davidmcc3

I've been following a similar topic by dessire_luvals (Barnstaple Junction in EM Gauge) for the last couple of years, and I've posted a couple of times.

I've now got to the point where I've got things I can post about my layout ... so I've started a new topic, not wanting to hijack dessire_luvals' topic.

I've learned an awful lot by belonging to my local Club, South Hants MRC - there are some amazing modellers in the Club, and everyone is always so willing to answer my questions.

I've never been one to follow the well-trodden paths of others, so I've been learning from my friends, and developing my own ideas. There are a number of things which are still undecided ... the type of couplings for exampe ... and I'm also wavering about using EM or 00. I had fully intended this to be an EM layout, but I'm wondering if the time and cost savings (mostly time) of using 00 might be the best route for me - time is not on my side.

What have I decided?

1. Radio control - no more expensive than DCC, and a huge saving in time (no track wiring, polarity switching etc.)
  2. MERG and servo control of the points and signals - route-setting, not interlocked, but with 'illegal' route warnings
  3. Constructed so the layout can be exhibited, with additional 'plain track' sections which don't fit into the loft!
  4. As little as possible positioned under the layout - servos, electronics and wiring running in 'service' channels' along the board edges
  5. The operating sequence to be mid-week so there are plenty of freight workings, and covering a whole day

I'll add details and some pictures in the next post ... now it's time to get back to building the layout!

David.

• Like 7

Hi David

Good luck with this. It sounds fascinating. I’m intrigued by the radio control.

I have used MERG stuff and servos on points and signals. I’m happy with it but mine is a permenant layout.

If you want speed of build, go oo, but if you want a better appearance and have the time to make track, go for a wider gauge.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

See you later on Thursday by the way as I am bowling with my ex-work collegues. I know where you are comming from with regards to the EM/OO dilema. The track has to be hand built to produce a prototypical layout, but even as a committed EM modeller, in your case I think I would compromise by hand building the track in OO, allowing the use of RTR stock. Just means you will only be able to use the test track at club.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Sounds like a great project, I will be following with interest. 

Its really appealing to have a layout with no track wiring, I'm particularly keen to see how you get on with radio-control in 4mm scale.  Several people in my club do it, but they are all 0-Gauge, where there is a lot more space for the components.

With regard to the 00/EM quandary, the question I raise is:  What gauge does your club work in?  And do you want to be able to host Club visits and run "guest trains" on your layout? 

How much appropriate stock do you already have?  I suggest that all these may have a bearing on your final decision.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with the project.

Dave.

• 10 months later...

I wish you luck whether EM or 00. I started modelling to EM gauge in the 1950s and did not find any great difficulties, but I was the only person in the area doing so. So none of my friends could run their stock on my layout. Eventually I built a dual gauge layout of EM/00.

My sons and my railway friends could use the 00 whilst I used the EM, and later, I built some 00 gauge locos to get some interchange running. Yes it was a pain at times but I have never regretted my decision to model to EM gauge. If you do decide to go wider my advice is to join the EM Gauge Society. It is the best model railway society I know, and I have been a member for 52 years. They are a friendly crowd, far more that the S4Society, and I have been a member of that group for 42 years.

If I were starting again, I would still go for EM although I like the appearance of track built to S4 standards.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I expect everyone thought I'd forgotten about my posts here on RMweb ... I'm sorry there's been such a large gap!

I've actually built most of the boards for the station area, now. I have two more for the end of the goods yard, and then it will be the exit from Barnstaple Junction east and west. I will post some photos later.

After months of dithering (which isn't really like me), I've finally decided to go to 00 finescale. The decision largely comes down to these factors:

• I don't currently have the skills to re-wheel locos and re-build con rods and valve gear (which would be required for all the 'N' class locos
  • I might be able to acquire those skills, but it would take time
  • The cost of re-wheeling the locos and all the stock is considerable
  • I'm short of both time and money!

At the beginning of this year, I built two turnouts using Exactoscale components and ply sleepers ... and the second one looks quite good. Then I plunged in (much to the horror of my Club friends) and built the crossover section at the country end of the layout. This consists of five diamonds, all at different angles, and lots of check rails. I've tested it with a wagon or two, and it does need a little fettling. What it really needs is a loco to go over it.

I'm about to buy my first set of RC gear from Protocab so I can convert a loco and test my work. This will be one of their existing units so I can get it this week.

Protocab have recently announced a production run of their new series controller, the 0241. This is what I've been waiting for, as my layout will need the facilities the 0241 has, which are not in the first controller. This production run will happen next spring, but only if they get enough pre-orders. I will ultimately need three of the 0241 controllers, so I've placed my order for three units ... I need the production run to go ahead, so I've committed.

They will be at Warley this year ... unfortunately I won't be able to go and speak to them.

If anyone who reads this thread is thinking about buying the new 0241 controller, I urge you to place a pre-order (to get to the target) ... the price will go up next year too. Details of the 0241 and the associated batteries and chips can be found in a PDF which is on their Shop page for the 0241 - this is the link: 0241 Starter Set

I'll be back.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...