Kinlochmore – West Highland, 4mm P4

Kylestrome

• RMweb Premium
On 01/03/2020 at 16:26, Ben04uk said:

In the open wagon, what product have you used to represent the whisky barrels? 

Base-Toys L01 - '54 gallon Hogshead Large Barrels', 16 in a pack. I got mine from Hattons.

David

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Windjabbers said:

Hi another question, but what size is the layout please?

The scenic section is 250 x 45 cm (8' 2" x 1' 6" in old money). There is a four road fiddle yard traverser which is 96 cm (3' 2") long that can accommodate a maximum length of train equal to a Class 37 and two coaches. At the other end is a single track fiddle yard which represents off-scene industrial sidings.

• Like 1

i don't know how many times iv'e been back to your thread the last couple of days because i'm blown away with it and it's really giving me inspiration for my forthcoming build especially the less is more approach , now i just need to decide if i need the 50+ locos i have or whittle it down to a select few highly detailed ones , excellent work

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just spent a very pleasant half hour reading through this thread - my family are from this part of the world and many of them worked on the railway so the West Highland Lines are in my blood as it were.  This is masterful stuff - despite your backscene's Irish origins it really evokes the Lochaber area and I love the way it is cleverly blended in with the rest of the layout.

I too treated myself to SLW's 24009 a couple of months back and despite the fact that my own layout is little more than a plank at the moment (but will eventually become somewhere near Morar) it's already given me hours of fun - my first loco since starting afresh in the hobby but convinces me of there fact it's worth saving the pennies and only having the best, here's hoping Accurascale's '37's make the grade....

Something else that stands out is the very subtle weathering on your locos and MK1 coaches, this is something that is so often overdone, could I ask how you achieved this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Solo said:

..................... could I ask how you achieved this?

Mostly with an airbrush, would be the short answer. I find it difficult to explain exactly what I did – it was a long time ago and I tend to just do what seems right at the time. In other words, I have no particular technique.

From what I can remember, the Mk1s were first reduced to their component parts. The ribs were sanded off the roofs before respraying. The underframes, bogies and wheels were sprayed black and then oversprayed with 'dark earth' (or similar). The ends got a bit of the dark earth treatment and the rubbing plates some additional rust colour. 

So far, I've only weathered the Class 25 and 27, both of which are relatively clean. The layout is set in 1968/9 so the blue livery would not really be that dirty yet. The roofs have been sprayed a dirty black colour, being careful to spray down vertically so as not to hit the sides or ends. Some the paint along the cant rail was then wiped off, in a downward motion, with a cloth to give a 'feathered' appearance. The ends just have a little bit of 'pin wash'* of some brownish colour to indicate some dirt in the seams and corners. The chassis were heavily weathered separately.

David

*https://youtu.be/LfsFGZbiDLM

• Informative/Useful 2

On 11/06/2019 at 14:03, Kylestrome said:

1449460163_ScreenShot2019-06-11at14_00_12.png.797f57836a4027fd783fa773ce25ddaa.png

Let's just say it's a cottage on a croft. Or a crofter's cottage? ;)

Thanks for your kind comments.

David

Careful, now: a 'cottar' was the lowest form of life hereabouts, back in the day, so 'cottage' could be taken as something of an insult;) Absolutely tremendous layout, with cracking atmosphere:clapping_mini:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/08/2020 at 20:35, Kylestrome said:

In an effort to produce some reasonably decent photos of the layout, I’ve been playing around with various lighting setups in conjunction with focus stacking. I’ve also been experimenting with simulating sunlight using off-camera remote flash. Focus stacking with remote flash is relatively simple with the Olympus camera that I use. Once I have worked out how many frames are needed at what intervals, and the flash power, the process is then ‘fire and forget’ with the camera taking the shots automatically.

Here are some of the results after combining in Helicon Focus.

David

:O :swoon:  Blown away - superb David...

Edited by bcnPete
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2021 at 09:53, ullypug said:

That last photo had me completely fooled into thinking it was real.

Thanks for your comment.

It's all down to focus-stacking which gives a much more realistic depth of field (focus?). That last shot was done at 70mm f/11, on a micro four thirds camera, and the resulting 35 frames combined in Helicon Focus software. The wonders of modern technology!

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

17 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

The chassis block has had space milled out of it for two 'EM1' type speakers (Tang Band T0-2008S) which give some nice 'oomph' to the sound decoder.

The 37 looks absolutely cracking David - very nice work. Regarding the two speakers - would you be able to post a photo of the setup please?

I’ve got a number of P4 37s awaiting Penbits bogies and speakers so would be interested to see your approach to sound fitting. I’ve written off the tanks so if I can get two EM1s inside the body that would be a great!

Thanks in advance,

Will

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2021 at 14:29, Southwich said:

Regarding the two speakers - would you be able to post a photo of the setup please?

Will,

I didn't take any photos of the chassis work, but I'm in the process of doing a similar installation in a Class 37/4.

37-Speaker-1.jpg.52eb724ad56a2892e455ac8bc56d6ee0.jpg

There is one speaker inside the tank moulding.

37-Speaker-2.jpg.fcd6a3219f779a686955624a7e1802ae.jpg

Fitting the 'EM1' size speakers is no big deal, compared to the larger EM2, so there is very little metal to take off for the second speaker. The circuit board will have to be re-fitted further back on the chassis block.

37-Speaker-3.jpg.4787c26011e346b314387c917e783710.jpg

The two 4 ohm speakers need to be wired in series, to give an impedence of 16 ohms, which is within the range that an ESU V.4 can handle.

HTH,

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1