Class 124 DMU Trans Pennine Bogies 4mm Source

Jamiel

Hi

I would be really grateful for some advice regarding a source for 4mm (OO gauge) bogies for a Trans Pennine 6 car (eventually) set I am building. I am looking at Comet Models (through Wizard), Dart Castings, maybe Hornby spares or any other source people can recommend. I am using Comet 65ft chassis, Replica Railways modified bodies for the structure of the cars.

I might be being blind, but I can't seem to find the right match for the bogies used on the class. It does look like the same bogies were used through both the powered and non powered cars.

Here is a montage of various photos showing bogies on the cars.

TPBogies.jpg

Here is what Railcar.co.uk say (http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-124/description)
"The bogies had a wheelbase of 8 ft. 6 in.; were of riveted construction from rolled-steel sections and fabricated sub-assemblies. The rolled-steel disc wheels were 36 in. dia. Timken roller-bearing axleboxes were provided with manganese-steel liners."

My first thought was the 8 ft.6 Comet bogies, but they appear to have a round bump on the top of each bogie frame, it could be filed off. I am happy to add the bearings and springs from separate castings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

I have found one really good match, but for two problems.

http://www.easybuildcoaches.co.uk/TOP/BOGIE%20KITS.html

I can't find any information as to what gauge Easybuild make (I am guessing O gauge/7mm) and the the price, which would also imply O gauge. Their kits look really beautiful and incredibly detailed (another O gauge hint).

The good new is that the bogies look like standard BR DMU 8'6" bogies, withe square Timken bearing boxes on them.

Probable solution found.

hornby-x8895-class-110-dmu-dummy-bogie-c

The Hornby class 110 bogies are almost identical, the bit in the middle would need reshaping, but a little plasticard would do the job. I would buy just the plastic outsides, but the photo of those isn't very good.

I think the Dart casting 8'6" bogie frames would be a good fit for the centre.

2556_1.jpg

I am still open to suggestions for a source for a good all in one kit for the bogies though.

Edited by Jamiel

The 124's had Swindon built bogies. Bachmann sell sets of these separately as spares.

Thanks for that.

I have had a quick look on the web, but can not see any listings for them. I tried Hattons, Peterspares and Ebay, as well as well as couple of listings that came up on Google, but no luck.

I also tried the Bachmann site.

The MK1 bogies are very close, but are not as close as the Hornby spares for the 110 DMU.

Do you know of any source for them? I am interested to look at all options.

Many thanks.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

The old Trix Trans-Pennine bogies (perhaps oddly) are 4mm scale - 34mm w.b. (I just double-checked the mouldings with a steel rule) They also have the correct pattern bolster with that distinctive triangular pattern.

Complete bogies

Frames only

Wow. I have just checked the ones I have from a full Trix kit I have and you are right. I will leave those in the kit as I plan to sell it as the complete kit I bought when I have finished this project, but I have snapped up the ones you linked. I think I will have to put some nicer wheels on them, but they will solve my quest.

Thank you so much.

Jamie

• Like 1