AySea's occasional 3D Printed Stuff

I don't post on here very often, but I thought I would share this as it's something different (as far as I know) and I can use this topic for any other 3D printed stuff I consider worth sharing on here.

I've been having a bit of a play with some 3D printing using Shapeways over the last few months and then decided to experiment with an idea.
In the past I've modified some Peco Loco Lifts to make them slightly shorter and I wondered about joining together two Loco Lifts to fit a DMU without uncoupling the two halves.

So, I have designed a replacement part to do just that. The photo below shows a standard Peco Loco Lift alongside a double length one using my 3D printed extension arch to join the two units together.

25487739768_918d7530f0_z.jpg

The video below shows the extension arch as it arrives from Shapeways and how to assemble it all, followed by a demonstration video showing a two car DMU being lifted off the track with the Loco Lift. There is a bit of sagging in the middle when lifted where the two halves join, but with care it works and I never actually glued it all together, so that may help. I'm thinking some kind of diagonal supports running from the ends to the top of the centre may help, but haven't tried that yet.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Been a long while, but thought this was worth sharing. I started it towards the end of 2017, but then never found time to finish it off. At the time, I thought it would be good to make some extra detail parts that could be attached to the N gauge Kestrel Designs kits to improve their appearance a little and give a bit more variety when using multiples of the same building.

So to start with, I decided to make a shop name board with door and windows surround to fit the Kestrel Designs shop kit, code GMKD02.

My initial version was a little on the thin side, so warped quite a bit, although it did glue on to the kit nicely, fitting exactly where I wanted it. Having made a few adjustments to the design of the second version, I got it printed shortly after the original version back in 2017 and I've now only just got around to trying to glue this one in place.

I found there had been a tiny bit of warping, but not as much as the original one. Earlier this week, I glued it to the front of another Kestrel Designs shop kit and made a start on painting it.

The progress on this is shown below.

spacer.png

I've made a couple more designs that I am waiting to arrive from Shapeways and will post photos of those up when I've got them.

• Like 2

Funny you should mention Crich, I volunteer up there occassionally, although nowhere near as often as I used to in recent years. You've given me a couple of ideas though that I hadn't thought about before, thanks.

• 1 month later...

Time for an update:

The last lot of 3D prints arrived from Shapeways a couple of weeks ago and are shown in the photo below. Doesn't really show the detail very well, but it'll do for now.

49903638633_3e5d91804b_z.jpg

The ones on the left hand side of the photo are all designed to fit in the same way as my previous design, the two on the right hand side are designed for kits that have been modified to include only one window from the shop front.

The one bottom left is the same style as one in my previous post, but extended outwards to give more space in the shop for window displays. The one bottom right is to convert a Kestrel Designs shop kit to mimic the Burnley Corporation Tramways office facade which now stands at Crich Tramway Village in Derbyshire, but without the town name so it isn't tied to a specific location.

Since they arrived, I've modified a Kestrel Designs shop kit to fit the Corporation Tramways frontage and sprayed it in black primer so that the detail can be seen better.

49944296708_d439912915_z.jpg

Pretty pleased with how that one has turned out. Just needs painting and glazing now.

• Like 4

Thought I'd share another photo of the remaining shop fronts from my previous post. They have now had a coat of black primer so you can see the detail on them a bit better than you could before.

49952348791_6652d3d756_z.jpg

They're all still attached to cocktail sticks using blue tack if you're wondering what the funny things attached to them are.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1