• RMweb Gold

I am looking. Forward toa going but curious. How busy is Friday?

Thanks

Hoovernut,

Friday can be a lot busier than the Saturday or the Sunday. Whether you want to see the layouts with less of a crowd or to get into the trade stands more easily, you should find the Saturday or Sunday less busy. In fact when some of the traders, notable Squires, send out flyers for the show they do in fact mention that the Saturday and Sunday are less busy.

Of course if you are after a bargain on some particular item you could miss out by attending later. And of course this year, if you want one of the Limited Edition Class 47 locos they may well sell out on the Friday.

Whatever you decide I hope you thoroughly enjoy this year's show. 

Archie

• RMweb Gold

Some posts about the MacLellan Galleries on here are certainly bringing out the nostalgia in me. When I was still at secondary school a friend of mine in the same class told me he was helping to operate a small demonstration layout by one of the main manufacturers and suggested I would really like the show. He was certainly an avid railway enthusiast, to the extent in fact that with any piece of homework he had to do he would do his best to incorporate a railway theme. I took his advice and visited the show on the Saturday. From stepping into the main hall I was hooked. My one abiding memory of that show is the layout known as Cardean, by Clydeside MRC. An L-shaped OO gauge terminus with the multi-platform station on the longer, left hand leg of the L viewed from inside the L. The feature I liked best was the branch which climbed away from the station and over the main line to a small branch line station called Alt-Na-Bhob. That small station hid the fiddle yard on the lower level behind it. I watched it for a long time and chose to start modelling from then on. That was 1971 and a few years later I joined Glasgow & West of Scotland MRC of which I am still a member. 

Out of nostalgia, respect or whatever you want to call it, I have incorporated a reference to Cardean in every layout I have built since then, usually by way of a road sign showing "Cardean 6 Miles". My current layout "Fairhaven Road" has the wording "Fairhaven Road - Change for Cardean" on two of the station nameboards. There is a separate RM Web thread about Fairhaven Road.

I have a copy of a magazine article on Cardean from that year and have attached scans of the three pages to fuel the nostalgia even further!

post-14517-0-94304700-1518126917_thumb.jpgpost-14517-0-55829500-1518126940_thumb.jpgpost-14517-0-84918900-1518126960_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I have a copy of a magazine article on Cardean from that year and have attached scans of the three pages to fuel the nostalgia even further!

What a fabulous artice, thanks for posting it. I've no memories of the layout but sounds fascinating, being able to be displayed in a multiple variety of styles using different modular baseboards.

Manxcat - Well you'll remember Archie Brown's "Hatton" was it? (Of course you may well actually be Archie) I think it was - a lovely 'L' shaped GWR! BLT c/w working bells and a theatre indicator) - I joined the G&WS MRC I think round about 72-73? though I'm no longer a member...  Although it was set in GWR days it wasn't unusual for one of the members fine collection of mostly kit built BR Blue diesesl to make an appearance on the Sunday.   MacLellan Galleries- happy days!

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Manxcat - Well you'll remember Archie Brown's "Hatton" was it? (Of course you may well actually be Archie) I think it was - a lovely 'L' shaped GWR! BLT c/w working bells and a theatre indicator) - I joined the G&WS MRC I think round about 72-73? though I'm no longer a member...  Although it was set in GWR days it wasn't unusual for one of the members fine collection of mostly kit built BR Blue diesesl to make an appearance on the Sunday.   MacLellan Galleries- happy days!

Bob, Thank you for your kind words. I am indeed Archie Brown and Hatton Heath was my layout. Alan Johnston created the theatre indicator for the signal concerned which could show a 1, 2, 3 or 4 for the four platforms and an L for the goods loop. This was a long time before the miniaturisation of the electronics for such an indicator and so it was a bit big but it drew lots of comment. The points and signals were fully operated and, as you say, with our strong interest in S & T we used block instruments and bells to signal the trains.

I have attached three photos. Horrible, grainy and out of focus because my photography skills then were not what they are now but I hope they bring back the memories.

Archie

post-14517-0-59544400-1518194509_thumb.jpgpost-14517-0-18722000-1518194521_thumb.jpgpost-14517-0-52531300-1518194532_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hoovernut,

Friday can be a lot busier than the Saturday or the Sunday. Whether you want to see the layouts with less of a crowd or to get into the trade stands more easily, you should find the Saturday or Sunday less busy. In fact when some of the traders, notable Squires, send out flyers for the show they do in fact mention that the Saturday and Sunday are less busy.

Of course if you are after a bargain on some particular item you could miss out by attending later. And of course this year, if you want one of the Limited Edition Class 47 locos they may well sell out on the Friday.

Whatever you decide I hope you thoroughly enjoy this year's show. 

Archie

Thanks Archie. I’m looking forward to the show.

Final fettling being done on Campo De Leste fleet and a super teaser article in the Continetal Modeller on the layout to whet the appetite for show goers. See you there where we bring a little hot Allentejan Sunshine to a cold Glasgow. S surprise RENFE addition to the Rail Tour fleet and a new Drasine should be present too. 

"The SDEG Crew"

post-657-0-89254400-1518280132_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Morning All ,

Well we are now on the final countdown to the ' Glasgow show ' as it's usually gets called .

I look forward to welcoming you to the show and hope you all have an enjoyable time .

And here comes my usual bit !

If there is anything that you are not happy with , while visiting , please ask to see me and I will try to resolve your problem as best I can . I would prefer you aired your views to me first rather than going home and posting up on here . Once you have left it is harder to help than when you are face to face with me - I don't bite . I have an office we can go to if needed and have a quiet chat or just see you where you ask to meet me .

You can just tell us you have had a great day out as well - there is usually a visitors book at stand 1 to write in ( remember when we used to do that !)

We have put a vast amout of work into bringing you this show and all for the love of the hobby - not for profit , self gratification or to be held up high by the visitors ( you will struggle with the last one with me ) .

Any info required should with be on here already or on the Model Rail Scotland 2018 web site .

One question which has been raised ( off here ) is with regards to the little shuttle buggy thing that runs from the car park to the door closest to hall 3 . It runs all day and is there for use by the disabled visitors or those of you who may be a little infirm .

If you need me please see any of the stewards or ask for me at stand 1 ( that's the one joined onto the class 47 sales one at the front door ) .

My details are

Mike Bartle

Operations Manager

Call sign Oscar 1 .

See you all soon and please try to have a good day out ......

Mike b

• Like 7

Hello

It's probably me being thick Mick but where do we get the vehicle pass from? Answers on a post card please.

Cheers

George

Hello

Thank-you Mick, see you soon.

Cheers

George

Just ordered my tickets from Rainbow Railway and booked my seat on the train from Montrose, I have some Pullman coaches that I no longer need, are you able to sell or swap with any of the traders?

I am sure most of them will trade if need be . Generally better looking to see if they will trade for a different piece of stock rather than money ( but that is up to the individuals )

Mike b

Rail Express are running on the theme of military railway which also has a nice link to Helensburgh's Trenches layout.

In addition we are working hard to secure some military re-enactment actors along with a model of the Compiègne Wagon (the historical wagon in which the First and Second Armistice at Compiègne were signed) November this year will mark 100 years since the signing of the first Armistice. Some fascinating history with of course a great railway connection.

• Like 2

'The Glasgow Show' as Modelrail Scotland is more popularly known down south is without doubt the premier show in Scotland.

The show has always attracted the big names like Hornby and Bachmann which speaks volumes about its quality and professionalism and continues to go from strength to strength.

This year we welcome Hattons alongside other major retailers like Rails which endorses the above and will afford even more variety for our visitors.

Less than a week to go now so all that remains is to wish everyone a great show and enjoy the weekend.

Dave.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

'The Glasgow Show' as Modelrail Scotland is more popularly known down south is without doubt the premier show in Scotland.

I suppose it would be if it wasn't for Perth...  I tend to think of Glasgow as perhaps being the best model railway show, while Perth is the best railway modellers show.

DT

You're comparing a provincial show with a national show...the cost of staging the three day Glasgow show is many many times that of the event at Perth and as said attracts the major names many who are happy to be show supporters.

Its a big show and by its nature caters for a wider audience but that doesn't dilute the show in any way for modellers rather it provides in addition to the trade and scale layouts plenty of interest for the next generation who we all should be encouraging.

I am not taking anything away from Perth ..its a first class show and arguably the next best show in Scotland always being consistent with its quality and indeed we have exhibited there and been warmly received but I would suggest that on quality of exhibits it offers no more

to the serious modeller.  

The Glasgow show is also unique in that its run by and for the AMRSS member clubs and is not profit making with all excess funds returned to the clubs without which many clubs would find it difficult to fund new layouts for future shows.

Not wanting to get into a discussion about 'best Scottish show' but hopefully made the point that while the two shows are excellent they are actually quite different too.

Enjoy the show DT!

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

First, I'm not quite sure why Glasgow is a national show and Perth merely a provincial one.  I have to say that I just regard them both as big model railway shows.

It's trade support that's the main difference for me - as someone who builds most of his models, I'm more interested in what might be termed niche traders than the big companies.  The Glasgow show is sadly lacking these.  I did once speak to a "niche" trader who said he had stopped going to Glasgow because sales there were poor and the show was too long, thereby increasing his accommodation and subsistence costs.  I look forward to helping him with his sales figures at Perth this year, however.  And to a certain extent, that rubs of on the nature of the layouts on show although Glasgow does seem to be improving (in my eyes at least) in that respect.

It is a the end of the road a matter of taste.  For me, with my specific interests, Glasgow is not the premier railway show in Scotland although it may well be in the opinion of others.  Certainly if you want a show with loads of mainly club layouts and plenty of RTR stuff at good prices, then I'm sure Glasgow is excellent.  I'm not particularly interested in these, however, and so shan't be going - for me it just isn't worth the 180 mile round trip though I'm sure that for loads of others it is, and I hope they enjoy the show.

DT

Edited by Torper

• RMweb Premium

The answer is of course there’s room for both shows . I enjoy them both . Perth is perhaps a bit more concentrated and maybe has more high end layouts as a % of the total. However Glasgow is the premier Scottish show both in size and in depth of exhibit. Yes there are lots of large , primarily RTR , layouts, but I like that as it shows what can be achieved with RTR. But , of course there are also the large masterpieces, Liverpool Lime Street and Mostyn last year for example.

Lots of great shows over the years. Thoroughly looking forward to this one.