Looking forward to seeing more.

Roadrailer depot was I believe in Great Easton/Lt. Canfield. Probably the old airfield siding. There is a picture of the train at Braintree but most of the testing was towards Bishops Stortford and that mainline. My OO Scale Roadrailer kits:

https://flic.kr/p/K99Qvj

Edited by SDuhig

Meantime here are some updated signal box photos.

post-3038-0-59161800-1538121089_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-95773200-1538121096_thumb.jpg

ONly now need to put in doors - which are being painted - signs and the signalmen. Then I need to add some weathering particulalry to those roofs

Paul R

post-3038-0-59161800-1538121089_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-95773200-1538121096_thumb.jpg

Edited by pwr
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh wow... Really getting into it isn't he! 

Good luck. Certainly enough detail coming through for a 7mm version.

Thanks for posting. I am watching that thread too.

Steven 

there is a guy on here looking to make resin casts of these and has worked up a 3d CAD model

See here 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137195-psl-roadrailer-project-detail-cad-for-resin-cast-or-3d-print/?hl=roadrailer

There are a couople of us pushing for a 7mm version

Paul R

Just a quick update.

Took delivery of a third Dapol Esso tanker at the recent Uckfield show and snapped up one of the LLC Class 15 baragains from Hattons. I had been after an original condition version for some time and was eying up a slightly discounted version at another retailer. I am glad I waited as this one was a complete bargain.

post-3038-0-34608600-1540566966_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-58789900-1540566972_thumb.jpg

I could do with one or two more of these tankers so I can run a short oil train to Braintree goods yard. 5 or 6 wagons, two barriers, a loco and brake van will just about fit the cassette! 

All for now

Paul R

post-3038-0-34608600-1540566966_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-58789900-1540566972_thumb.jpg

Edited by pwr
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry about the lack of posts recently - modelling time severely limited.

Santa was kind this year abnd in addition to a goodly supply of books, he left a green Dapol 08 and three Heljan OBA wagons to add to the one I already had thanks to a certain Liverpool retailer having a rather good sale.

Anyhow here are some pictures of the only two boards I can put up presently

post-3038-0-30580600-1546407731_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-45199400-1546407743_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-73595400-1546407750_thumb.jpg

I also treated myself to the new Peco Police box and the photo below shows the partly completed structure next to the Black Notley bus shelter. I was going to place it next to the phone box that is destined to stand here but the Police Box is too big!

post-3038-0-68993500-1546407757_thumb.jpg

In reality these things were only installed in metropolitan cities (can anyone confirm otherwise). However it is presumed that Black Notley has no Police station and the Chief Constable of the Essex Constabulary felt that some of the village locations in the county would benefit and enable a greater Police visibility. That's my story anyway. Since I took this I have painted it and will now look to install the windows. The boxes were red in Scotland until the 1960's and the advent of a certain time traveller when they were repainted blue.

The final photo shows the site with the phone box. The Police Box can now be installed on the other side of the bus shelter.

All for now

Paul R

post-3038-0-05756900-1546407770_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Day off today so doing some work on the layout.

Police box now painted with transfers added.

It needs a coat of Satin Varnish which I am out of so that will have to be done later in the week.

post-3038-0-01969500-1547043810_thumb.jpg

Its a very simple kit to build. The lamp has not been fixed in yet as I don't want the varnish covering it

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Police box is now finished and posed on the layout. As explained earlier this is not likley to be its final location as it looks too big for the space. I am quite pleased with this albeit I think the kit is a tad on the expensive side.

Now going to finish off those signal boxes. I have some glazing to repair and then the roofs can go on.

post-3038-0-90111100-1548049304_thumb.jpg

post-3038-0-68059400-1548049320_thumb.jpg

Paul R

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Sorry about the complete lack of posts recently - time marches on and I have not been able to deveote as much time to modelling as I would have liked. The signal boxes are almost finished! I am just painting the signalmen! I am also working on a tablet exchange plaform that will sit opposite the gate box and allow the driver of departing trains to lean out of the window or cab without the signalman having to go to the platform to receive or hand out the token.

In the meantime I have had a notable birthday and the wife bouight me a maroon Western. I was going to go for a green warship but had a change of heart at the last minute although its still on the shopping list!

An Ale van was another present from the daughterWestern-2.jpg.edc3efbd9f9e06ed8eea243272b5aa9a.jpgWestern-3.jpg.169a493acee8d1303cf625a6598fd537.jpg

Western-1.jpg.42b82074acb6cc4070235b40c0cfec14.jpgWestern-4.jpg.c116e88a8121515f83ad4c77e8a8ef9d.jpgAle-1.jpg.c9e27b0a285239b6bfe2bc432a92861a.jpg

All for now

Paul R

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

As usual significant time has gone by since my last post and in reality I have done very little with the layout. I am still tinkering around with the signal boxes  - minor details only. I have some glazing bars to refix and to add the fire buckets and some paint to redo but these are now practically done. 

I have been building a tablet exchange platform to sit opposite the signal box at the level crossing end of the layout.  This is prototypically incorrect as tablets always seem to be exchanged on the platform but of course the real Cressing station had the signal box right at the end of the platform and not the other side of the crossing.  The idea is that for Witham bound trains the signalman can simply cross the line and hop up the steps to hand the tablet to the driver. This being for the introduction of DMU's to the line to avoid the driver having to cross the cab and lean out.

Last week we went to the Tinkers Park model railway plus event. the plus being a bus rally!

I manged to pick up this AEC Regent 3.

Bus-3.jpg.08e52db949ae3003b500b3142cfb65c7.jpg

Bus-2.jpg.69a39c82b897acd4d9a000c5266ba5ee.jpg

Bus-1.jpg.c575f21065f3494a4e2ae53db98cb548.jpg

The bus was packaged and research suggests it was part of a Hachette partwork.

Unusually for a die cast bus its 1/43 scale (and says so on the bottom) but I have no idea who made it. It was possibly an Italian production since most of the other buses were foreign and again all to 1/43. Its very well detailed although the logo is incorrect. Anyone know where you can get 1/43 bus transfers?

I have also acquired the new Oxford 1/43 Weymann fanfare which looks the bees knees. I'll post some pictures of this next week since I am on holidays and the first three days I am on my own as the wife is still at work so the plan is to work on the layout. The difference in scale to 1/50 is very evident and I hope it sells well and prompts Oxford to produce more. I am sure a Bristol RE or Lodekka would sell well and there are many liveries available

I have official permission to extend the layout but I don't think she realises what that entails. What I am going to do is build two new 6ft long fiddle yard boards and use the one I currently have at the Witham end as a new scenic board. It will be plain line track but it will even up the scenic board numbers for transport. The new boards will simply be plain tops but will enable me to have longer trains staged than I currently have. That leaves me with one spare plain board which will later form part of a further extension at the Braintree end. I'll need another short board for that but that's not for now.

Another Dapol Esso tanker arrived last week bringing the total to 4 plus the Heljan model. I keep thinking I could really do with 2 more!

Anyhow more next week

All for now

Paul R

• Like 2

That Western looks nice Paul, I did enjoy my Western and Warships on my ''OO'' Pencarne Layout, there very impressive, the Bus looks like a nice find as well.

Keep the pics and Post's coming please.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

You cannot have a London Country bus in the middle of Eastern National country....the locals will be confused.

It would have been lovely to see one of them big red engines pass where I lived in Witham.....I use to live at the bottom end of Church Street where the old crossing to Braintree Road use to be. A footbridge was put in its place when the Braintree line was electrocuted (well that is what my first wife's mum said had happened). The old gate crossing cottage at the time was the home to a railwayman, every now and then a train would stop under the bridge and he would jump down form the cab and go through his back gate.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Clive

You are of course correct. I had a mind to repaint it but I don't think Eastern National had any Regent 3's

it was such a lovely model I couldn't resist. 

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, pwr said:

Clive

You are of course correct. I had a mind to repaint it but I don't think Eastern National had any Regent 3's

it was such a lovely model I couldn't resist. 

Paul

Hi Paul

Eastern National was a tiiling bus company and was mainly Bristols with ECW bodywork. I cannot recall them having anything that looked like a London RT.

I have just checked the Moores of Kelvedon list to see if they had any AECs but they seem to be a stronghold for Guy Arabs post war.

Osbournes of Tollesbury had a ex LT RT.

Hicks of Braintree appear to be a Leyland and Guy customer.

In my quick search I haven't found a historical list of Hedingham buses.  

Clive

I am impressed that you looked - thank you.

I suspected that was the case. I really would love an RE although it was very much a seventies bus!

Anyhow Rule 1 applies!

Paul R

• Like 1

Well first day of the holiday and its chucking it down so I cant get outside to build the two new boards.

I do have the wood following a shopping trip to the builders merchants on Saturday. Also because ply only seems to come on 8' x 4' sheets the offcut at the top is enough to build a new board as part of phase 4 extensions in which two more standard size boards are inserted at the Braintree end of the layout after the dropped bridge section. I already have the old Braintree fiddle yard board so this will back to back with the new one and I will eventually have 8 scenic boards

The old Witham end board  is now being prepped for tracklaying - a simple single track from end to end.

The photo shows the cork glued on ahead of tracklaying.

Board-1.jpg.00ecd156e3011e2c4ecaa00178c3aa25.jpg

The next photo shows progress on the tablet exchange platform.

Tablet-1.jpg.92099f7b97a6738a996dae762c9dfb84.jpg

The rain has stopped now  and the sun come out so you never know I may get some carpentry done this afternoon after all

I'll keep posting the pics

Paul R

• Like 3

Now on to some serious baseboard construction as its not raining.

The wood laid out

wood-1.jpg.1857c8c617a67b7a6520bc41f972a6d4.jpg

Some serious tools here

tools-1.jpg.9d6c6a26e392cf2a427e67811c1a0873.jpg

This is the unbraced board

Board-3.jpg.347b737cf94a34c5c1209a14c0798ec6.jpg

The battery on the impact driver is out so I am breaking for lunch.

All for this morning

Paul R

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

22 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Nearest an RT would be to you would have been Ongar I think don't think they made it to Chelmsford ,its a long time since I lived in LT country and then we had proper buses ,RT,RTL,RTW AND RF,S  .Like the signal boxes.

I think you could be right. 

It was such a good mode and 1:43 I could not resist!

Paul R