Yeah, the ploughs are part of the standard detailing pack, they'll be put to use elsewhere!

Yep I agree but if a Scotrail liveried plough fitted loco is desired there always 47461.

Dave.

post-2371-0-71089500-1516637569_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-57994000-1516637929.jpg

Edited by vitalspark
  • Like 4

Noted your 'like' WW and unless I am mistaken I am sure I have seen this very loco on your most excellent layout.

Dave.

Indeed you have, Dave. Well spotted. 

Here it is, just leaving Waverley and emerging into Princes St. Gardens...

post-7247-0-25183500-1516640866_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-63882100-1516640911_thumb.jpg

...and enjoying a brief moment of freedom on my photographic plank outside...

post-7247-0-86585500-1516641212_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I've actually got some time for modelling now that the guide is pretty much put to bed, so another couple of pics of our exclusive limited edition to whet the appetite, supplied etched nameplates, bogie and bufferbeam details fitted.

post-291-0-79495900-1516748351_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-78275500-1516748382_thumb.jpg

Craig

• Like 6

Just been looking at some pre-show information - helps with the info on getting the PR machine into action..

Of the Visiting Layouts 14 are on there first outing to Scotland of which 2 are on a debut outing - this is not bad going....

On the AMRSS (member clubs) layouts 1/3 are there first showing at Model Rail Scotland.

Full Layout listing is available on our website. http://www.modelrail-scotland.co.uk/ex2018layouts.html 

Excitement and it not even February!!

Glen Dochart O Scotland

Mordaunt Street O Scotland

Lochaber O Scotland

Aberdeen Kirkhill OO Scotland

Acton Parkway OO WCML

Aldbourne OO9 England

Broadford EM Australian Railways

Cameo Callaton 2mm FS BR (NE)

Canada Street EM BR

Chebstone OO England

Clifton & Lowther N WCML

Coppell OO NW England

Dalby Wood OO BR

Dunnlakin N Scotland

Friday Bridge EM BR (E)

Georgemass Junction OO Scotland

Gresten HOe Austria

Karolina Falls ON30 USA

Mosal Dale N LMS

Newhaven Harbour OO NSE

Triang Intercontinental N/A International

Franwood                     TMD OO uk

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

We're looking forward to attending the show with Allanbridge, now that the show guide has been pretty much put to bed at this end I can get on with some modelling, including the weathering of stock for Allanbridge's appearance at the show.

post-291-0-54017500-1517090899_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-21163300-1517090937_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-39340800-1517090992_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-53103000-1517091026_thumb.jpg

Craig

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to it. There is a thread on Scottish Region trains where mention was made of the Elderslie layout of Renfrew Mrc. Got me all nostalgic looking back over the years of Model Rail Scotland

I think my first visit must have been 1969. My mother took me because she knew I was mad on Trains. I can vaguely remember a large layout (probably O, although I didn’t know it then) with wires in middle of track. I got back with the Tri-ang Hornby book of trains , which is why I think it would be 69. My mother took me again in 73 , and you forget what an issue this would be for her because she seldom drove outside the local area, but this time drove to the centre of Glasgow on a Sunday, because there would be no traffic! I remember her being enthused at the Campbeltown and Macrahanish light railway layout .it had two sides to it . One side the harbour, the other the loco shed I think. How nice of her to spend the afternoon on something which must of been of little interest to her but she knew would be to me.

Come 74 and I was deemed old enough to go by myself( or maybe she couldn’t face another year).I loved the exhibitions in the Maclellan Galleries . Through the ticket booth, two small chambers either side but then the big event was in the main hall . Elderslie from Renfrew MRC was a favourite and I think appeared a few times. I can also remember a large layout from Ayr MRC with a high level terminus , low level terminus and MPD and a large oval linking both. Lots of Wrenn , or possibly 2 Rail Hornby Dublo . Great watching the shunting moves. Douglas Blades bookstall. Then up onto the balcony where all the railway and Tramway societies were. I think it was a one way system . When that was finished back down onto the main hall then up the panelled wooden stairs to emerge in the bright sunlight of the large upstairs hall . Lots of layouts . I remember a TT one in 1974 a throughnstation with a branch to a high level terminus. A beeline was made to McMillan Models or was it NF Miller/Railmail. Anyway the prime objective was to buy a new Hornby catalogue which had usually just come out in time for exhibition. By 77 it was the new Mainline and Airfix catalogues , 78 the Lima catalogue introducing the Crab and Western.

These were the days. I think it was 87 when it moved for one year only to Anderson, a bit of a dull , run down place. I remember there being a layout with a Townsend Thoresen car ferry on it. Unfortunately that weekend the disaster that was the Herald of Free Enterprise happened, which would put it as 6/3/87. As a mark of respect the ferry was removed the next day. Then off to the big shed that is SECC would that have been 88 or 89? Certainly lots more space , allowing exhibition to grow, even if it lost part of its charm. Somewhere along the line it moved from first week in March to last weekend in Feb, probably to do with school holidays.

So when I go now, it’s with a great sense of nostalgia for all those past visits . And of course it’s always an enjoyable exhibition even if the big shed lacks the architectural splendour of the MacLellan Galleries.

Edited by Legend
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Come 74 and I was deemed old enough to go by myself( or maybe she couldn’t face another year).I loved the exhibitions in the Maclellan Galleries . Through the ticket booth, two small chambers either side but then the big event was in the main hall . Elderslie from Renfrew MRC was a favourite and I think appeared a few times. I can also remember a large layout from Ayr MRC with a high level terminus , low level terminus and MPD and a large oval linking both. Lots of Wrenn , or possibly 2 Rail Hornby Dublo . Great watching the shunting moves.

Great memories and similar to my own. My Mum would take me up to the McLelland Galleries each year on the train, starting in '74.  Dad was at the show for the whole weekend as a founder member of Ayr MRG. Was alays a thrill going into the great hall, with the massive layouts of Eastwood Park & Renfrewshire MRC looking out for Ayr, and being 'lifted over the barrier'

A 6 year old me, Model Rail Scotland '74

post-22167-0-44621600-1517210778_thumb.jpg

Ayr's first layout that you describe, was a huge hit. It had a hidden spiral which I think was quite novel back in the day, and people would be amazed as a train would disappear into the tunnel on the low level only to emerge on the upper deck.

A memory from that year that my Dad often retold, is that it was the time of the 3 day week and frequent power cuts. One such power cut happened bringing all layouts to a halt. My dad and a few others nipped out and got their car batteries, wired up the layouts and got trains running, with a hastily made sign saying Ayr's layout is still running. Looking back now as I write this, I wonder just how much of a urban myth that was for an impressionable young lad like me!.

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ayr MRG first layout under construction.

Ayrshire Post 25 May 1973.pdf

My Dad is in the article, Jim Campbell, and he was the treasurer of the AMRSS for many years in the 70's-80's and is solely responsible for my continuing interest in model railways all these years later.

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Scottish Exile. Yes that’s the layout . I used to stand and watch the shunting at that station . a layout for £350 . Happy days .

I'm off on one now. Also remember the layouts of East Kilbride MRC.  There was one that was a country terminus ,MPD and distillery, which again I could happily watch the shunting. Then I remember a big Aviemore layout . Did they also do Beattock? And of course they had the excellent Crawford at its best with LMS or Caley motive power. 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great memories and similar to my own. My Mum would take me up to the McLelland Galleries each year on the train, starting in '74.  Dad was at the show for the whole weekend as a founder member of Ayr MRG. Was alays a thrill going into the great hall, with the massive layouts of Eastwood Park & Renfrewshire MRC looking out for Ayr, and being 'lifted over the barrier'

A 6 year old me, Model Rail Scotland '74

attachicon.gifimg008.jpg

Ayr's first layout that you describe, was a huge hit. It had a hidden spiral which I think was quite novel back in the day, and people would be amazed as a train would disappear into the tunnel on the low level only to emerge on the upper deck.

A memory from that year that my Dad often retold, is that it was the time of the 3 day week and frequent power cuts. One such power cut happened bringing all layouts to a halt. My dad and a few others nipped out and got their car batteries, wired up the layouts and got trains running, with a hastily made sign saying Ayr's layout is still running. Looking back now as I write this, I wonder just how much of a urban myth that was for an impressionable young lad like me!.

Brilliant pic, before my time but one small legacy that still partly lives on albeit not at Model Rail Scotland are the "AMRSS standard" layout barriers, at one time a standard set of barrier drawings were produced so that member clubs could make their own with the idea being that multiple clubs could joins them up for bigger shows, I knew nothing of this as my first model rail was in the late 80's at the SECC until we managed to acquire some old ones from another club which we refurbished for our own club's use, eventually making more to the same design, they look just like the ones in the pic!

Craig

• Like 1

My first visit was 1985, after I moved north to Scotland. i was night shift that weekend and decided to go on the way in for the Friday night turn, however there were severe delays on the Cathcart Circle (IIRC due to a fatality) and by the time I got to the McLellan Galleries they wouldn't let me in because it was too close to closing time ! So I had to get up early on the Saturday to go then instead. Still a great show, and I have been to every one since.

• Like 3

Hi

Great reading about your recollections about our club (Ayr mrg) The layout you mention, if I remember correctly was called Dundonald. It was the first layout I saw when I joined the club as a teenager. It was huge with three stations and two engine sheds and two fleischmann turntables. I would hate to try and transport it to an exhibition now.

We will be attending Glasgow this year with our new 00 gauge layout Pathhead. It's set in the 80/90s and is roughly based around New Cumnock. Coal was still king in Ayrshire. As were class 20's,26's and double headed 37s. I don't think I need to tell you anymore. We hope you enjoy what we've tried to create.

Regards

Stephen Cunningham

Secretary

Ayr model railway group

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for telling us a bit more about Dundonald. I loved the layout , but I think possibly belongs to that era where really we ran anything we could get our hands on , so Wrenn Castles mixed with A4s etc . That said it would be nice to see a layout of that scale and complexity . It was fun , which is what it’s all about.

I’ll look forward to Pathhead. Ayr always produces a good layout. I enjoyed your O gauge Elderslie layout last year. The station buildings were superb.

Thanks for telling us a bit more about Dundonald. I loved the layout , but I think possibly belongs to that era where really we ran anything we could get our hands on , so Wrenn Castles mixed with A4s etc . That said it would be nice to see a layout of that scale and complexity . It was fun , which is what it’s all about.

I’ll look forward to Pathhead. Ayr always produces a good layout. I enjoyed your O gauge Elderslie layout last year. The station buildings were superb.

It has never stopped Kyle MRC and fair play to them, there is always a place for the big roundy-roundy with lots of rule 1 variety! :locomotive:

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a role for all layouts . You can have the pendonesque ones that are really terrific and at the same time the large roundy roundy. I like both , to be honest. Yes Kyle usually puts on a good show , Bishopton , as well with its bus system, always attracts the crowds , although I've never really understood the fixation on British HO.

Edited by Legend

Don't quite have the same heritage of some relating to attending the Glasgow show, however I still remember my first visit which was when Graham Farish introduced 47708 Waverley in N gauge.  I was with a school friend and his dad who had what was then a new fangled mobile phone.  Wonder if that was that the one at Anderson referred to above?

Anyway don't think I have missed one since the mid 90s.

A few years ago there was a layout which I really liked and would love to see again.  I think it was DCC but I am not sure.  It was set in the BR Blue period, possibly set in England rather than Scotland and included a station where the haulage was changed from electric and diesel locos.  I think it was viewed from all four sides.  Would be grateful if anyone can remember what the layout was called and if it is still on the go. 

• Like 1

A few years ago there was a layout which I really liked and would love to see again.  I think it was DCC but I am not sure.  It was set in the BR Blue period, possibly set in England rather than Scotland and included a station where the haulage was changed from electric and diesel locos.  I think it was viewed from all four sides.  Would be grateful if anyone can remember what the layout was called and if it is still on the go.

I think the layouts name was Dagworth and was presented by Andi Dell in 2010. Fellow DEMU members can confirm. Max

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep, that's my old layout, Dagworth. Nice to know that it is still remembered. I still have it here and I am planning on refurbishing it with larger corner boards to solve some serious operational problems.

Keep an eye on the new one too, Ravensclyffe http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3288-ravensclyffe/

Andi

Andi

• Like 4