Now a set dedicated to Andy Peters!

I know how you feel mate! I would like a green Warship!

The Peak arrives at Notley on the vans. These are destined for the Lake and Elliott works in Braintree - well the non perishable stuff anyhow!

Aug23-22.jpg.45ddc45cd190000ba9952c40a4527cc5.jpg

Aug-23-23.jpg.220f374c95a66ec06b5b59aed9bf0bc4.jpg

I am rather pleased with the advert board on the signal box which replicates one seen in photographs!

Aug23-24.jpg.f3a30f592ba9a30da2ecd3d6704adb48.jpg

Paul R

• Like 6

The final two for this session. Not sure the wife will be that impressed that she was in the photo!

Aug23-25.jpg.b1c832072b344a3def58c2998dc4014a.jpg

And this is still my favourite loco. The prototype did run from Norwich to London but in the lime green livery not tis one which it gained when it went west! Still rule one applies.

Aug23-26.jpg.b78d43d91c3f85925b4c82e9d729bc69.jpg

All for now

Paul R

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

If your running a Peak, a Western and the class 53 on the Witless and Brainless branch then a London Country bus isn't a problem. :yes:

Anyhow 2 BTHs now that is just greedy. 100_5145a.jpg.91edfdb0bd1cdb4d7216fac512bb16ed.jpg

Five with Hawk, the middle one in the front row was made my friend Robin Idle, the others by me. 

100_5137a.jpg.fd6cd2317d86d780985164060cf6c45e.jpg

Two more out on the mainline.

100_5026d.jpg.5978aa5f36cda6b880cdd6e006ef115f.jpg

Another two under construction....will they ever be finished?

I do have a Heljan one, still unsure about it.

As for class 53s I still need a blue one, the dark green is from my own workshop and the light green is a Silver Fox model.

100_4873a.jpg.33f5583c38bea22edd56ff40fc8e0930.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

If your running a Peak, a Western and the class 53 on the Witless and Brainless branch then a London Country bus isn't a problem. :yes:

Anyhow 2 BTHs now that is just greedy. 100_5145a.jpg.91edfdb0bd1cdb4d7216fac512bb16ed.jpg

Five with Hawk, the middle one in the front row was made my friend Robin Idle, the others by me. 

100_5137a.jpg.fd6cd2317d86d780985164060cf6c45e.jpg

Two more out on the mainline.

100_5026d.jpg.5978aa5f36cda6b880cdd6e006ef115f.jpg

Another two under construction....will they ever be finished?

I do have a Heljan one, still unsure about it.

As for class 53s I still need a blue one, the dark green is from my own workshop and the light green is a Silver Fox model.

100_4873a.jpg.33f5583c38bea22edd56ff40fc8e0930.jpg

Err I have 3 Class 15’s! That is greedy! 

I also have an old El Crappo kit of one. Doubt I will ever get round to building it now!  

I do have the blue 53 also but didn’t run it this session. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, pwr said:

The final two for this session. Not sure the wife will be that impressed that she was in the photo!

Aug23-25.jpg.b1c832072b344a3def58c2998dc4014a.jpg

And this is still my favourite loco. The prototype did run from Norwich to London but in the lime green livery not tis one which it gained when it went west! Still rule one applies.

Aug23-26.jpg.b78d43d91c3f85925b4c82e9d729bc69.jpg

All for now

Paul R

No Paul, She was adding up the cost of all the Locos mate, looks like your credit card is in for a hammering on shoes and handbags, haha:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, Andrew P said:

No Paul, She was adding up the cost of all the Locos mate, looks like your credit card is in for a hammering on shoes and handbags, haha:laugh:

the trick  is not to get all the stock out at once! Fortunately my wife is not big on handbags and shoes!

Paul R

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I am loving the Peak. Takes me back to my spotting days at Nottingham station.

Mates I wonder if they would modify the tooling and do a 44

Paul R 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well the wife is out for this afternoon so I have taken the opportunity to build a new style longer cassette incorporating copper foil tape to make the connections.  

The first photo shows you the idea. Provided you tighten the bolts holding the aluminium angle as far as they will go you get a good connection and current flows through the tape to the aluminium. 

New-Cassette-1.jpg.4be035e03f5031750956265e0b9f95a3.jpg

The second photo shows the cassette on the new fiddle yard board sitting astride the copper tape. The initial hope tat current would flow though here with the cassette sitting on the tape have not proved successful and no current transfers from the board to the cassette. Current thoughts are to solder a washer to the foil under the cassette and see if that does the job. 

The connections are repeated at each end of the cassette so stock can be turned!

New-Cassette-2.jpg.cd9e38c170e6b78dcf4392feea381a5b.jpg

If the washer idea does not work I am going to have to stick a thin sheet of card to the board and tape over that.  That might be a better alternative since I only have to modify the board and not each cassette.

I'll post how I get on but I am done for the day as I have had to clean up one of our cats who had a lump of s**t stuck up his backside and being a long haired cat it needs to be combed out and washed. He was not impressed and I am no longer his friend.

All for now

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, raymw said:

It will be interesting to see if the copper and aluminium react when the current flows, (and then ceases to flow). It'll probably be OK in the short term, but maybe not after a year or two.

I am hoping that as they will only be live for very short periods it won’t be too much of a problem. Worst case scenario I will have to unbolt the aluminum strips and change the copper - uncharted territory for me but if this works it will make the fiddle yards so easy to operate! 

Paul R

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, pwr said:

I seem to have acquired another class 15. That’s 4 in three liveries! How many is too many? 

Paul R 

Not a Loco that would be on my list Paul, but then I have 3 x Class 60's now, :o in 3 different Liveries,:nono: so yes your right, you can never have too many, if you like them mate:good:.

I do like a 60 but it’s outside of my timeframes so I have restrained on that one. Class 15’s did a lot of running about in pairs so it’s ok!  And it was a bargain price! 

I do hope the Heljan  56 doesn’t arrive too early though - there’s nothing left in the credit card! 

Paul R 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pwr said:

I do like a 60 but it’s outside of my timeframes so I have restrained on that one. Class 15’s did a lot of running about in pairs so it’s ok!  And it was a bargain price! 

I do hope the Heljan  56 doesn’t arrive too early though - there’s nothing left in the credit card! 

Paul R 

I'm gonna have to sell my soul, my Wife and my heart, (BUT not my Dog), to buy any more big beauties.

In all seriousness, I'm holding back on O Gauge purchases until I know how much room (if any) I'll have after the House move, but I am still buying Bargain OO Stock though.

I have seen photos in Dr Allen's books of pairs of these on the Mildenhall sand trains but I am not sure which depot they worked from.

Single locos worked the Maldon branch but I have never seen a photo of them on the Braintree branch. It would be logical if they did but I have only seen photos of 31's. 37's in the seventies on the fertiliser trains

Perhaps someone out there has a picture?

Paul R

Hi Paul

I suspect it’s out of your era but BTH Class 1s regularly worked the Braintree to B Stortford branch in the 60s. I used to see them regularly at Felsted on pick up and sugar beet traffic. I don’t have a picture but when the LLC model was in full swing, there was a link to the Preservation group and that certainly had a photo of a 15 at Braintree heading for the sugar beet factory.

I wish I could give more photographic evidence but I’m not senile and they were there!

Best wishes 

Bob

• RMweb Gold
On 24/08/2019 at 15:44, pwr said:

The next image is a replica of the North Elmham milk train as immortalised in some of the late Frank Church photo collection. I always wanted to model this and there are so many haulage combinations including the J15 which I have yet to build!

The Claude is an old SM Models Kit which was pig to build but the end result was worth it

Aug23-10.jpg.536ea63194ec875ed54ac81184cd804b.jpg

And then two more of the pair of Class 15's. I also have one of these with full yellow ends.

Aug23-11.jpg.333446b0bf63bb609827e4f0423bf863.jpg

Aug23-12.jpg.1870a5e55568d1e0fb677fa90e975b81.jpg

I must get round to fixing the drooping post box

Paul R

A GPO engineer in overalls and an inspector discussing it would be an option.

Don

• RMweb Gold
On 31/08/2019 at 17:57, pwr said:

Well the wife is out for this afternoon so I have taken the opportunity to build a new style longer cassette incorporating copper foil tape to make the connections.  

The first photo shows you the idea. Provided you tighten the bolts holding the aluminium angle as far as they will go you get a good connection and current flows through the tape to the aluminium. 

New-Cassette-1.jpg.4be035e03f5031750956265e0b9f95a3.jpg

The second photo shows the cassette on the new fiddle yard board sitting astride the copper tape. The initial hope tat current would flow though here with the cassette sitting on the tape have not proved successful and no current transfers from the board to the cassette. Current thoughts are to solder a washer to the foil under the cassette and see if that does the job. 

The connections are repeated at each end of the cassette so stock can be turned!

New-Cassette-2.jpg.cd9e38c170e6b78dcf4392feea381a5b.jpg

If the washer idea does not work I am going to have to stick a thin sheet of card to the board and tape over that.  That might be a better alternative since I only have to modify the board and not each cassette.

I'll post how I get on but I am done for the day as I have had to clean up one of our cats who had a lump of s**t stuck up his backside and being a long haired cat it needs to be combed out and washed. He was not impressed and I am no longer his friend.

All for now

Paul R

I shall have to take a photo of the solution we came up with for our club 0 gauge layout. Using some short pieces of angle we made a connecter on one rail at each end so all the cassettes will clip together and to some short pieces at the join to the layout. Which conduct quite nicely.

As for the last paragraph you have my sympathy our small terrier will keep eating fallen plums which cause problems. When she drags her backside along (commonly known as toboganning) it needs to washed out.

Don

On 13/09/2019 at 08:22, Donw said:

I shall have to take a photo of the solution we came up with for our club 0 gauge layout. Using some short pieces of angle we made a connecter on one rail at each end so all the cassettes will clip together and to some short pieces at the join to the layout. Which conduct quite nicely.

As for the last paragraph you have my sympathy our small terrier will keep eating fallen plums which cause problems. When she drags her backside along (commonly known as toboganning) it needs to washed out.

Don

Will look forward to seeing those. I had an idea to mount some of the aluminium angle on to a dowel so it could be located into the baseboard top to both locate the cassette and provide a power linkage. When not in use they could be taken out so the bard remained completely flat.

I am pleased to report the cat has a completely clean backside!

Paul R

On 12/09/2019 at 19:01, boeing7572t6 said:

Hi Paul

I suspect it’s out of your era but BTH Class 1s regularly worked the Braintree to B Stortford branch in the 60s. I used to see them regularly at Felsted on pick up and sugar beet traffic. I don’t have a picture but when the LLC model was in full swing, there was a link to the Preservation group and that certainly had a photo of a 15 at Braintree heading for the sugar beet factory.

I wish I could give more photographic evidence but I’m not senile and they were there!

Best wishes 

Bob

Bob

I know that site and will have a look. 

thanks

Paul R