it is built over a bed, which sees use by guests and myself occasionally, so I can truly say I sleep under my layout!  :lazy: 

attachicon.gif2nd-FiddleYard-1.jpg

attachicon.gif2nd-FiddleYard-2.jpg

Just like the other fiddle yard this one has a dust cover but this one also serves as a handy shelf for bedtime reading matter.

David

Snap on the reading material - the Kyle book was just that last night. Great works shown here  and inspirational with the uncluttered natural effects you have achieved - many thanks . 

Brilliant set of photos and a superbly crafted layout.  A great example of less is more!

You really have captured the look of the West Highland Line. Inspirational work reminding me of visits to the WHL. 

Mal

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

Kinlochmore has been subjected to a few small modifications of a botanical nature.

Scotts-pines.jpg.7c81630be0b0a3300039a735bf72fed7.jpg

The Scots Pines have a habit of moving around and multiplying when nobody is looking.

Cottage.jpg.4a9ed2d22608f415da19e4e5773c6587.jpg

The area around the cottage Croft has gained a fir tree of some description and another large bush.

The layout is now just about finished apart from a few small details like a station barrow and some odd and ends by the platelayers hut.

David

Wow I found some thing to complain about :D.

Modail sgoinneil,  Amazing modelling, looks just right, from when I used to catch the ferry from Oban or Mallaig

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/06/2019 at 13:48, TheQ said:

Wow I found some thing to complain about :D.

Modail sgoinneil,  Amazing modelling, looks just right, from when I used to catch the ferry from Oban or Mallaig

Let's just say it's a cottage on a croft. Or a crofter's cottage? ;)

Thanks for your kind comments.

David

Edited by Kylestrome

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, pete55 said:

Unless I missed it somewhere, what are the approximate dimensions of it?

The scenic section is 250 x 45 cm (8' 2" x 1' 6" in old money). There is a four road fiddle yard traverser which is 96 cm (3' 2") long that can accommodate a maximum length of train equal to a Class 37 and two coaches. At the other end is a single track fiddle yard which represents off-scene industrial sidings.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/06/2019 at 22:38, ThaneofFife said:

is it set up for dusk or evening working with lighting in the coaches or buildings etc?

Unfortunately not. That would have been nice but I would have needed to plan it like that from the start. The layout actually started off as something completely different and just sort of evolved into what it is now.

David

Edited by Kylestrome

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

That does look very good and Santa was on the money !  At least you also get a new biscuit  tin/ sarnie box for work and a loco for home time - ultimate win, win I guess.  Layout does look so very good and as noted by many evocative of the area and time.  

Festive greetings as well. 

Robert     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Wow! David this really is a fantastic layout. Everything about it is spot on. It just oozes West Highland atmosphere. Great backscene, scenery and attention to detail. 

This is such an inspiration for my own layout. You've set the bar on the top notch. If mine looks half as good I'd be happy. Really enjoyed catching up with this thread this morning. Please keep posting pics.

Andy

• Thanks 1