colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

I have just noticed something with this coach.

There are no shut lines below the waist. Not even a hint of the existence of doors.

Is this normal?

What would / should /could I do about it? Score them in? Draw them on in pencil? As it's taken me this long to notice perhaps it's not an issue

Thoughts would be very welcome.....

Hi mate,

Before considering a suggestion about shut lines can I ask what final colour the coach sides will be sprayed ?

And what type of paint you will be using ie. Enamel / acrylic ?

G

Edited by bgman

• RMweb Gold

Hi G

I have actually sprayed it already, which is annoying as I wish I had realised the omission before I did so  :(

One side is SR Olive Green (acrylic), one side is SECR Maroon (enamel)

2019-03-28_12_29_53.jpg.3739ca24594a1d7b91b3aa15e14ab015.jpg

2019-03-28_12_29_16.jpg.2dbf5a8f84b412bf9060aa1a2723369d.jpg

Edited by colin penfold
Add photos
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Colin I've been using Staedtler triplus fineliners for coach lining, shadow lines and for door lines on certain models they are only £2.19 on Ebay posted

you will need to Dulcote them they are water based. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, colin penfold said:

Hi G

I have actually sprayed it already, which is annoying as I wish I had realised the omission before I did so  :(

One side is SR Olive Green (acrylic), one side is SECR Maroon (enamel)

2019-03-28_12_29_53.jpg.3739ca24594a1d7b91b3aa15e14ab015.jpg

2019-03-28_12_29_16.jpg.2dbf5a8f84b412bf9060aa1a2723369d.jpg

Ok, I have also just read Mr 81C's ( dodgy bloke :jester:) suggestion as I was typing my reply and it may work fine, I would just be careful of any "bleed" with the ink especially on the enamel.

My thought was to use an HB pencil which shouldn't react to a final coat of varnish and also save " cutting" into the paint finish, and leave an indication of the doors.

Either way I hope it turns out fine for you.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all. I am concerned that the beading was quite prominent either side of the doors on these vehicles. I think it's a major omission by Worsley Works, perhaps due to the upscaling from 4mm. Given that I missed it till this late stage I think I will take your advice and draw the lines in rather than try to put anything more substantial in.

I have two options, I have a good quality fine propelling pencil and I have just bought an easi liner pen to do the lining with so I can try both the methods you have suggested - pen and pencil.

I will put it on the list with painting droplights, fitting t-handles, painting the grab handles, lining and lettering followed by glazing!

Edited by colin penfold
finishing sentence

• RMweb Gold

Some rolling stock projects moving forward.

The birdcage has had its microstrips added and although they are not perfect it looks better with than without.

2019-04-07_13_48_03.jpg.3cfc45668f2aba67ac42fa0d085b37a7.jpg

2019-04-07_13_47_18.jpg.ac634db50667c218bd597af7f02ebefc.jpg

With extended drying times for the birdcage I decided to make a pair of SR 12T vans from parkside kits I was given for Christmas

2019-04-07_13_48_31.jpg.ba86419582eed83f44fde41c7d6c4fca.jpg

I also gave the ba$tard van a coat of paint this morning. I have gone for a slightly darker shade on the van bit than on the open bit to exaggerate the botched nature of the prototype. I plan to fade them together more when I weather it but I'm hoping to give the impression that they didn't repaint the open when they cobbled the van bit onto it so they don't match paint wise. The other thing which will draw the eye is that the lettering transfers will be correctly positioned on the open as on the MSLR version that inspired me.

2019-04-07_13_46_40.jpg.fd5348dfbee1c753ed392a52cc0cb7ba.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Actually paid a visit to the birdcage it was quietly parked at the back of the carriage works at Horsted Keynes Sunday I plumbed for a ride in one of the Met's 4 wheeled carriages  hauled by the gamely little H class

better than riding in  a BR mk1 with square wheels being dragged by a S15 or something similar  Q Grahame  :jester:

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 81C said:

Q Grahame  :jester:

Why would anyone wish to Q behind me ?

I find it more fun when they're in front as I can push them outa the way !

Colin.... sorry about that, those coaches are coming along nicely mate.

GQ

Edited by bgman
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Been working on the platform end of the layout. I decided that it made sense to do the platform edging before I fix the overbridges into position. Wooden edging made from coffee stirrers with balsa upright posts. Dyed with mid oak woodstain then weathered with black and brown powders.

2019-04-17_15_09_32.jpg.5178a4c41a6456ec99c479bc4be475fd.jpg2019-04-17_15_09_09.jpg.433a8d5381a1ea25dbc180da76e30292.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Colin, the birdcages look brilliant. The door shut lines were clearly worth it, as seen on the olive ones. As usual most of the the carefully modelled internal detail can't be seen, but we know it's there!  I like the subtle glimpse of the differently coloured seating in the last shot. 

Coffee stirrers are one of natures great creations. I had a Google and there does not seem to be a Coffee Stirrer Appreciation Society, quite disappointing :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Colin, the birdcages look brilliant. The door shut lines were clearly worth it, as seen on the olive ones. As usual most of the the carefully modelled internal detail can't be seen, but we know it's there!  I like the subtle glimpse of the differently coloured seating in the last shot. 

Coffee stirrers are one of natures great creations. I had a Google and there does not seem to be a Coffee Stirrer Appreciation Society, quite disappointing :D

Thanks Mikkel. I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, but the shut lines are much more prominent on the olive side aren't they? I think it's because of the below-waist lining on the SECR side. Having said that,  the lining follows the shut lines so I couldn't have got away with not doing them on that side. Glad you like it

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Coffee Stirrer Appreciation Society, quite disappointing :D

I vote Colin to stand as President !

Yours,

D.A.R. Jeeling

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1