And in other news.

I have made up the boards but underestimated the supply of wood! I am 4 bits short on the bracing which will now have to wait until Thursday when the wife is also on leave so I can get some more from the timber merchants.

In the meantime I can get on with the legs and the wiring.  

Given only two wires needs to cross the new scenic board and into the fiddle yard I am going to use the board catches as electrical feeds.

The cassettes will be powered using copper tape stuck to the board which will contact with another bit under the cassette folded round and set under the aluminium channel. Simply putting the cassette in position will mean it is live. pushing it away will make it dead. I'll explain more when I do the photos.

I am packing up for the day. Tomorrow its supposed to rain so it will be indoor work. Hopefully I can get the track down on the new board.

All for now

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Its raining here in Sussex today so I can't get outside to make the legs. 

So as an alternative I am getting a bit of wiring done on the extension boards.

AS promised here is a photo of the wire attached to the clips.

wire-1.jpg.6a3afe3fceecb17473afc52d14909560.jpg

I think this is a rather neat way of getting power across a board end.

I am thinking of covering the wire in hot glue to protect it from getting snagged.

Anyhow more  next time

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 hours ago, pwr said:

Its raining here in Sussex today so I can't get outside to make the legs. 

So as an alternative I am getting a bit of wiring done on the extension boards.

wire-1.jpg.6a3afe3fceecb17473afc52d14909560.jpg

I am thinking of covering the wire in hot glue to protect it from getting snagged.

Anyhow more  next time

Paul R

Now that is BLOOMIN CLEVER Paul, what a brilliant idea mate, well done.:good:

Andy

When I started this layout it was supposed to be simple to set up and operate with minimal wires across each board. The most I have is via 2 8 pin DIN plugs.  1 DIN plug links the other boards apart from these latest ones where all I need are two wires!  There are no points on these or thee planned further extension at the Braintree end.

Because of that there are three  CDU's, one for each board where there are point controls! A 12v DC control bus runs along the whole layout and some boards have additionally a 20v AC bus for the points. 

It would actually be easy to convert this to DCC since all bits of rail already have a feed. However I am not going that way currently although I do admire these diesel sound layouts. DCC without sound is a non starter for me but sound just gives it an extra dimension although I remain unconvinced about steam sounds I have heard so far. There are some more recent ones that sound good and I think this is more to do with better speakers rather than the sound files themselves.

Wait till you see the cunning plan for the cassettes!

Paul R

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, pwr said:

Andy

When I started this layout it was supposed to be simple to set up and operate with minimal wires across each board. The most I have is via 2 8 pin DIN plugs.  1 DIN plug links the other boards apart from these latest ones where all I need are two wires!  There are no points on these or thee planned further extension at the Braintree end. 

................much edited...................

Paul R

Having lived for many years in Essex, Colchester, Witham, Chelmsford and mainly Little Waltham, I fully agree their is no point in Braintree. :tomato::tomato:

• Funny 2

10 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Having lived for many years in Essex, Colchester, Witham, Chelmsford and mainly Little Waltham, I fully agree their is no point in Braintree. :tomato::tomato:

Having visited Braintree Station when my Daughter lived there, all I can say is...………...UNDERWHELMED, :notme: and totally pointless.

Edited by Andrew P
add words
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, pwr said:

Anyhow more  next time

Paul R

I guess you could replace the screw with a bolt straight through, and clamp the wire on the back between a couple of washers and nut. Save on the hot glue, and drilling a hole for the wire (but need to drill hole for the bolt..)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, raymw said:

I guess you could replace the screw with a bolt straight through, and clamp the wire on the back between a couple of washers and nut. Save on the hot glue, and drilling a hole for the wire (but need to drill hole for the bolt..)

Yes that may be possible but there is a bracing strip behind the fixing. I am going to use that method on the cassette connection.

Next time I should plan it better!

Paul

Well today has been spent working on the new scenic board and I am pleased to say the track is down fixed and wired with power flowing through the  board clips.  

No work done on the new fiddle yards but the weather tomorrow is predicted to be bad. However I can now work on the new scenic board separately and I can do that indoors once painted.

Anyhow here are the pictures from today's activities.

New-Board-1.jpg.99f4a97033b75006415e494e401c2eac.jpg

New-Board-2.jpg.dff3ed14bc7c3ce787797c220d0ba494.jpg

New-Board-3.jpg.4fc7e73cb7cb70033f507fb19b45af7e.jpg

New-Board-4.jpg.d55ff8afe84ddeb25580c5b2fdfd71b1.jpg

The extensions will mean that the layout is now 33 feet long and will be 40 feet once the phase 5 extensions go in at the Braintree end. However the concept is that it can be exhibited with or without these 2 new boards.

Anyhow all for today

Paul R

• Like 8

Not much to report so far this week. I have painted the track on the new boards. I am not going to ballast it yet as I want to get the entire layout up this week. I can do ballasting in the house! I have also finished the remaining support cross pieces on the Braintree Fiddle yard.

Track-1.jpg.863f1fd1a856e8e8febd64fbec35d7fd.jpg

I ha e official permission to make the legs today and I have the wood in stock although I noticed the other day that one of the pieces cut for me is the shape of a banana despite careful checking at the timber merchants. Once that's done I will connect up the Witham end fiddle yard and finish the wring. Them I will try and build some more cassettes before the whole layout goes up and the Braintree end fiddle yard is installed which is currently planned for Friday.

Friday is the official running day so I hope to get plenty of photos and video. 

Paul R

• Like 3

Well yesterday was fine if a little too warm but it enabled us to get the layout up in its entirety for the first time ever including to 2 new extension boards.

Despite not being used in a year it worked - mostly. Have a feed problem at the Witham end point and a couple of point motors that are not firing properly.

This first photo shows the layout from the Witham end.

Aug23-1.jpg.8cbf5c513df759e23404e581234dd305.jpg

The new run in extension board is shown and the current transfer through the board toggle catches works well.

The second photo shows the copper strips that will take the current to the cassettes. I have not modified these as yet but I did note the cassettes are slightly warped but the weight of the loco and train should sort that out. I need to drill through and place bolts with washers to which I will connect the current from the toggle catches. As soon as you place a cassette on the copper it should be live.  Once I get some modified I will report back but the picture is almost self explanatory.Aug-23-2.jpg.4c98a246a989c9cb722d1361f9d45377.jpg

The third photo of this batch shows the crossing area with the new 1/43 scale bus at the bus stop. I must say its so much better than the 1/50 models. I didn't unfortunately get a chance to try the new Oxford Weymann out.

Aug-23-3.jpg.915a86bf1afb8a229d825b3e8473986e.jpg

I am going to post in batches so that was the first.

Paul R

• Like 3

Here are a couple of the signal box in position.

Aug23-4.jpg.c3c737916d02107bdddcc3d43a1bfab7.jpg

Aug23-5.jpg

This third one shows the 04 which was the first 0 Gauge item I ever built and although it got damaged by falling out of a van I still have a sentimental attachment to it despite the fact various bits are missing. The light shows off the layout well.

Aug23-6.jpg

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 6

More stills. The first shows the full extent of the layout from the other end.

Aug23-7.jpg.df9a1ff9dfddf409e757d57c9bd2b8c1.jpg

This second one shows the almost complete extent of my oil train - only the Heljan is not shown. 

Aug23-8.jpg.f825fb76f1a6e3962f102585f325b8f4.jpg

Now what'Aug23-9.jpg.451e4205d587ed9ab678af1f801fd228.jpgs this Western doing parked up on a GER branch

Paul R

• Like 4

Just had a peak at your Peak Paul, it does look nice, I must admit, but the Bank Manager says NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo:nono::D

The Layout looks excellent mate, just need to build a canopy over so that it can be set up permanently.:good:

The next image is a replica of the North Elmham milk train as immortalised in some of the late Frank Church photo collection. I always wanted to model this and there are so many haulage combinations including the J15 which I have yet to build!

The Claude is an old SM Models Kit which was pig to build but the end result was worth it

Aug23-10.jpg.536ea63194ec875ed54ac81184cd804b.jpg

And then two more of the pair of Class 15's. I also have one of these with full yellow ends.

Aug23-11.jpg.333446b0bf63bb609827e4f0423bf863.jpg

Aug23-12.jpg.1870a5e55568d1e0fb677fa90e975b81.jpg

I must get round to fixing the drooping post box

Paul R

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Just had a peak at your Peak Paul, it does look nice, I must admit, but the Bank Manager says NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo:nono::D

The Layout looks excellent mate, just need to build a canopy over so that it can be set up permanently.:good:

Yes that would be good. Loads more work to do though. The next building will be a model of the real Cressing Station

Paul R

• Like 1