colin penfold

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Can I ask what make the rolling road is?

Hi Mikkel, this is it. From Direct train spares. You can buy the number of axles you need and it push fits into a piece of track for support and power. It's a budget item in terms of quality as well as price but it works OK. It can be a little awkward to set up with the right spacing and can become a little unstable. I probably should at least get one more axle. They have an ebay shop which makes ordering easy.

Edit to say it is now quite a bit cheaper to order direct from them than via ebay. They have a paypal checkout on their own site. Ordering 4 axles via ebay was £51 but £44 direct.

20190826_084423~2.jpg

Edited by colin penfold
Addendum
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Thank you so much Ade that's fascinating. That's a Shefflex set, very similar to the Fords. Wonderful to see the driver starting the engine of the rear car before the return journey, and the guard swinging the door open as the train enters a crowded platform.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Here it is as a rolling twin chassis with the simplex sound file. One problem is that the driving wheels stop almost dead as the throttle is turned off. I presume I need to play with the inertia settings. Love the claxon!!!!

Edited by colin penfold
Addendum
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

ZA quick update for the merry few who are kind enough to follow my ramblings. You may have been wondering where I have been. Well I have had some DIY to do. My lovely wife decided that the conservatory needed to be a nicer room so I have installed tongue and groove over the internal brickwork and new window sills. She is now redecorating as luckily she is a better painter than me. Meantime I have moved to some DIY/modelling fusion activity. In negotiations it was agreed I could continue to model in the conservatory using an invention of mine to make my modelling mess a little less, well, messy I suppose. So here is the Penfold patent folding modellers workshop MkI. It has drawers which are wooden crates from hobbycraft and slide-out workbench, test track and Pillar drill.

2019-10-15_10_51_09.jpg.46e45dbe1bb67a82d8fac52754bd70d4.jpg

2019-10-15_10_50_30.jpg.222ae726e637630eab00ebfa0c40af23.jpg

Made from two kit-bashed flatpack bookshelves it will be hinged in the centre and fold in on itself to conceal all work-in-progress. It will be mounted on casters to move around the room although it has its parking space earmarked for when not in use. Still do do is fitting casters, some trimmings and a nicely finished back as it will be the front when closed. Then it can be fitted out and go into service. The first items through works will be the second car of the ford, followed by the Ilfracombe Goods loco.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Mark l was fully deployed yesterday for the first time. Here it is in use:

20191031_163115.jpg.7dfeda4dbbf9694a2150703bc5a38c9e.jpg

As promised the first job was to complete the Ford railcar set. After two good days the second body is complete.

20191031_162635.jpg.0bb713569a615218b471135f531d96a9.jpg

Edited by colin penfold
Reversing dumb autocorrect
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold

Ah! Just found this.......mmmm....Railcars are fab but lovin' the Penfold Integrated Storage System.........

Rob. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Mikkel said:

That looks superb!

Did they ever put anything on the roof, looking at online photos I can't find any showing luggage up there.

According to the book I have, very rarely. The film that Ade linked to earlier showed a very busy set at Selsey but generally there were only a few passengers so luggage could be taken into the saloon. A couple of the sets ran for a while with an open wagon for luggage sandwiched between the two cars. They again were lightly used and fell out of service. The book "Colonel Stephens Railmotors" by Irwell Press is a reasonably priced little book with a wealth of useful information if anyone is interested.

One photo in the book depicts jerry cans on the roof and I plan to place three on mine just for the interest.

Edited by colin penfold
Addendum
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

That 'work station'  is  a wonderful piece of engineering.  I ought to see if I could build one, to replace the lash-up in the garage. Just one query; is the work-bench with the cutting board only supported at the rear? I'm a bit heavy-handed, and could see me bringing the whole edifice down about my ears, like some latter-day Samson.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your kind comments. The workbenches with the cutting board, soldering station, pillar drill and test track are all on heavy duty full extension drawer runners. They slide fully out until the back is where the front was when stowed. They feel very sturdy in themselves. My only concern was the balance of the whole unit, so I added the extendinng legs at the bottom to counter any possible forward tipping of the whole unit. These are the runners https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Drawer-Runners-Slides-GTV-Full-Extension-45mm-Ball-Bearing-Runner-/251398193891

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just now, colin penfold said:

Thank you for your kind comments. The workbenches with the cutting board, soldering station, pillar drill and test track are all on heavy duty full extension drawer runners. They slide fully out until the back is where the front was when stowed. They feel very sturdy in themselves. My only concern was the balance of the whole unit, so I added the extendinng legs at the bottom to counter any possible forward tipping of the whole unit. These are the runners https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Drawer-Runners-Slides-GTV-Full-Extension-45mm-Ball-Bearing-Runner-/251398193891

Thanks very much for your prompt reply, Colin. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You're welcome. I probably should add that the unit overall is 5'6" tall and I initially planned for taller. The units I kitbashed dictated that reduction and I'm glad in hindsight. Also I tried to design the weight distribution as low as possible especially having the airbrush compressor at the bottom.. Obviously if the mobile and foldaway features weren't needed it could be lashed to the wall.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On Friday, November 01, 2019 at 07:34, colin penfold said:

Rob, I love it! Takes me back to when you were designing the support structures for your fiddle yards ☺

Since replaced by F.A.R.T.S. 

Fiddle

Area

Reshuffling

Table

System.  

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Since replaced by F.A.R.T.S. 

Fiddle

Area

Reshuffling

Table

System.  

Rob. 

After your inability to get normal size stock on to the layout, maybe it's Finding A Railway Tunnel's Shrunk?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

After your inability to get normal size stock on to the layout, maybe it's Finding A Railway Tunnel's Shrunk?

Would we be talking about tubby diesels by any chance? 

• Friendly/supportive 1