Smallest O gauge layout possible with operating potential

RateTheFreight

Evening all,

Apologies if the above has been answered before or is a bit generic, repetitive, vague or all of the above.

I'm curious as to the smallest O gauge layout that you could build with some limited operating potential (I.e at least one point so some minimal shunting could be done).

I don't have much space for a permanent layout (something 4/5ft long by 2ft wide comes to mind) however have a nice collection of vintage/modern 'coarse scale' o gauge which I love the feel, look and size of. Traditionally I've run it on the lounge floor as a temp layout however as fun as it is to run its a pain to set up and put away.

I've been tempted by some of Dapols smaller offerings loco wise and have thought of building a very small O gauge layout but can't find anything specific that's convinced me such a small layout could be viable and fun to build and operate. Given time constraints with work, other hobbies (football) etc i tend to just spend a few hours a week modelling/running trains for which a small layout is ideal. Naturally I appreciate that if such a layout is viable using modern (2 rail) track is preferable.

Anyhow, if anyone has any thoughts, things they could share that might inspire me or otherwise I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Funnily enough I'm doing just the same but in OO gauge.

I guess it depends on what you want to operate, freight, passenger or both.

In my case I'm going for both, so it will have to be railcars / bubble cars and small freight trains using small wagons.

I'm going for a fork layout, the idea being one siding for the station and the other for a provender store/yard.

In more modern times you could have a station and a engineers siding.

Operation is very limited in a small space but with a fork set up you can use the station as a siding too for forming/shunting trains.

You could also go down the pointless route and use a cassette / sector plate or traverser instead of points, I find less is more so try not to cram to much in.

I hope that has helped you in some way.

I wish you all the best with your project.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for taking the time to reply; some useful and thought provoking ideas.

Ironically I too had been considering doing a small OO layout (think inglenook) but there's just something about the size of O that appeals. My time spent 'playing' with my coarse scale O gauge trains enhanced this.

I'm keen on steam so I'd imagine id be looking to run a terrier/jinty and a couple of wagons or maybe an autocoach. I've always liked being able to run different eras so a bubble car and an 08 could be an interesting combo with some wagons.

I'd wondered whether I could create a smaller O gauge inglenook using less wagons but setting it somewhere ie a small station or yard even it the back line or similar was 'static' and used to pose other stock leaving a small siding to do some shunting.

Greg

Edited by RateTheFreight

Depends what you mean by "operating potential" I suppose. This layout of mine is 4'8" long (including hidden track) by 12" wide.... no points; 2 sidings served by a cassette; provides a nice relaxing half-hour to an hour of gentle shunting - jut swapping a few wagons around really, and makes a good backdrop for photos of bigger engines too.

"Lyddlow Goods"

post-704-0-94789300-1506977537_thumb.jpg

post-704-0-77369600-1506183852_thumb.jpg

post-704-0-79075900-1509310674_thumb.jpg

post-704-0-96006900-1509310637_thumb.jpg
Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 17

Depends what you mean by "operating potential" I suppose. This layout of mine is 4'8" long (including hidden track) by 12" wide.... no points; 2 sidings served by a cassette; provides a nice relaxing half-hour to an hour of gentle shunting - jut swapping a few wagons around really, and makes a good backdrop for photos of bigger engines too.

"Lyddlow Goods"

Nice job on 3675.

I sometimes think people think too big. I am planning a Gauge One(45mm gauge) layout with one point and  a couple of working wagon turntables, all on the lids of 3 boxfiles. I think that works out at just over 3ft long. Not sure when I will actually start, as I have lots of other projects planned, not helped by someone coming up with that cakebox challenge, which has inspired me to see just how compact I can pack a working layout down into.

Looking at Bob's old layout there, many of his did not have points, and one Iremember(first time I met him) was just a single length of track, which he could operate for a complete 2 day  exhibition.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

I've built an 0 gauge Inglenook (5-3-3) in 6' 6" x 1' 4",

which was generous/comfortable.

You could go a lot smaller if you choose to do the

3-2-2 version, the full version has approx. 5,000

variations, the smaller still has over 2,000, so you

are unlikely to be bored too soon!

Edited by jcm@gwr
  • Like 1

Hi Greg. I am building an O gauge micro which will go on travels in our caravan!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128038-stoneferry-engineering-o-gauge-micro/

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for replying; love the idea of your layout, looks ideal for my space constraints.

Out of interest what width is your layout?

Greg

I've built an 0 gauge Inglenook (5-3-3) in 6' 6" x 1' 4",

which was generous/comfortable.

You could go a lot smaller if you choose to do the

4-2-2 version, the full version has approx. 5,000

variations, the smaller still has over 2,000, so you

are unlikely to be bored too soon!

Hi JCM, I don’t suppose you know what minimum dimensions you might need for the 4-2-2 version?

Greg

Hi JCM, I don’t suppose you know what minimum dimensions you might need for the 4-2-2 version?

Greg

Ahh! The Million Dollar question!

And a correction, I should have said 3-2-2!

(I'll edit my previous post)

That all depends on the size of your wagons and loco,

then the radius and type of pointwork, even the type

of couplings (ie automatic, for hands-free operation).

The best/easiest way to find out, is to measure out a

rake of 3 wagons and then the loco & 2 wagons.

Allow for the point-work, and clearance between the

sidings, also for the un-coupling area (if using), that

should give you the minimum size, but I would 'round

it up' a bit, to make life easier.

I would also recommend checking www.Carendt.com

Good luck, and have fun.

Thanks all for you’re replies over the last 24 hours, all of which have been of great help and, pivotally, convinced me that I can do the kind of micro O gauge layout I had in my mind.

I’ll keep following those of you who have active projects on the go in the hope of further inspiration. Likewise I’ll hopefully do my own project blog too.

I’m rather excited about the next steps.

A happy new year to you all.

Greg

• Like 1

Hi Greg...

I was able to make use of a space of 48 x 16 inches to accomodate a single point / three siding Inglenook microlayout in 0 gauge called Maenol Mine which gave me enormous scope for detailing and was very interesting to operate.

I documented it's construction here back in 2012.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14287-maenol-mine-an-update/page-1?hl=maenol

Randall

Colin French, one of whose earlier layouts is in the GOG book, has an excellent micro-layout based on a back corner of Wolverton Works, which IIRC has no points, but has a working wagon turntable, which provides lots of interest. It's about 18" square.

Guest Isambarduk

There was another thread running on this topic, here:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98416-small-layout-plan-help/

Mention of the GOG “small layouts” booklet, there is a second part since published, but I’m not too sure if it’s on the archive.

See here: www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98416-small-layout-plan-help/?p=1862188

and here:  www.gauge0guild.com/images/Sales/Books.jpg

David