A couple of photos, after adding some barrels, sacks, luggage and a hand trolley by the canal side and on the platform. The canal warehouse now has a sack on the hoist attended by a warehouseman. The ‘Steampunk’ stationmaster is now in place waiting for the ‘Rocket’ to pass through. I am making a metal ladder, from copper wire, to access the light tower from the canal side, and finalising the backscene. So that should be all, though no doubt I will add a few extras now and again! I still have a collection of cogs and chains.... Oh and there is a story?!!  :rolleyes:

18F2F5DD-4F7A-4261-95A6-6D92A4F6A5D0.jpeg.400fe0729ca1f988be346b0a481e1bda.jpeg

03305473-7EED-4036-8EC9-6B2C9AA8C5F8.jpeg.b637e0b505816a2615ce63432ad77af5.jpeg

That squint chimney stack, needs an equally quaint chimney pot to finish it off! :crazy_mini:

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Putting finishing touches to the model today. The lefthand side of the backscene is hidden behind the station. I have drawn some random silhouettes of London buildings and combined it with a smoke effect photo to suggest a ‘smoggy’ London skyline.  Created in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

F0A5FB12-CF7D-4ECB-8ABC-F6E3D465F51C.jpeg.42ead3f56f298dae9049afcb9e52ecef.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am really glad you finally finished this one Marly. It has taken a long time but is worth all the hard work, I can see why you didn't finish it in time for the original comp. maybe Phil will do a theme for the unfinished from other comps class.

I love the back scene and the story. the tower on the right is fascinating, trying to work out it's purpose, maybe a signal tower for semaphore or homing pigeons or even a clacks (Disc World)

Well done  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the lovely comment, Geoff! To be honest, I’m enjoying the modelling and don’t always feel like rushing to complete them, but I try to not have too many unfinished projects! That tower evolved from a free lighthouse kit download, which was intended for gaming. My cut down version was obviously too narrow to access the top without an external ladder. I was imagining the top holding some kind of light or brazier.

Planning to purchase Perspex display cubes for all my CakeBox attempts! 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Just seen that you've finished.  It has more than lived up to its considerable promise.

The Steampunk essence distilled ("Basset Lowke" should take notes!).

Brilliant stuff. Compositionally and aesthetically brilliant. 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

On 28/07/2019 at 16:36, Marly51 said:

Some of the group had been members of a steam heritage society whose reinstated line already passed through their ‘hamlet’ and provided access to the country for food supplies, from farms beyond the city boundary. Coal was available from abandoned stocks, which existed near closed-down coal mines, where the seams of coal were still viable... what does the future hold for these survivors?”

This reminds me of a review in 'The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction' of the original 1970s 'Survivors' drama ,in which the reviewer wondered why the eponymous survivors put so much effort into locating and running diesel generators and then trying to find fuel for same when they could have just used old traction and stationary engines instead.

• Like 1