• RMweb Gold

It is now only 8 weeks until Hall 3 of the SEC in Glasgow will resound again to the hubbub of Scotland's premier model railway show.

The Exhibition Team have once again put together what promises to be a great show with at least 50 layouts of varied scales and gauges from all over the UK. There will be a mix of preservation societies and hobby supporters and of course a wide and varied selection of trade stands and model railway manufacturers. New traders to the show this year will give an even greater diversity of modelling items for sale so that you can hopefully find those otherwise hard to source supplies. 

The show opens on Friday 23rd February from 10:30am to 6pm; on Saturday 24th February from 10am to 6pm and on Sunday 25th February from 10:30am to 5pm.

Advance tickets, costing £1 less than the price at the door, are already on sale. As always, advance ticket holders will be admitted 30 minutes before those visitors buying their ticket on the day of the show. A copy of the comprehensive exhibition guide printed to the same high quality as always is included free with all adult and family tickets.

You can order advance tickets for the show on our website at www.modelrail-scotland.co.uk using PayPal. You can also find out lots more about the show on the website.

Don't forget that we will have an exclusive limited edition Class 47 by Bachmann available for purchase at the show, number 47 708 Waverley. See the separate RM Web thread under the topic Bachmann Class 47 708 Waverley - Model Rail Scotland Ltd Edition Model

The SEC is a great exhibition venue for Model Rail Scotland and 2018 will be the show's 30th year there. Myself and the team look forward to seeing you there.

Archie Brown

Chairman

Association of Model Railway Societies in Scotland

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've just tried to purchase my "Advance tickets, costing £1 less than the price at the door" and when I went to purchase there was a £1 handling fee added.  So the £1 less suddenly disappears!

So why should I bother donating my money 2 months earlier than needed for no discount?  This is a Scottish exhibition - right?  :jester: 

I'll buy my ticket on the day, but thanks for trying  :nono: 

Edited by 55020

• RMweb Gold

If you envisage buying the guide book when you get there,and you like the idea of getting into the show 30 mins early, then the advance ticket does appear to be good value. If you do not intend to buy the guidebook, and the 30 mins early entry is of no interest then yes, the advance ticket would seem pointless.

Fair point regarding the £1 'saving' being added again as a fee.

• RMweb Gold

Just to clarify - the guidebook is free to everyone attending the show .

Mike b

In which case, my apologies. I read the OP to be the free guide was only with advanced tickets. The 30 min early entry then would appear to be the only incentive.

Best

Scotty

• RMweb Premium

Just bought a ticket. My train won't get into the Central until after 10.00 on the Friday, so the 30 minute advance entry will pass me by. Therefore, no incentive in buying early other than avoiding any queue for a ticket on the day. Looking forward to the show :)

• RMweb Premium

Even though there can be a long queue to get in , it is very well organised and fast moving . I’ll be going on two days . The only slight annoyance is that I’m paying twice for a show guide. I know it’s free , but of course it’s really included in the price of admission.

Shocker it’s been at the SECC for 30 years. I can remember the good old MacLellan galleries , and the one year it was held in Anderson.

But looking forward to it. Always a good show. By far the best way to get there is by train and avoid the horrendous SECC car parking charges. I think the train ticket is something like a 10p add on to my normal ticket price to get to Glasgow.

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

By far the best way to get there is by train and avoid the horrendous SECC car parking charges. I think the train ticket is something like a 10p add on to my normal ticket price to get to Glasgow.

Completely agree. Coming down from Aberdeenshire is a pleasure, straight to the show from my local station, albeit subject to an enjoyable meander from Queen Street to Central through some wonderful Glasgow architecture; and if planned well enough in advance, quite a bit cheaper than driving and parking.

The Glasgow and West of Scotland MRC had originally intended to display their brand new OO gauge layout - Reid Street - at this show, but due to a major fire in an adjacent building to our clubrooms last year and the subsequent soot, smoke and water damage, this layout and 2 others - Glenburn and St Ann's Depot were all written off and the consequence is that The Maxwell Colliery Loading Point will now be representing the club instead. I have attached a few photographs taken by Nigel Burkin of the layout and if you enjoy the sounds of Class 37s, 56s and 60s then this layout will have them in number. Thanks - Max Fowler

post-9544-0-52389800-1515002514.jpg

post-9544-0-94581200-1515002531.jpg

post-9544-0-50953100-1515002549.jpg

post-9544-0-75612000-1515002569_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-45574200-1515002591.jpg

post-9544-0-46860100-1515002641_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-72789300-1515002684_thumb.jpg

post-9544-0-06866800-1515002701_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Sorry to hear about the fire damage it must have been very disheartening when you had to write off the layouts all that work and Imagineering all gone to the skip hope you are able to build new layouts soon .Maxwell loading point is an excellent layout and I look forward to watching the interesting operations have a good exhibition.

Maxwell loading point is an excellent layout and I look forward to watching the interesting operations have a good exhibition.

Thanks for the comments. Please identify yourself at the show and I am sure we can arrange to let you see the workings from behind or even operate for a spell!!!! Max

Also very sad to hear about the fire-ruined layouts, so many hours of work gone.

Saw Maxwell Colliery Loading Point at Perth last year, an excellent layout and I look forward to seeing it again. Do you ever run it in a slightly earlier period, ie blue diesels with 20s, 26s and 37s for example ?

Saw Maxwell Colliery Loading Point at Perth last year, an excellent layout and I look forward to seeing it again. Do you ever run it in a slightly earlier period, ie blue diesels with 20s, 26s and 37s for example ?

Caradoc - thanks for the comments. It is much appreciated. The layout was built with various timeframes in mind ie rail blue, trainload and the fairly recent scene ie GBRF, EWS and Freightliner. However, while I have a reasonable number of rail blue 20s, and a few blue 37s and 47s, they are not chipped, or more importantly, sound chipped so the trainload era remains the main focus. A lottery win however could change the complexion entirely!! As with the offer to Imsforever, by all means say hello at the show and you are more than welcome to see the layout from the other side. Max

Hello

For any-one who is interested Georgemas Jct will be returning to Model Rail Scotland 2018 where it debuted seven years ago. It is not however showing on the list of layouts on the web-site though they are aware of the omission. Flying under the radar to an exhibition venue near you. See you next month.

Cheers

George

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As you may have seen from the rmweb home page, the voting is now open for the British Model Railway Awards. We are delighted that Model Rail Scotland is one of the nominees in the Best Exhibition category. If you love the show please vote for us and spread the word about the survey. Thanks.

The Friday of the show is one of the first days leave I book off work when I return to work after the Christmas break.

Looking forward to the show, although not sure what to make of the sudden upsurge in 47708s which are about to appear all over the place!

Caradoc - thanks for the comments. It is much appreciated. The layout was built with various timeframes in mind ie rail blue, trainload and the fairly recent scene ie GBRF, EWS and Freightliner. However, while I have a reasonable number of rail blue 20s, and a few blue 37s and 47s, they are not chipped, or more importantly, sound chipped so the trainload era remains the main focus. A lottery win however could change the complexion entirely!! As with the offer to Imsforever, by all means say hello at the show and you are more than welcome to see the layout from the other side. Max

At some point in the future I'll have a pair of blue 20's, a 26, 37 and 47/4 all sound fitted. Just need weathered up and the sound fitted. Might be persuaded to loan them and myself out.

Hotel booked, advance tickets bought, just need to decide between the Friday and the Saturday - is one usually quieter than the other?

• RMweb Premium

Friday is full of enthusiasts and gentlemen of a certain age(being one myself). You’ll probably find the trade stalls very busy. Saturday is also busy but the mix changes to families and small children , maybe a bit more space on trade stands, but of course the danger that bargain you were looking for has gone. Sunday I always think Is quietest.

Hello

Following on my from my comment that Georgemas Jct had been omitted from the Model Rail Scotland list of layouts I see today that it has now been added. Thank-you. Shame about the spelling though; it is Georgemas not Gorgemas. It is in Scotland, it is a real place, it is the most northerly junction in Britain. Never mind, at least we are coming.

Cheers

George

• Like 2

Hello

Following on my from my comment that Georgemas Jct had been omitted from the Model Rail Scotland list of layouts I see today that it has now been added. Thank-you. Shame about the spelling though; it is Georgemas not Gorgemas. It is in Scotland, it is a real place, it is the most northerly junction in Britain. Never mind, at least we are coming.

Cheers

George

Oops George ! Will say to Andy to change it .

Mike b

• Like 1