Newbie question: How to set acceleration & deceleration on dcc

Hoping someone can help a newbie.

Today at a local toy fair I purchased a second hand Hornby GWR hall class (R2743) that has had a sound chip fitted. The chap I bought it from said that the sound when the loco moves is out of sync with the movement of the loco. When testing it at home I can see that the loco moves faster than the sound being output from the chip. When comparing the hall with a different dcc chipped loco (non-sound) it moves a lot faster from the off than the second loco - which has a more realistic slow movement when first moving.

So I am guessing that I need to slow down the loco when it first moves. I'm assuming to do this I need to set the acceleration and deceleration rates. This is where I'm being a little bit of a thick newbie. The controller is a Prodigy Advanced. I currently have the speed steps set to 28 but I have no idea how to change the way the loco moves when first starting up. Ive looked at the instructions but it does not really tell me what values to put in.

I could not get the prodigy to change the address - it seemed stuck on 3. Using a Hornby select I was able to change it to 4 and when tested on the prodigy afterwards it was now set at the new address of 4. I know the prodigy is working ok as I have used it to change other loco addresses.

Can anyone help please?

Rates of acceleration and deceleration are set respectively in CV's 3 and 4. Whether you can find settings that satisfactorily sync the sound effects with the movement is something of a lottery, you will just have to experiment.

What's really required is a sensor for axle rotation so that you get the four or six beats per revolution locked in to driving wheel rotation. But that's not generally provided on UK RTR steam product.

Being unable to change the address with the Prodigy but able to change with the Select and the sound not being in sync with the movement could be an indication that the sound chip is a Hornby TTS decoder. Early versions of some of these decoders are known to be faulty and can be returned to Hornby for updating. You need to identify what chip is fitted before going any further, I think.

Might be worth reading the chuff rate paragraph here

Don't bother with this at this stage. These CVs are for a specific decoder which may not be the correct one.

First thing to do is to read the value in CV8. This will give the maker's NMRA serial number. From this you can determine the decoder brand by checking against the list on the NMRA website

When you know this, you can Google for the correct instruction for that brand.

Kind regards,

Paul

Don't bother with this at this stage. These CVs are for a specific decoder which may not be the correct one.

First thing to do is to read the value in CV8. This will give the maker's NMRA serial number. From this you can determine the decoder brand by checking against the list on the NMRA website

When you know this, you can Google for the correct instruction for that brand.

Kind regards,

Paul

Ok how do I check cv8?

edit: Just to note. I can not read the CV numbers with the prodigy as it says err - which according to the instructions tells me the chip is not readable by the system. Neither can the select read the CVs either as it was not designed to. I suspect it is a Hornby one for a simple reason. In the box with the loco was a small package with a Hornby leaflet and a shrink rap. On opening the tender i cannot see the details on the decoder as its is already shrink rapped.

Edited by antonyvw