GNRi UG Class

tmcg1959

I have built many Worsley Works models, Railcars and Coaches but never a locomotive.  Allen Doherty usually does not do 'kits' he provides parts for scratch builders.  You would have to provide wheels, motor, gear box etc etc. He does not provide instructions, can you put some pictures up of exactly what he has provided to see what is involved.  Not one for the faint hearted and if you have not built a brass locomotive before I would strongly recommend  reading something like Iain Rice's 'Locomotive Kit Chassis Construction in 4mm' before you start.

Anyone with experience of building the Worlsey Works UG class loco kit. Just ordered one from Allen and was wondering what level of experience is required for this type of kit.

Reading between the lines they are not really kits rather a bag of bits as Kieran highlighted for scratch builders who have to source, fabricate or make the rest of the parts. For folks with loads of patience and advanced skills. Not for the feint hearted.

Anyone with experience of building the Worlsey Works UG class loco kit. Just ordered one from Allen and was wondering what level of experience is required for this type of kit.

Covered well by Kieran's and Noel's replies,the level of experience is experienced, not something for a first time build, you need to have a good knowledge of what you are doing. Hopefully you are in the latter and can produce a top class model.

Another attempt at modelling Irish foiled...........

Allen, has kindly accepted that I return the 'kit'

I think that is a good decision Tony.  Another option if you are prepared to play about with an RTR engine, the 'Modelling Irish Railways' book suggest for a possible conversion to a UG is a Tri-ang 3F Tender loco not the Jinty Tank.  With a bit of work it could be close to a UG.

• Like 1