As I have been on leave today some progress on multiple fronts!

The plastic in the tender has been primed

post-3038-0-69881800-1464717919_thumb.jpg

and then painted black

post-3038-0-09375800-1464717928_thumb.jpg

You need to do this in case any of the coal moves and you don't want to see white underneath. I have now coaled the tender. I have used an impact glue in the coal well but the tube split and some of it went over the side of the tender. Its a good job I had used about 4 coats of Johnsons Klear as I managed to get it off with a cotton bud and white spirit with no harm to the transfers underneath. I need to soak with dilute white glue to seal it in so that will be an update for the next post.

Followers of this topic will have been watching the somewhat slow progress of the signal boxes and will be wondering whats going on!. I have been working on the interiors and these are nearly done. However as I had the primer out I decided to coat the roofs. I had previously painted the larger box with an acrylic grey but because of glue seepage there were some parts that it would not take to so I have primed the roofs and they are now a red brick colour. This is only temporary.

post-3038-0-70031200-1464717936_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-32812500-1464717947_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-98764600-1464717958_thumb.jpg

I shall now start the grey again. No more progress on the MK1 but I have now got some better paint I hope. I did however paint he underframe of a half finished Parkside brake van so I have that to finish off. I think I will use this as a test for the Glue N Glaze.

All for now

Paul R

• Like 8

Steve

They are Springside kits for a signal box interior. They are not specifically GER but they convey what I want through the box windows.

This is something i should like to see done by Peco as a plastic kit.

Paul R

Shadow

That would have been a great alternative. I think the Springside version may be based on a GWR prototype but the equipment looks very similar. Most of the detail probably won't ever get seen but I know it's there!

Paul R

Another brief update.  The B2 tender has been coaled and glued as per the earlier post. The photos below show the results.

post-3038-0-47006400-1465140365_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-96809900-1465140396_thumb.jpg

An a cruel close up!

post-3038-0-54991500-1465140377_thumb.jpg

Having used this glue method for the first time I am not sure I am happy with it. Sure its real coal but it looks like washed real coal with little of the dirt and dust. I may have to go over it again and glue a fresh level on. The earlier work is not wasted as it provides a solid black mass underneath in case some of the top layer fails. I also think I put too much water on the coal since having left the tender for over a week when I picked it up it started flowing out over the back of the water filler end of the tender!

I need to get coal in places where its not supposed to be in any event from overspill so another coat is not going to hurt. Thoughts anyone?

Paul R

• Like 3

Just posted these on the West Kirby Town thread and thought they might be of interest to followers of this thread.

They are aluminium angle on Sundeala. The gauge is set quite tight so there is no slop. I have no trouble with flanges riding up the thickness of the aluminium seemingly the same as flange depth!

post-3038-0-96488400-1465239317_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-40895200-1465239324_thumb.jpg

Please ignore the stag which is not destined for the layout but is a repair job - and no I didn't break it!

Paul R

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

I was going to say that wildlife feature didn't quite work in my opinion! :)

Like the idea of using aluminium L shape for both track and presumably power?  Do you do anything to stop things rolling off either end when their being moved?

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

After several further goes I have to confess I cannot get the lining; pens to run paint how I want it on the MK1. I have reluctantly had to give that up and will have to order some pressfix transfers. Does anyone know how much white lining you get on the BR coach sheet as its not clear from the HMRS web site?

This is a  huge disappointment as I successfully lined my F5 many years ago with these pens. However on the coach there are too many projections to get  ruler to stay straight. Disappointingly I can't even get the paid to flow through the Bob Moore lining pen even with lighter fuel as recommended by Bob.

I may have to soak in cellulose thinners but I have to say I can get a cats whisker through the 0.3mm tube so I am not sure where I am going wrong.

I can get the bow pen to work on a flat surface but the paint just won't line properly on the coach.

any thoughts 

Paul R

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report at present. No work on the MK1 pending lining! 

So I have now covered the single box roofs in a coat of grey paint. Quite pleased with this as it has come out with a slight sheen that I think represents slates very well. I will however weather it down a bit in the final analysis.

See what you think

post-3038-0-48277400-1466947447_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-59505100-1466947458_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-05415800-1466947476_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-68220900-1466947486_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-25872400-1466947496_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-79367000-1466947505_thumb.jpg

I need to think about gutters and downpipes now. I wonder if the 4mm Wills versions are any good since they were always over scale.

Other than that I think S and D models do some

All for now

Paul R

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of posts this last week or two. Household chores and family visits!

So with work on the Mk1 on hold pending transfers I have been turning my hand to other uncompleted projects including the signal boxes as will be apparent from earlier posts. I have also made a new fall plate to replace the one I lost if only because Sod's law says it will turn up once I have finished the new one!.

I have used Scalelike chequer plate brass which was surprisingly thin when I took it out of the packet so I laminated two bits together with the resistance soldering iron and then attached the bar which fits between two split pins. The photo shows it in primed state ready for painting

post-3038-0-53097900-1467824214_thumb.jpg

The photo shows some touching up is needed on the black roof and evidence of overpaint on the green! A cruel photo indeed.

Next job will be to make the window glasses. Despite having the Deluxe materials glue n glaze I think I am going to make the side windows from microscope slides. The cab front spectacles may well end up being glue n glaze with a glass fall back if it doesn't look up to much.

I have also been painting some unfinished Parkside wagons.

Anyhow onwards and upwards

Paul R

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My photo of White Notley c.1975 does indeed have a bus style setright ticket machine on the table which produced small square paper tickets. As I recall the occupant dried his teabags on the line jnside too lol. Please post your interior result. Id love to see the model tea bags too!

Awesome detail set. Seen on Flickr too.

FYI Just publishing Ron Smiths detailed diary of the last days af steam 1955/56 in Briaintree in next GER Society Journal. It will have descriptions and numbers of locos and carriages too

I remember those tickets! As a boy my mother would take my brother and I to Braintree quite often and we always rode up behind the driver in the DMU which I recall was mostly Cravens. Once he let us into the cab!

I also remember one time we went to Maldon instead in the Waggon and Mashinenbau rails. Remember sitting in the front alongside the drivers cabin.

I would have been about 4 or 5 given the line closed in 1964. Had it escaped the axe it would have probably survived and been electrified. Wonder what they would have done about the wooden bridges.

Paul R

You beat me! Lived in Dunmow Cressing(Bulford) and Braintree in 70s.

I did walk from Dunmow to Braintree just before Dunmow viaduct was blown. Wouldn't surprise me if I was the very last person to make that journey. Photos on my Flickr/beechwoodphotography photostream.

Remember gas lighting o Cressing. Original Braintree station building and 37 with UKF train.

First elecric that never happened etc. All recorded on my photostream.

Steven Duhig,

Stevenduhig@juno.com

• 1 month later...

Have spent an enjoyable few hours on and off reading this thread. The time period is a bit late compared to mine (mine is 1900-1905), but a very enjoyable read! Will be good to see when all the boards are joined together and track laid! The B2 is looking really nice!

Sorry to hear about the issues with the Mk1 lining, hope all that's sorted now! The signalboxes are very well done - when I get around to building one or two for my planned layout I will be very happy if I can get it to look as good as those two!

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to an update soon!

Peter

Thanks for your comments Peter.

There is not much to report presently. I have been filing glass for the windows and lost one of them down the back of or in the toolbag. It's taken me a week to find it again but it's now been finally fettled and both are ready to be glued in. I am hoping the De Luxe materials glue and glaze will mean I can get away with not having to make spectacle glazing. Hopefully I will be ready to fit this afternoon.

I'd very much like to get all the boards up and have a running session but I have nowhere at home I can do that. I also want to make that 6th scenic board so that trains have a longer run into the layout and I can fit a few more buildings in.

The B2 is now almost finished. Just the windows, tender coupling and weathering to be done!

Just about to order the MK 1 transfers and I have a couple of wagons to finish and then it's in with the next kit.

Oh and the signal boxes to finish!

I'll get there!

Paul R

• Like 1

Well small update!

B2 is now practically done. All I need is a crew - that I had bought is not good so I have placed an order with Invertrain for something else.

Here is a short video of the loco on test. Apologies for the poor quality - it was getting dark

There is a small bind somewhere in the chassis and it really needs half an hour on a  test rack or rolling road. A bit of oil will help also.

So now I need to think about the weathering. Might get to try my new airbrush.

I will put the loco on the layout tomorrow and hopefully post a few pics

all for now

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Here is a second video.

The chassis has had a oil and the tender squeak has disappeared.

Still a bit noisy so I may oil the gear chain.

A bit longer run this time but the quality of the vide has not improved much - sorry

Paul R

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1