colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

Last update for today here are some shots of the goods yard. Trying out locations for a small cattle dock and coal staithe as well as a weigh bridge. Interested to hear views on the use of weighbridges on small stations / light railways. Common or rare? What's the alternative? Weighing bag loads on scales?

post-12721-0-27387600-1548695847_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-58065400-1548695859_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-09716000-1548695872_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-91997700-1548695883_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-10189500-1548695896_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I think i might go for the woodland scenics stuff on a base of sand and gravel glued down with PVA. Any ideas G?

See Robs reply Colin, I suggested using it to him for his sea remake and I think he's happy with the product.

I would give this look too, it might help ?

G

Edit: to include the video.

Edited by bgman

Not certain about Light Railway practice but possibly some scales with bags, they could take up less room and may look better ?

Another edit after posting -

https://invertrain.com/product/coal-scales-on-trolley/

Just a general thought / idea and not expensive either.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tried a little section of ballasted track which will be running lines only. One half of this sample has a light wash of dirty blacky brown paint over the whole thing after ballasting (lower left of photo)

What do people think? With or without?

20190206_182005.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

Tried a little section of ballasted track which will be running lines only. One half of this sample has a light wash of dirty blacky brown paint over the whole thing after ballasting (lower left of photo)

What do people think? With or without?

20190206_182005.jpg

It looks fine to me Colin, maybe consider some highlighting random areas either by dry brushing and / or using weathering powders which may also serve to give the grain in your timber a bit of age and depth.

G

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Graheme. Perhaps not a great photo as the sleepers have been dry brushed and do have some subtle tones. My worry with the WS ballast is that its a bit two tone yellow and brown. I think possibly I could thin the wash a bit more next time to leave a bit more variation, a sort of compromise between the two.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Looks good Colin. I like the "dirty blacky brown".

Thanks Mikkel. I think I'm with you on that. It's a little bit one coloured but the variations in the untreated ballast look too much to my eye. As I said in response to Graheme I might try a thinner wash to try to compromise and leave some of the variations.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:05, colin penfold said:

Its woodland scenics. Fine dark brown on the main, a mix of fine and medium cinders in the yard

Its what is being used on my layout, I'm using medium base with fine top layer and the yards are/will be fine burnt sand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The mind boggles Robin did you spell that birds name correctly.

36 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

SWMBO had a cockatoo before we were married....

Did you spell that correctly young Rob. :whistle:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The body of the birdcage is now primed. Amazing how it starts to look complete in comparison to the bare brass

2019-03-21_16_50_01.jpg.7bbfaf9ea7db98211f78e9f18a9375d8.jpg

I have the majority of the interior done including the lighting on a bar of plasticard.

2019-03-21_16_49_27.jpg.cbfbe98c87b48145aeaf05064d759f51.jpg

The interiors for each end will be fixed inside the body rather than attached to the floor

2019-03-21_16_48_55.jpg.e40df245ab71c5f457e6b10392d7a6f3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold

That looks fantastic Colin. The seats must have been an interesting modelling project in themselves. The wood effect in particular has come out really well, I think.

I see you have also started on a galleon :D

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mikkel. The third class seats were mid brown paint over white plasticard, leaving the coverage less than 100%, then dry brushed with a dark brown to create the grainy effect. I used slaters seats but made flat backs with plain plasticard - the slaters backs have a headrest moulded in. Second and first are real cloth glued to the slaters seats.  I chose thin material with virtually no pattern and a nice close grain as I think it looks more like cloth at a distance than i can manage with paint effects. Ironically it was seeing Graheme (BGMan) seats that made me decide to try real cloth, and it turned out afterwards he used printed paper not cloth at all!!!  :)

Yo ho ho and a dog box full of rum.....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have added the door hinges and vents now. When the glue is properly hard I will touch in the grey primer to avoid any coverage issues when I spray it.

Hinges were short lengths of plastic rod glued "sitting" in the etched slots. The bottom ones are in two parts. A plasticard wedge designed to sit in the slot and a half-round slice of plastic rod on top to provide the curve. This was a happy accident. I was going to try to file the plasticard to shape but then found when I cut the rod to length some pieces were splitting - eureka!

2019-03-22_14_19_27.jpg.1fb49c447b21c1a8f9793daeceb5ea5c.jpg

2019-03-22_14_18_55.jpg.754a14de68a596e0f7be0e7dfe2855f1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1